Free Radicals - Rafa's Air Combat

Started by Rafael, December 12, 2010, 09:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Rafa, I've been fighting Nasty Old Mr. Depression for most of the last 30 years, I am with you.  I've recently taken to Model Therapy again, as well, and I actually completed my first model in @ 6 years. 

Hang in there! 

bobbo

frank2056

Rafa, it' really good to see you back! Can't wait to see your new creations take shape.

matrixone

Glad you are posting again Rafa! :thumbsup:

Your style of building models is true ''what-if'' modeling at its finest.

I know what you mean about about fighting the big ''D'' as I also am at war with it right now.

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

YEAAHHH Rafa is back :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Glad you are feeling better my brother :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see how this turns out. It looks very coool :mellow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

John Howling Mouse

Cardboard, YUM!  The Zorro of Cardboard is back!  Good to see you here again, my friend.  And your latest is looking promising as ever.

Usted es uno de los primeros y el más importante.

:bow:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Rafael

Thanks a bunch, guys!!!
Progress has been slow on this one because of a last minute rush at the office, but rest assured this one and the following models for this thread will see an end fitting whiff-world.

Thanks again for your support. It's been a rocky road back to the workbench and the keyboard

More images soon.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Rafael

Felíz año nuevo!!! - Happy new year, amigos!!!!
Well, it wasn't as soon as I wanted, but here she is, puttied, sanded and repeated I lost count of how many times.
Once smoothed and blended, I proceeded to dig my trenches -er, scribe my paneling. Now to sand and fill the most visible imperfections, and retrace the panels in need of repair.
OK, I stated before that I was going to deviate from the standard Ace Combat stuff. I installed two weapons bays in the midships and the forward fuselage sections. I intend to make USAF, US Navy and USMC, along with a NASA bird.

Saludos,
Rafa

1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Maverick

Hola Rafa,

Your skills continue to amaze me.  The ship looks like she's coming along nicely.

Regards,

Mav

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

What a beautiful shape! Very organic-looking. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

John Howling Mouse

Makes me think of a B-1 bomber for Babylon 5: love it.  It sure is pleasing to add to my "Rafa's models" file folder again, amigo.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

lancer

Great to see you back in the saddle Rafa. Love the look of your latest creation
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sotoolslinger

That is freaking awesome bubba. Great work :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.

Rafael

Thanks, Gents. It's good to be back.

I took my master and defined parting lines with a simple clay dam with keys included

Then, I prepared my silicone paste and covered the top side first, clay dam included

Retired the clay dam, and cleaned any clay leftovers with a damp paper towel, and applied some vaseline on the upper mold flaring to prevent mold lockup, and applied silicone all over

Once dry, I made fiberglass hardbacks or mothermolds to provide my molds with rigidity necessary for casting. Poured resin and fiberglass on both mold halves, careful to make the casts hollow and light. Here are the first two casting tests. Not clear in the pic are some bubbles and protrusions product of a bad resin mixing technique and a couple silicone mold errors which I will repair today.

Saludos,
Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.