Dual-use Missiles

Started by Fulcrum, December 15, 2010, 11:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riksbar

In the mid 1990s British Aerospace offered a version ASRAAM for the competition eventually won by Brimstone. The missile used the ASRAAM airframe, and seeker with the anti-armour shaped charge warhead from Long-range Trigat coupled with a shorter solid rocket motor.  The imaging IR seeker gave anti-tank capability but the software for air-to-air was retained making it a true dual use missile.    It was reckoned that even with the smaller motor it had the same range as AIM-9L in air-to-air mode.  The missile was named Typhoon on homage to the WWII tankbuster.
"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

dy031101

Is there a missile launcher compact enough to be mounted ad hoc on top of a requisitioned civilian vehicle without adding too much height to it?

I probably won't be asking for a strictly dual-purpose missile on this one...... just a launcher that could accommodate both MANPADS and ATGM rounds as needed.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Hobbes

I don't think so; even small SAMS like Barak and Sea Wolf are nearly 2 m long. Hellfire is a bit shorter at 1.6 m. Diameter is ca 20 cm. It's conceivable you can create a low-profile turret that isn't higher than the diameter of one missile. But you still have a lot of weight on top of a vehicle; you'd need a truck to mount this on. You'd also need space for the director.

For a good example of a compact launcher, look at Rapier.

You may be better off with a VLS solution that can be mounted on the back end of a vehicle.

Cobra

What About something like a Twin Missile? like 2 Missiles mated together that Seperate to hot 2 Targets @ once? Would that work for a Dual-use Missile? just something i've Thought about. Dan

Hobbes

Nah, you'd almost always waste one missile with that approach. It's not often that two targets present themselves at the same time.

dy031101

I was thinking of settling with the likes of Starstreaks, Stinger or Mistral for SAMs.

But then if I dropped the SAM requirement...... maybe just Mini-Samson with Spike ER would do  ;D

====================

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: dy031101 on January 05, 2011, 11:54:00 AM
Is there a missile launcher compact enough to be mounted ad hoc on top of a requisitioned civilian vehicle without adding too much height to it? <...>

Maybe something like the quad HOT launcher of the VAB Mephisto?

Even when deployed, it's not that high.

Becomes almost invisible when stowed.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mossie

I remember an interview with an Apache pilot talking about anti fast-jet tactics.  They'd turn into the jet & lob a Hellfire in their general direction, then head for ground as quickly as possible.  The general idea behind turning in was to reduce the jets reaction time & get "within their reach".  The Hellfire would give them a bit of a brown trouser moment & make them break off for long enough to allow the Apache to evade.  There was a chance of a hit, if not a huge one, so I guess the Hellfire has a (very) secondary role as an AAM!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on January 05, 2011, 07:32:14 PM
Maybe something like the quad HOT launcher of the VAB Mephisto?

Interesting  :thumbsup: ...... how much of an internal space does the gunner's controls (excluding the ammo magazine) occupy?

===================================================

I remember a test launch of Hellfire missiles from Chaparral launcher.  Some took it as an indication of testing the Hellfire as a SAM.

I was unable to locate a picture of the test but did find this:

====================

To-do list here

Fulcrum

Quote from: Mossie on January 06, 2011, 04:19:04 AM
I remember an interview with an Apache pilot talking about anti fast-jet tactics.  They'd turn into the jet & lob a Hellfire in their general direction, then head for ground as quickly as possible.  The general idea behind turning in was to reduce the jets reaction time & get "within their reach".  The Hellfire would give them a bit of a brown trouser moment & make them break off for long enough to allow the Apache to evade.  There was a chance of a hit, if not a huge one, so I guess the Hellfire has a (very) secondary role as an AAM!
I think there was an incident when the Israeli AH-64's had to intercept a Lebanese civilian plane that was flying over the border. Unfortunatly for the Lebanese pilot, the Israelis decided to shoot him down with a Hellfire missile from one of the intercepting Apaches.
Helicopter Gunships could be used to intercept slow, low-flying cessnas(in fact, the Russians started to test R-60's on their Hinds after that incident where a cessna landed on Red square in Moscow after flying in undetected from Finland.).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

GTX

Some more on the dual role air dominance missile (DRADM) - see here.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Fulcrum

Interesting concept, thanks for posting!!! :cheers:
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: GTX on February 19, 2011, 01:47:44 PM
Some more on the dual role air dominance missile (DRADM) - see here.

Awww, shucks! They nicked that layout straight from my head. That's how I wanted to make AIM-120E Evolved-AMRAAMs!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?