Whiffs found surfing

Started by thesolitarycyclist, November 30, 2010, 04:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Seen somewhere in the news yesterday something about an Australian company that plans to build a modern version of the Grumman Albatross for civilian use.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

loupgarou

Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 09, 2022, 10:18:21 PM
Sounds like a great idea, if you can get it past the 'NIH'-ers...

IIRC, the Shin Maywa originated from the Martin Marlin,so it would not be a total "NIH"...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

They used the same 'long thin' hull shape on the Shin Maywa that Grumman developed with the Marlin IIRC. It has those 'slots' at the chines of the hull to divert the spray clear.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Oh, brother. The author of that piece has no clue about the actual open ocean capabilities of
large seaplanes, in short they're very poor as seaplanes are best suited for littoral operations
not the open ocean. Flying over the open ocean is great, landing on it and then taking off
again is very problematic. There is nothing sensible about it or the silly C-130 floatplane.

kerick

The thing is the ocean can be pretty calm one day and evil the next. I don't know how good the weather forecasters are at predicting the surface conditions.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on June 10, 2022, 02:43:12 PM
The thing is the ocean can be pretty calm one day and evil the next.

Can change over a matter of hours let alone days. Even what looks like a fairly placid sea can in fact be quite a large swell when you actually land on it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2022, 12:34:37 AM
Even what looks like a fairly placid sea can in fact be quite a large swell when you actually land on it.
Question to my English teachers here:
Do you say "land" for the opposite of "take-off "when this is sea and not actual land/ground?
I thought seaplanes (not amphibious ones) were not landing but ditching, no?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on June 11, 2022, 12:46:09 AM
Even what looks like a fairly placid sea can in fact be quite a large swell when you actually land on it.
Do you say "land" for the opposite of "take-off "when this is sea and not actual land/ground?

Yes we do use the word land regardless of on what/where the subject is alighting Tophe. I'm afraid English is a very lazy language and we will quite often use a miss-leading word rather than come up with a more accurate and descriptive one or phrase which is what most of the Continental languages do, French in particular. Although then slang takes over I suppose ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

PR19_Kit

'Ditching' is used when the 'landing' is somewhat involuntary and in the water. Used commonly during WWII when aircraft didn't quite make it back to the UK.... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

OK, so: "ditching" is "catastrophic landing on water", it seems. All right.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Tophe

zenrat

ISTR that in one of the Convair "secret projects" books there were designs for large seaplanes that would remain stable landed on the ocean in rougher weather.  Some kind of inflatable float - like a vertical cylinder IIRC - which would be erected after touching down and before taking off.

I have both volumes of the books but can't be arsed to get up and walk to the relevant part of the stately zen manor to look this up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: Tophe on June 11, 2022, 12:46:09 AM

Alighting would be a more accurate term rather than landing in reference to seaplanes
touching down on water.