Hawker Sea Hunter development - the Hawker Herne, 1962

Started by rickshaw, December 13, 2010, 05:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 23, 2010, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 22, 2010, 04:03:56 PM
Like many models, this one makes the cockpit too shallow so a scaled seat like the aftermarket ones (I'm using some Aeroclub ones) won't fit and so I've had to cut the bottom off the rear one but I've left the front one, so it is higher than the rear one as well (it fits under the canopy though and my reasoning is that the pilot in the front needs better vision that the bloke in the back).

Bizarrely the original Maintrack moulding of this came with two Aeroclub seats, which wouldn't fit for the same reason riskchaw mentions above! Doesn't anyone ever test build their own products?

Many companies have gotten very rich but adopting exactly that premise.  "Why test it?  That's what (L)users are for!"  ;)

Come the Revolution though, Comrade...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on December 23, 2010, 04:36:36 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 23, 2010, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 22, 2010, 04:03:56 PM
Like many models, this one makes the cockpit too shallow so a scaled seat like the aftermarket ones (I'm using some Aeroclub ones) won't fit and so I've had to cut the bottom off the rear one but I've left the front one, so it is higher than the rear one as well (it fits under the canopy though and my reasoning is that the pilot in the front needs better vision that the bloke in the back).

Bizarrely the original Maintrack moulding of this came with two Aeroclub seats, which wouldn't fit for the same reason riskchaw mentions above! Doesn't anyone ever test build their own products?

Many companies have gotten very rich but adopting exactly that premise.  "Why test it?  That's what (L)users are for!"  ;)

Come the Revolution though, Comrade...

Agreed - any computer reports I wrote or were written by my people were thoroughly checked to the base data. I insisted that there was a little pencil dot by every figure and that the test reports were signed off by the person checking them. Evil sod that I was  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Luckily enough large companies do test their own stuff, and supplying and fixing their test equipment kept me in work for 30 years! But I learned that they only tested what they were forced to, either by legislation or by the fear that their customer base would go elsewhere!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 24, 2010, 02:21:33 AM

Luckily enough large companies do test their own stuff, and supplying and fixing their test equipment kept me in work for 30 years! But I learned that they only tested what they were forced to, either by legislation or by the fear that their customer base would go elsewhere!

Large software companies will get away with as much as they can.  Micro$oft has been caught out  forcing users to test the beta versions of their software after being sold it as a "final version".  Windoze is a case in point.  It should be seen more as a "work in progress" than something that is actually useable.  Of course, software companies find it hard to kill people with their products but they're working on it so eventually such antics will be held accountable.  In this sort of situation, their customer base can't go elsewhere because they are too wedded to the product.  Alternatives exist but users are too frightened to change and companies have too much already invested in the installed base so the software companies keep getting away with it.

Gondor

To increase the fin area I would have increased the chord a bit as well and increase the hight which may get in the way of the hanger roof.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Quote from: Gondor on December 24, 2010, 05:11:25 AM
To increase the fin area I would have increased the chord a bit as well and increase the hight which may get in the way of the hanger roof.

Gondor

I thought of that.  Folding fin solves all problems.  Basically I wanted to keep the fin base the same so it was lopped off just above the horizontal stabilisers and a new, taller one substituted.

The Rat

Gorgeous job! Have you got any detail shots of the wing fold mechanism? I need to do one on a project and I'm living in fear of it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on December 24, 2010, 02:47:48 AM
Large software companies will get away with as much as they can.  Micro$oft has been caught out  forcing users to test the beta versions of their software after being sold it as a "final version".  Windoze is a case in point.  It should be seen more as a "work in progress" than something that is actually useable.  Of course, software companies find it hard to kill people with their products but they're working on it so eventually such antics will be held accountable.  In this sort of situation, their customer base can't go elsewhere because they are too wedded to the product.  Alternatives exist but users are too frightened to change and companies have too much already invested in the installed base so the software companies keep getting away with it.

Actually I meant companies who made things you can get hold of, like cars and trucks and aeroplanes. I'm not sure I count software as a 'product' per se, even though M$ would assure me that it is.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Apparently in the US software code can be copyrighted for goodness sake !!!

The question that everyone wants to know is though...... is the Herne going to be 899 Sqn ?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

Quote from: The Rat on December 24, 2010, 07:04:34 AM
Gorgeous job! Have you got any detail shots of the wing fold mechanism? I need to do one on a project and I'm living in fear of it.

Ah, no but I'll take some for you.  Its nothing special.  My first Sea Hunter had a complex system of interlocking plasticard looking like this:

|_____Inner-wing_____|
       |||          |||
_____|________|_____
|                               |

However, while researching the Sea Dingo I found that most wingfold mechanisms were just a single, large lump of steel at midspan with perhaps some smaller pieces fore and aft at quarter span so I decided to make something simpler which consists of a piece of bent paperclip wire, at midspan.  Looked good on the Sea Dingo so I've used it again here.  'cause the wing is so thin, all I've done is fill it in with putty, smooth it off and paint it silver for bare metal and left it at that.  It looks OK at a distance, which is what I was after.  Also, making it from wire, the wings can be made removable which is handy during painting.

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on December 24, 2010, 04:28:47 PM...I decided to make something simpler which consists of a piece of bent paperclip wire, at midspan. 

Exactly what I was thinking of doing. The wing on mine is a solid one-piece so it needs something strong like that.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 24, 2010, 07:51:00 AM
Actually I meant companies who made things you can get hold of, like cars and trucks and aeroplanes. I'm not sure I count software as a 'product' per se, even though M$ would assure me that it is.........  ;)

Actually, I tend to agree with you.  I'm usually asked at work "and what do you want to do in five years" and my reply, which usually surprises people is "become a monumental stone-mason".  "Why?"  "'cause it means I can make something that is substantial and useful..."   Not surprisingly, it nonplusses most of the youngsters 'cause they think IT is the be-all and end-all of existence whereas I don't.   I enjoy it but its not like a real job.  It just pays better than most real jobs and requires little real effort.  What I miss is real factories though.

rickshaw

Nearly finished.   Just needs a coat of Future/Klear and then markings applied.

Decided to go with the side-opening canopy.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.