Yakovlev Yak 15 / 17 / 23 whiff's

Started by TsrJoe, December 01, 2010, 09:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Joe: great models - I like the turboprop one too. :thumbsup:

Tojo - hell fire! Anyone would think you liked the things......;)  Awesome collection!  :thumbsup:

I've got a PM one in the stash, but it's destined to donate it's nose bits to a Spanish He-100 development... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

The Yak-15 is a real world What-if. The Russians slapped a Jumo 004 in place of the engine in a Yak-3, called in SovietskiToolSlinger to slap on some putty and do some PSR and voila, a jet fighter! It should be our mascot airplane.

sequoiaranger

Weaver: >...a Spanish He-100 development... <

OK *NOW* ya got my attention! ANY He-100 derivative sparks my interest. The He-100 was SUCH a little aircraft, seems there wouldn't be room for a jet in the nose. Maybe a single-engined "He-162 upside-down" kind of thing, with a spindly (think Shinden) nosewheel?

Whatever...DO IT!  :lol:

FWIW, my "Bologna" did not use the PM injection-mold (WAAAAAY before that time), but a cheap Soviet vac-form. And lest the wording of my prior post leave a misunderstanding, I used an Me-262 wing with the German jet engines, not the Yak wing. Two more photos:

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TsrJoe on December 02, 2010, 09:33:52 AM
Yak.15 derived delta ...

Hehehe, whatever next?  ;D

A Yak 15 canard? A Yak 15 exec jet?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

i just had the four kits to hand but if i find a couple more ill have a go at Polikarpov/Nitkin like biplane and jet autogyro versions  :wacko:

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

How does anyone JUST have four PM Yak15s 'to hand'?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

hehhe, a colleague not to far away from here has a dozen built and same unbuilt in the stash, the ones iv put together here over the past few days i'll pass along to him (im sure he enjoys the beatings he gets from swmbo, hehehe!) ... and i thought my TSR.2 stockpile was excessive !  :blink:

I've kept my A Model example to complete sometime in the future as a 'proper' example  :wacko:

Tojo633

PR-19

Some silly fool got a deal on 18 of the PM kits (ebay trader did me a deal including postage price was just under £3 a piece), so has a moderate stock to build so a few went to Joe. So long as he finishes them, don't think its fair if he starts them then passes them on to me to finish off.

Weaver
The Yak 15 is actually an ok plane to fly, as simulated in the world of IL2 1946. Yes I attempt to fly planes on the PC.

All
just to clarify why or how this interest or need I say obsession began, a few random thoughts I am sure with Joe posed a question, Whatif the Mig 15 didn't enter service? The Yak family of jets would have been the obvious successor, allowing for the limitations of the aircraft. So we projected what countries or scenarios could have used the aircraft, and now we are looking into hypothetical design developments to the aircraft.

Food for thought butI have some alternative nationalitities in the pipeline.
Cheers
Sandy

rickshaw

Quote from: Tojo633 on December 04, 2010, 04:13:06 AM
All
just to clarify why or how this interest or need I say obsession began, a few random thoughts I am sure with Joe posed a question, Whatif the Mig 15 didn't enter service? The Yak family of jets would have been the obvious successor, allowing for the limitations of the aircraft. So we projected what countries or scenarios could have used the aircraft, and now we are looking into hypothetical design developments to the aircraft.

The real life alternative to the MiG15 was the La15:

It was actually considered the better dogfighter of the two aircraft and procured in limited numbers but the MiG15 was cheaper to build apparently so it was adopted in greater numbers.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TsrJoe

Tojo633

Rickshaw

Remember this is Whatif and not real life, thats not to say we did not consider the La15, but anything goes. Another reality is that the Yak 15 is more readily availble to model while the La15 isn't.
Cheers
Sandy

frank2056

The A Model Yak-15 is more detailed than the PM model, but the fit is mediocre to very poor in places. Wing roots are particularly bad, at least on my copy.

Cooperativa had a La-150 kit. It's in an odd black styrene. They clearly tried to make it as detailed as possible with their low pressure molding machines. The fit is OK; the flash is probably the worst part of the kit. It's so think in parts you almost think you're building a vacuform.

monkeyhanger

That twin engined version looks extremely ugly and threatening!

good stuff though.
If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

Weaver

Quote from: frank2056 on December 05, 2010, 12:36:40 PM
Cooperativa had a La-150 kit. It's in an odd black styrene. They clearly tried to make it as detailed as possible with their low pressure molding machines. The fit is OK; the flash is probably the worst part of the kit. It's so think in parts you almost think you're building a vacuform.

I think that's the La-15 I've got (can't read the Russian). Mine's black plastic to, but not that bad on the flash, although the surface is grainy in places.

Maquette do an La-176 in 1/72nd, the 176 being the VK-1 engined version of the Derwent-engined La-15.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones