Airdrawndagger - 1941 style

Started by The Wooksta!, December 14, 2010, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Some years ago, I was given a load of side views of Hurricanes, most of them being almost standard, several getting new engines.  One of the ones I did want to do was powered by the Napier Dagger.

Conceived as a panic fighter in the dark days of 1940, with Hitler's evil hordes about to kick in the front door, the Dagger engined Hurricane was a backstop in case of a shortage of Merlins.  I had a mould for a dagger and a spare Airfix Hurricane I going spare, what else could I do?  I hacked the nose off and tried to marry the two.  Oh dear, looks too big, back in the box.

Where it would have rotted had I not been looking for my cast Dagger engines for another project.  Another look.  Hmmn, might work.  It gets resurrected.

Now, it's not quite the Dagger project I've seen the drawing of.  For one thing, it's an MB2 cowling, whereas the one for the Hurricane was more rounded and elegant.  This just looks plain clunky.  Lots of filler and sanding later, it fits and it doesn't look that bad. Other tiny mods were removing the radiator housing - the Dagger was air cooled -  and filling the resultant gap

The engine changes the whole look of the aircraft radically.  It looks far more clunky, more primitive and brutish.  had the project gone ahead, I doubt it would have been anything other than a failure.  The Dagger engined Hampden, the Hereford, was quickly relegated to training duties.  The high pitched whine produced by the engine was deleterious to the crews and it had cooling difficulties.

Markings?  Eventually, standard 1940/41 camo and markings for a training unit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

Firm decision - RAF training.  I think the Daggers may have had maintenance issue too, last thing you'd want with a one shot CAMship fighter and a load of Condors bearing down on you.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

chrisonord

Now that is going to look one heck of a strange beast Lee, looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Whatever you do with it, don't go flying it into that ugly tree again now will you  :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I've seen a side view in a Hurricane book Lee, be good to see it in plastic
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Intriguing.

Will be watching this one closely. Just a thought, Lee, could be a candidate for the yellow nose treatment, like those 'aggressor' MkI Spits that were based at Hawarden in late 40/41.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

The Wooksta!

No, I know what it's going as and I'll be doing some dis-similar combat aircraft anyway.

Mind, I'll pass a nose along if you fancy giving it a spin?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

pyro-manic

Interesting-looking thing, and certainly brutal. Two-blade prop?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Wooksta!

3 - the Herefords had 3 bladers.  I might have a spare two blade prop though.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

TsrJoe

a neat looking build, just wondering, how does it look on a Mosquito? iv seen mention of it somewhere and was thinking itd make for a nice variation to the prototype?

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

The Wooksta!

That's in hand - I just haven't posted the photos yet!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

An interesting idea. I like the double-row exhausts---makes it look almost like a Tornado. Good idea to make them trainers, freeing up Merlin engines for the Empire defenders.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

GTX

Looking forward to the final result.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 14, 2010, 03:19:31 PM
Firm decision - RAF training.  I think the Daggers may have had maintenance issue too, last thing you'd want with a one shot CAMship fighter and a load of Condors bearing down on you.
A similar finish to your Blenheim, then?  would be a nice touch.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

There's something about that Dagger engine's shape.......

I've got a Hereford conversion set somwhere, but I think it'll be used on other types now. Thanks for the inspiration Lee.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit