Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Started by JayBee, December 06, 2010, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Gentlemen, for want of a better term,
PR-19 Kit uses the term

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

So how about a group build based on his august comments?
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, I like it!  :thumbsup:

That looks like the Spitfire PRXIc to me, a little known variant only used by one flight of the PRDU during 1942, specially for the 'Hopscotch' missions flying from the UK across to Russia. The ultra-long wings were not to improve the cruise altitude, as the basic PRXI was already capable of flying high enough to avoid the Luftwaffe fighters, but the improved tankage gave it much longer range. Unfortunately the extra weight of the fuel and structure meant that the PRXIcs could only operate at Max AUW from two airfields in the UK, Manston in Kent and Carnaby in Yorks, both emergnacy bomber landing grounds with 9000 ft runways. This limited their usage to such an extent that only five PRXIcs were built, and all were re-built as standard PRXIs after a couple of years.

And if you believe that lot you'll believe ANYthing!  :rolleyes: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RotorheadTX

Well, I have a Whirlwind I've been tinkering with, so count me in!

jcf

I've already offered up the wings of a U-2R/TR-1 to a 1/72 Revell F-89 fuselage. Looks very promising.  ;D
RF-89K perhaps?

Mossie

I've fancied the idea of in-service version of the high altitude Vampire, if I could find an affordable kit....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

MiG-21? That could be interesting...
TIE Fighter?
GeeBee racer...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

PR19_Kit

Now you're all starting to think like me! See, it's catching after a while.  ;D

And they look so good too......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RotorheadTX

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 06, 2010, 03:44:31 PM
I've already offered up the wings of a U-2R/TR-1 to a 1/72 Revell F-89 fuselage. Looks very promising.  ;D
RF-89K perhaps?

Hmmm, tasty! I've got an F-89 too, just couldn't figure out what to do with it.
Looks like that dilemma has been solved.   :thumbsup:

Mossie

Maybe open this up to 'High Altitude' so mods other than wing stretches could be used such as exotic powerplants; ramjets, rockets, hydrogen, hybrid engines etc?

What about that proposal from Barnes Wallis for a sub orbital airliner, send it up to just below the point of space, wait for the earth to turn, then descend again.  Britain to Aus in about 2 hours, quicker than I can get to Manchester.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

RotorheadTX

This just keeps getting better - I think we have a winner here.

"Hohenflieger 2011"

Hobbes

Doc Yo

Would certainly push me to tackle the Hallam Welkin I've got in the stash.

Martin H

Quote from: Doc Yo on December 07, 2010, 07:32:51 AM
Would certainly push me to tackle the Hallam Welkin I've got in the stash.

Brave man!
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Daryl J.

Would that mean a clipped wing Wellsley (?spelling??) could serve as a counterpoint?   

Daryl J., still eyeing his Airfix B-57B to convert into some alternate WB-57 variant.