Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Usually I don't like ship models but this pagoda one is gorgeous and crazy, I mean: marvelous! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

He should get a degree in Japanese architecture. Fantastic work!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

perttime

For some reason, the pagoda ship  makes me think of a ship that https://www.britannica.com/topic/Vasa-warship describes as "the mightiest warship of its time".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)

Nick

Quote from: Weaver on April 15, 2022, 10:19:25 AM
Beautiful battleship model by Satoshi Araki that takes the 'pagoda superstructure' idea to it's logical extreme... ;D :thumbsup: :wub:

That's all the detail I have, I'm afraid. Posted on Twitter by Mothra P.I. here: https://twitter.com/Hardywolf359/status/1514935626864410624?s=20&t=HR-5onln62OSZ2uMRkjBWw

The Imperial Palace Afloat. For visiting the outer reaches of Japan's Empire in the East Pacific and West Indian Ocean....

Old Wombat

That's brilliant! However, I wonder if it's a battleship or aircraft carrier conversion? That seems to be a flight deck supporting the upper pagoda deck. Of course, it could be a bit of both but I'm not about to go researching Japanese WW2 warships right now.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 16, 2022, 05:23:39 AM
That's brilliant! However, I wonder if it's a battleship or aircraft carrier conversion? That seems to be a flight deck supporting the upper pagoda deck. Of course, it could be a bit of both but I'm not about to go researching Japanese WW2 warships right now.

Looks like they took the Kaga and converted her into a floating palace.  So the answer to your question is "Both".
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Quote from: scooter on April 16, 2022, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on April 16, 2022, 05:23:39 AM

Looks like they took the Kaga and converted her into a floating palace.  So the answer to your question is "Both".

:thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I figured the Kaga too. The flight deck always looked as if they'd slung it on the hull in a tearing hurry.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2022, 09:33:22 AM

I figured the Kaga too. The flight deck always looked as if they'd slung it on the hull in a tearing hurry.

Nah, she had three flight decks in the early years of IJNAS operations, but as naval aircraft got larger and heavier, they went to one deck

Drach did a 5 minute guide on her IJN Kaga - Guide 255
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Quote from: Nick on April 16, 2022, 01:39:27 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 15, 2022, 10:19:25 AM
Beautiful battleship model by Satoshi Araki that takes the 'pagoda superstructure' idea to it's logical extreme... ;D :thumbsup: :wub:

That's all the detail I have, I'm afraid. Posted on Twitter by Mothra P.I. here: https://twitter.com/Hardywolf359/status/1514935626864410624?s=20&t=HR-5onln62OSZ2uMRkjBWw

The Imperial Palace Afloat. For visiting the outer reaches of Japan's Empire in the East Pacific and West Indian Ocean....

A giant version of https://www.fengshang.co.uk/, moored on the Regent's Canal as it points north(ish) to Camden!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Quote from: scooter on April 16, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2022, 09:33:22 AM

Nah, she had three flight decks in the early years of IJNAS operations, but as naval aircraft got larger and heavier, they went to one deck

Drach did a 5 minute guide on her IJN Kaga - Guide 255

So that's where they got the idea for the "aircraft carrier" on Space Battleship Yamato!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

tahsin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacemodelsphotography/albums/72157667532408032/page1

A modelmaker/photographer's work. I don't know most of them. Eagle, the sublaunched interceptor and the airliner with 2 or 3 from the recent Thunderbirds cartoon.

Dizzyfugu

jcf

The aircraft carrier is the 'Akagi' rather than the 'Kaga'. The arrangement of the fwd. flight deck supports is one the identifiers. The main castle is the Doyusha 1/350th Osaka Castle which means the carrier model is most likely the Hasegawa 1/350th 'Akagi'.