Vulcan Flying Boat Idea

Started by Cobra, December 06, 2010, 10:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, an Idea kinda Struck me, What If some Avro Vulcan Bombers Were Converted into Maritime Strike Flying Boats?  i Sometimes Thought The Vulcan or Something Based on it Could Be Used for the Basis of a Flying Boat, Think Seamaster UK Style!  What Say You? Thanks For Looking.Dan

Stargazer

Quote from: Cobra on December 06, 2010, 10:26:45 PM
Hey Guys, an Idea kinda Struck me, What If some Avro Vulcan Bombers Were Converted into Maritime Strike Flying Boats?  i Sometimes Thought The Vulcan or Something Based on it Could Be Used for the Basis of a Flying Boat, Think Seamaster UK Style!  What Say You? Thanks For Looking.Dan

Trying to figure it out but can't really see it myself...  :-\

Cobra

Try Mating the Hull of a Martin Seamaster to the Underside of an Avro Vulcan & See if you can Picture that in your Mind. OK, Stargazer? Didn't mean to Confuse a Master Whiffer like you. Dan

Stargazer

Quote from: Cobra on December 07, 2010, 12:57:41 AM
Try Mating the Hull of a Martin Seamaster to the Underside of an Avro Vulcan & See if you can Picture that in your Mind. OK, Stargazer? Didn't mean to Confuse a Master Whiffer like you. Dan

No probs my friend! I have tried to do just that mentally but it didn't seem to fit... However, you've given me (indirectly) another brilliant idea which I'm currently working on. ANOTHER seagoing British bomber, and this time such a natural it makes you wonder why it was never done before...  ;D

Weaver

In the newly published American Secret projects - Bombers book, there's a Martin project for the US Navy  (Model 245) which very much resembles a Vulcan, being significantly lighter but almost the same size. One of the options proposed for this was an additional flying-boat hull full of fuel that would be jettisoned en route to the target.

Pictures and drawings here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,570.0.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

From a practical point of view, the Vulcan's wing being so thick, the hull part would need to be very deep indeed in order for the wing and engines to clear the water. This didn't occur with the Seamaster as the engines were on top of the wing, and not actually inside it.

Perhaps a retractable planing hull like the Blackburn B20 though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 07, 2010, 01:57:32 AM
From a practical point of view, the Vulcan's wing being so thick, the hull part would need to be very deep indeed in order for the wing and engines to clear the water. This didn't occur with the Seamaster as the engines were on top of the wing, and not actually inside it.

Perhaps a retractable planing hull like the Blackburn B20 though?

How about a MiG-29-style diverter system, where the leading-edge intakes close while it's on the water and overwing intakes open?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Stargazer

Quote from: Weaver on December 07, 2010, 01:47:40 AM
In the newly published American Secret projects - Bombers book, there's a Martin project for the US Navy  (Model 245) which very much resembles a Vulcan, being significantly lighter but almost the same size. One of the options proposed for this was an additional flying-boat hull full of fuel that would be jettisoned en route to the target.

Pictures and drawings here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,570.0.html

Exact link to the Martin 245 is this: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,570.msg37784.html#msg37784

McColm

The Vulcan's did carry out the maritime reconnaissance role and in a certain Bond film make a water landing. so the runway lights were back-to-front. I'm not sure if the Vulcan's were ever armed with anti-ship missiles or how long a Vulcan could remain afloat if a ditching occurred.
The victor would be more suited as a flying boat.

Stargazer

Quote from: McColm on December 07, 2010, 02:46:43 AM
The Vulcan's did carry out the maritime reconnaissance role and in a certain Bond film make a water landing. so the runway lights were back-to-front. I'm not sure if the Vulcan's were ever armed with anti-ship missiles or how long a Vulcan could remain afloat if a ditching occurred.
The victor would be more suited as a flying boat.

Spot on! You've come to the same conclusion as I have... and so here's a little treat for you guys, the Handley-Page Sea Victor Mk. 1... Hope you like it! A color version will be featured in my own gallery within minutes... (talk about advertising tricks! LOL).

sandiego89

Perfect timing, I just picked up an old mathcbox 1/72 Victor for this exact purpose!  Had been mulling this for years after someone proposed it here.    Thinking of blanking off the intakes and going with the intakes above the wing.  Better check my putty supply....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Stargazer

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 07, 2010, 03:59:21 AM
Perfect timing, I just picked up an old mathcbox 1/72 Victor for this exact purpose!  Had been mulling this for years after someone proposed it here.    Thinking of blanking off the intakes and going with the intakes above the wing.  Better check my putty supply....

Cool! Will you use a Seamaster model for the hull and floats?

McColm

You could copy the Mig-29 and have a set of air intakes pointing verticaly for take off and swivel forward when in flight. The Mig-29 avoids FOD for take-off.
Great pic of the Sea Victor.

Howard of Effingham

not wishing as a HP nut to spoil the party but the ditching characteristics of the victor were reckoned to be awful, though having said that
no victor was [that i know of] involved in an accident where ditching would have been necessary.

a flying boat victor is an interesting idea, but where will you house the weapons for ASW/ASuW?

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Stargazer

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 07, 2010, 06:12:15 AM
not wishing as a HP nut to spoil the party but the ditching characteristics of the victor were reckoned to be awful, though having said that
no victor was [that i know of] involved in an accident where ditching would have been necessary.
a flying boat victor is an interesting idea, but where will you house the weapons for ASW/ASuW?

I feel like I'm somewhat hijacking Cobra's thread here, quite unwillingly. Perhaps you could ask the question on my own thread? The Sea Victor is also there. Thanks for Cobra!

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26120.msg469725/