Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I searched and I don't think this made it onto here when it was published in 2019, so here's a funny Hushkit article with some eminently doable whiffs in it:

https://hushkit.net/2019/06/11/the-greatest-aircraft-that-never-were/

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Tophe

:wub: Wow! Thanks for sharing!
I especially love the twin-boom "By-12" (Vu-12 in our Latin alphabet) ;D
The airplane "Connasse" could not be sold in France, meaning the insult "stupid girl/lady", illegal...  :-\ ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Medjoe

Stumbled on a wonderful sci-fi interpretation of the already whiffy MiG-37.

More pictures here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/comments/p2000z/mig37b_xwing_with_leds_and_original_bandai_decals/
Have a look at my what-ifs at http://medjoe.deviantart.com/gallery/56223018/What-ifs
"Mobilis in Mobili"

Weaver

Quote from: Medjoe on August 10, 2021, 04:39:53 PM
Stumbled on a wonderful sci-fi interpretation of the already whiffy MiG-37.

Oh yeah that looks like it belongs. Imagine if it had another pair of tails pointing downwards at the same angle...

- Indiana Jones

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on August 05, 2021, 01:34:13 AM
Posted on Twitter here https://twitter.com/gepardtatze/status/1422999876258967552?s=20 by @gepardtatze

One for Tophe, methinks...

This is now on my to do list. I just need something to make the booms out of. There is some brass tubes in my dads shop..........
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rheged

It's possibly a De Havilland  Vulture........ the logical ground attack development of the Vampire, Venom and Sea Vixen.     
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

I'd suggest OV-10 tails, they even come with the bonus of swept fins and would IMHO match stylistically. They could be a little short, though.  :o
The short central fuselage would not work with the GAU/8A gun, though - or the ammunition drum must be much shorter. It takes up a lot of space behind the cockpit, more than in the CG rendition.  ;)

kerick

I as thinking of lengthening the fuselage pod just for looks and for the APU but ammo storage would be essential. Of course the whole CG is way off anyway but what the heck!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 11, 2021, 11:41:15 PM
I'd suggest OV-10 tails, they even come with the bonus of swept fins and would IMHO match stylistically. They could be a little short, though.  :o
The short central fuselage would not work with the GAU/8A gun, though - or the ammunition drum must be much shorter. It takes up a lot of space behind the cockpit, more than in the CG rendition.  ;)

Change the gun barrels for an M61 Vulcan or even a pair of 30mm cannon.

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2021, 03:57:31 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 11, 2021, 11:41:15 PM

Change the gun barrels for an M61 Vulcan or even a pair of 30mm cannon.

Or a single 30mm Oerlikon KCA (same gun as the JA-37 Viggen) which uses the same 30x173mm ammo size as the GAU-8. The GAU-8 ammo is a different spec to the KCA, but I'm sure the latter could be modified to fire it.

- Indiana Jones

63cpe

ah, that's looking good!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

David aka 63cpe