Fairey Gannet (finished finally)

Started by TallEng, December 11, 2010, 01:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 13, 2010, 02:10:02 AM
Cheers Rickshaw - I was just about to go looking for that info!  :thumbsup:

I did, before I made the suggestion.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

While you lot have been re-engining Trackers and Skyraiders and probably upsetting the piston power fans,
I've been thinking.....  ;D
What other uses might their Warships have had for Gannets?
My thoughts so far include the Gannet K.9 (tanker) and a SAM defence suppression version
With the tanker it could use wing hard points for extra drop tanks, a bulged bomb bay for even more fuel the ASMD 4 Double Mamba for more power and the Refueling point would fit about where the ASW radar gubbins was. (or maybe two wing Hose and drogue units, but I am not sure about if there would be enough separation for two Aircraft to refuel at the same time?)
operational use would be to launch a pair after the plane guard helicopter was airborne, so as to provide a top up facility for the strike package which would then launch. Question is would it be fast enough for the Sea Vixens. Buccaneers and phantoms so they could refuel safely without danger of falling out of the sky 'cos they had to fly so slow behind the Gannet for a drink? :drink:
later as the strike package returned, launch another pair in case the returning aircraft were running short of fuel?

The SAM suppression version would have loads of electrical gubbins and stuff with the appropriate lumps bumps aerails etc for the confusion and confounding of the enemy
Thoughts?
TallEng; waiting :rolleyes: for the nightstoppers to roll up.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

chrisonord

A gannet crossed with a Skyraider, well how about this one http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26932.0.html
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

Possible alternative uses for the Gannet:

Fleet Defence System - based on the USN's "Missileer" - hang some Sea Slug missiles under the wings (sans boosters).  Use in combination with an AEW Gannet as detector and designator.

EW System - fill the fuselage and bomb bay with EW goodies.

ELINT System - as with the EW system, fill the fuselage and bomb bay with electronic goodies.

COD - use the wings and engines and give it a new wider fuselage with big freight doors for COD duties (rather than just using pods).

Nuclear Attack - add a small (Viper?) jet engine in the rear fuselage for that "over the target" boost a'la AJ3 Savage.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

A Little update, to show its not been all work no play this Christmas,

Fairey Gannet G.A.7 with the start of the weapons load;
RP's with 100Gal Drop tanks for that little extra loiter time over the target ;D
As you can see patience is not always with me :rolleyes:
and as I had to put the underwing serials on, so that I could put the RP's and drop tanks on,
I kind of got carried away and added some other markings to..... just to see if it looked "right" :blink:

If you look very carefully you will see (as well as my dodgy paintwork) the 2 Aden cannons and their close proximity
to the open bomb bay doors!

otherside picture to show 3 of the 5 1000lb bombs already fitted, 'cos I don't think
you'll see very much with both bomb doors on!

Have made mental note to self to improve  pictures!!
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

famvburg

According to he drawings seen in this post here, (scroll down), the Skyraider wouldn't have all that long of a nose with a turboprop. Prior to the A2D, Douglas looked at replacing the R-3350 on the AD. These drawings show 2 turboprops & one jet. Also, the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III nose was all that much longer than a standard Merlin powered Mustang.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8212.15.html

Quote from: Weaver on December 13, 2010, 01:25:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 13, 2010, 01:08:09 AM
Now there's a thought.....

A Skyraider re-engined with a Double-Mamba would look pretty mean, and it would have a serious power upgrade too.

Of course in essence, that's what a Skyshark was,and it needed a deeper fuselage to accomodate that kind of engine installation (jet pipes under the cockpit floor). A re-fitted Skyraider would have to have the engines in front of the cockpit rather than beneath it, which could give an excessively long nose in the style of the Cavalier Mustang, however the Double-Mamba should help a bit with that, being (presumably) shorter and wider than a single engine of equivalent power. Still need to do something about the centre of gravity though, since I'll bet the Double-Mamba is still MUCH lighter than the radial.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: TallEng on December 27, 2010, 02:06:25 PM<...> .... just to see if it looked "right" :blink:
<...>

It does! :thumbsup: Very much so, in fact!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Skyraider with a double mamba has been done already  ;) ;D
Chris.

rickshaw

Quote from: chrisonord on December 27, 2010, 04:02:31 PM
Chris.

Please, do show...

chrisonord

rickshaw

Quote from: chrisonord on December 27, 2010, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 27, 2010, 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on December 27, 2010, 04:02:31 PM
Chris.

Please, do show...
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26932.0.html
See..........

Thanks.  Bit more extensive than I was thinking of, which was just an engine upgrade.  Interesting.

TallEng

Like it says, I've decided its finished; can't say that I'm 100% pleased with it, but that's life....
Pictures;

Regards
Keith

Hman

Nice.  I must build Gannet :wub:

I wonder was the real thing ever used in a Strike role?
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

James

Great Gannet. She certainly can pack a punch.  :thumbsup:

upnorth

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/