BAC Lightning PR7

Started by deathjester, December 16, 2010, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

I think a VG mechanism would be unwise for this particular machine - extra weight that you don't really want to drag all the way to altitude if you can help it. For a carrier-based version, possibly (as proposed IRL).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

G.Marcat

The idea of to add at the Lightning a Single Track ventral undercarriage as in the Harrier is PURE GENIUS.

McColm

McColm

deathjester

That's beautiful!  Any idea who did it?

pyro-manic

I know Martin H did one, but I'm not sure if that's it. I'm really not a fan of either the VG or the two-seater look on the Lightning, to be honest.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Quote from: McColm on February 03, 2011, 02:20:32 AM
so how come when I propose something you lot jump up and down?

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

James

Quote from: deathjester on January 31, 2011, 04:53:50 PM
Created in the late 1960's, from the P.15 photo-recon Lightning proposal, the PR7 was actually an enormous  step beyond that design, incorporating as it did both radar and optical recon systems, full ECM systems, as well as RAM coating first trialled on an A&AEE Canberra.  A high altitude modified, reheated Spey turbofan, backed up by a 24,500 lb thrust Armstrong Siddely Stentor rocket engine, gave the PR7 truly incredible speed and altitude capabilities.

They generally operated in the company of a specially modified Victor SR2(K) Tanker, which supplemented the PR7's vastly increased internal/external fuel capacity, and also acted as a mobile comms relay station, allowing faraway targets to be observed in near real time.  
  The PR7's operated throughout their career from RAF Binbrook, under the cover of the 'Lightning Augmentation Flight', an outfit which laid claim to a large amount of resources, but never seemed to do many missions....

Throughout the next few decades, the sound of Spey's could be heard around Binbrook, until the bases closure in 1988, and it seemed the story of the PR7 ended there.
  Or did it?  Ancedotal evidence from the 1990 Gulf War makes reference to both UK Tornado crews, and US F-117 pilots arriving over their targets, and finding their targets already illuminated for them, although no ground forces, or other allied aircraft were near.  Some reports even mentioned, that through gaps between the clouds, crews could faintly make out an arrow shaped aircraft, briefly flitting across the moonlight.

Was it, as some say, the TR-3A - an alleged top secret counterpart to the F-117, or was it the Last of the Lightnings, enjoying its swansong with a Middle Eastern holiday?

Genius.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

Rheged

"Vegas  ATC, Binbrook Sparrow, height and speed check please"

All went  very quiet for a loooooong while.........

" Binbrook Sparrow ,  flight level 1200 and 1600knots...........Binbrook Sparrow  What are you?.......Who are you?...............sir...........please"

This was meant as a WHAT IF, but I have recently been in conversation with  a  retired Buccaneer  navigator, who swears blind that his  driver once asked for permission to CLIMB to flight level two  (200 feet) and 500 knots when he flew out of the Red Flag exercise area.   One of his mates on detachment to Cyprus held the squadron low flying record with an altimeter reading of minus 1300 feet..............and never you mind why he was leaving a wash behind him over the Dead Sea.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

Interesting.  How did he get permission from the Israelis to do that?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on February 17, 2011, 05:45:56 AM
Interesting.  How did he get permission from the Israelis to do that?

I think that  he mentioned that Jordan was involved......the country not the buxom young lady, but as I was told   ".....never you mind why......"   unless it was to do with  a certain brick outhouse or two being flown through the streets of Beirut.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

I thought Buccs were allowed to fly at 50ft or was that only over water?
:tornado:

eatthis

absolute genius  :bow:

could i get a better pic of the arse end mate?
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

deathjester

deathjester

Quote from: eatthis on February 18, 2013, 02:42:35 PM
absolute genius  :bow:

could i get a better pic of the arse end mate?

Oh yes... thanks!!