Hawker Sea Hunter development - the Hawker Herne, 1962

Started by rickshaw, December 13, 2010, 05:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Latest update.  As usual, things move slowly.

New tail:

Perhaps this would earn the nickname "Mako"?  Perhaps it needs a shark's mouth?

Wings and tail surfaces added.  Wings cut, ready for folding:

A question has been raised in my mind.  How does the canopy open on this?  Slide backwards?  Open sideways?  Clamshell?   Any suggestions?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cobra

You may want to use an F-4 Phantom Canopy or a Tomcat Canopy for your Plane. Hope This Helps. Dan

rickshaw

Quote from: Cobra on December 19, 2010, 01:46:42 AM
You may want to use an F-4 Phantom Canopy or a Tomcat Canopy for your Plane. Hope This Helps. Dan

Cobra, thanks, it already comes with a canopy.

apophenia

Looking good rickshaw!

Quote from: rickshaw on December 18, 2010, 08:18:18 PM
A question has been raised in my mind.  How does the canopy open on this?  Slide backwards?  Open sideways?  Clamshell?   Any suggestions?

It'd look most modern with a clamshell but, WIW, I lean towards to sideways hinged.

Yes sir! 801 NAS, personal markings of "Sharkey" Ward?  ;D

rickshaw

Quote from: apophenia on December 19, 2010, 04:18:05 PM
Looking good rickshaw!

It'd look most modern with a clamshell but, WIW, I lean towards to sideways hinged.

I do as well.  Its too long for a sliding canopy (although Buccaneers had a long sliding canopy) and clamshells weren't really done by the British as far as I can tell (I'm sure someone will pop up with examples ;) ).

Yes sir! 801 NAS, personal markings of "Sharkey" Ward?  ;D

RL 801 in this time frame were equipped with Buccaneers.  Its a possibility though, I suspect Ward Snr. is too young to have been serving in the early 1960s, except perhaps as a snotty.

Weaver

Glad you've done this Rickshaw: I was planning to put the tandem seat onto a Revell Hunter, but I've just changed my mind!  ;D  I know I've got a Matchbox fuselage in the bits box, but I don't know whether I've got all the other bits to go with it....

Anyway, good project: it looks very nice in profile. :thumbsup:

Sharkey Ward joined up in 1962 and trained on Hunters and Sea Vixens, but his first operational posting was in 1969 with 892 Sqn, flying Phantoms on Ark Royal.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

apophenia

Quote from: rickshaw on December 19, 2010, 07:22:58 PM
RL 801 in this time frame were equipped with Buccaneers.  Its a possibility though, I suspect Ward Snr. is too young to have been serving in the early 1960s, except perhaps as a snotty.

Ah, didn't know about the Buccs. Nigel Ward joined the FAA in 1962 so, yeah, fighter training would have had to be quite brisk  :lol:

rickshaw

Nearly finished, just needs canopy, underwing stores and markings:

Nose profile:

Tail profile:

Cockpit:

Overhead shot, showing how the noses were blended together and into the fuselage:

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Excellent stuff ricksaw!  :thumbsup:

The in-line two seater looks SO much more believable than the RW side by side version!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

Geoff

rickshaw

It does look more believable.  What surprises me with the P.1109 nose added is how reminiscent it is of the Hunter T.8M at certain angles.  The radome is very similar in shape to the SHAR's.  One extra thing I did was sand down the dashboard in the front cockpit - it was way too high.  If it was a real trainer, I'd also have done the one dividing the two cockpits.  There is no way for a instructing pilot to look over it and still have the canopy close on top of him.  As its intended to be a two seat fighter, I left it higher as the rear cockpit bod doesn't need to be able to see straight forward.   Like many models, this one makes the cockpit too shallow so a scaled seat like the aftermarket ones (I'm using some Aeroclub ones) won't fit and so I've had to cut the bottom off the rear one but I've left the front one, so it is higher than the rear one as well (it fits under the canopy though and my reasoning is that the pilot in the front needs better vision that the bloke in the back).

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on December 22, 2010, 04:03:56 PM
Like many models, this one makes the cockpit too shallow so a scaled seat like the aftermarket ones (I'm using some Aeroclub ones) won't fit and so I've had to cut the bottom off the rear one but I've left the front one, so it is higher than the rear one as well (it fits under the canopy though and my reasoning is that the pilot in the front needs better vision that the bloke in the back).

Bizarrely the original Maintrack moulding of this came with two Aeroclub seats, which wouldn't fit for the same reason riskchaw mentions above! Doesn't anyone ever test build their own products?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I am an Engineer by trade so I at least would though hardly anyone else at my work would think of testing their software.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....