Models "in a high state of possibility"

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 04, 2010, 09:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Some really neat stuff in this topic that just need an extra impulse...  :thumbsup:

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the whiffing is all virtual. One good aspect of this is I can start from aircraft that do not necessarily exist in plastic. The other one is it doesn't take up any space in the basement or the workshop...

This being said, I've got more than my share of leftovers... Unsatisfactory whifs, stuff that seemed like a good idea but either didn't work or I failed to do the first time round. So please bear with me!

In order of appearance (by row):

1°) stretched S-3A Viking - Antonov An-174
2°) Grumman Bobcat - Lockheed F-104/117 - Siamese Hawk
3°) Griffon III - Pogostreak - McDonnell Venom (I definitely WILL go back to this one!)
4°) McDonnell Wizard - Bell 801
5°) Messerschmitt/Bell mashup - NAA Sabrewind
6°) Midget Sabre - undesignated fighter - undesignated jet tailsitter
7°) Tacit Whale - Dassault/Republic Thunderraider
8°) Double Talon - undesignated Airspeed/Armstrong - Northrop C-128
9°) Bell Airaliner - civilian B-29

NARSES2

Oh my  :blink:

There are some stunners there. Personal picks are the Griffon III, McDonnell Venom, McDonnell Wizzard and the Bell Airaliner  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

JHM--the B-23 was "underpowered" and slow--it REALLY NEEDED those extra two engines that the B-17 had. Still, I like the LOOK of a "twin-engined B-17", and if you simply made the two engines super-powerful....!

Re: cutting up a "quality" kit. No problem for me! I do it all the time! Since my modeling world *IS* whifs, and I want the best whif I can manage, a quality (read expensive) kit is just fine. If my whif were merely a OOB kit in whif markings (something I almost NEVER do), the BEST kit available would be the one I would want. The only four reasons I sometimes stick with old, cheap kits is that (1) My stash was largely collected in the era of low-medium quality cheap kits, so I already have them. (2) the plastic is usually thicker so I can made match-up "adjustments" more easlily. (3) Since I will likely have to PSR, fine detail on "modern quality" kits is kinda wasted. and (4) I enjoy making GOOD models out of rare, crummy old kits from long ago, and get a perverse thrill out of outraging "collectors" that think building a rare kit is a "violation" (Look for a whif made from a rare and crummy early-60's Faller kit---The He-121, my next project).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

royabulgaf

Ahh, now I see it.  I thought the Bell Airaliner might be the Reindeer II
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Weaver

Nice stuff Stargazer: that twin-boom Banshee idea would work well with a Grumman Panther or Cougar too.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

There isn't enuff bandwidth on the planet for me to post all of mine. Sa I'll content m'self with looking at everybody else's. Barry, good to see the WUH hasn't been neglected  ;)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Stargazer

Quote from: Weaver on December 12, 2010, 06:52:29 PM
Nice stuff Stargazer: that twin-boom Banshee idea would work well with a Grumman Panther or Cougar too.  :thumbsup:

Weaver, go have a look what your remark has inspired! (third post in the page):
>> http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26120.1125.html

Thanks a lot for the idea!  :bow:

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on December 13, 2010, 02:07:21 AM
There isn't enuff bandwidth on the planet for me to post all of mine. Sa I'll content m'self with looking at everybody else's. Barry, good to see the WUH hasn't been neglected  ;)

Ian

Oh nutz!  I knew I missed something important.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

anthonyp

Wasn't that supposed to be the World's Ugliest Helicopter?  Yes, I think it was  ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

NARSES2

Those seat cushions are the dogs doo-dahs  :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

JHM, is that a Huskie with a minigun fitted, or two different models?

In either case it's wonderful looking work. The Huskie has always been one my fave helicopters (ugly or not....) and that looks a great build, but what scale and what kit is it? I only know of the 1/32 scale Aurora (?) one, and that's as rare as hen's teeth!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

The WUH is back..... Rejoice, rejoice....... or be scared to death !  :blink:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

sotoolslinger

Damn shame to put all those lovely details on the WUH ;D :lol: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

philp

I love the Husky.  Want to do a 72nd version in Vietnam markings where they were used by rescue crews at the airbases.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies