BAC Lightning PR7

Started by deathjester, December 16, 2010, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

That's a good idea about the conformal tanks ;D I never thought of that!

Thank you.

My original premise was to give the aircraft  the option of tanks/wingtip/underwing launchers or, without tanks & wingtip launchers .Missiles would then be carried on over/under wing launchers.
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: deathjester on February 01, 2011, 06:36:50 AM
In any case, it's pretty much all down to PR19Kit and a conversation we had via IM.  So, poor old Grishenko is all you fault, mate...!!

Sigh........

It's ALWAYS my fault!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Well, I can't help it if you inspire me!

pyro-manic

Ohhh, that's good! :thumbsup: :wub: That colour scheme is particularly fetching - I must try Hemp over Night on something soon... One question - if it's a Binbrook machine, why is is wearing SEAC roundels? Has it been sniffing around over Hanoi?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2011, 09:35:16 AM
Quote from: deathjester on February 01, 2011, 06:36:50 AM
In any case, it's pretty much all down to PR19Kit and a conversation we had via IM.  So, poor old Grishenko is all you fault, mate...!!

Sigh........

Thats what it says :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :drink:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

deathjester

Quote from: pyro-manic on February 01, 2011, 11:46:35 AM
Ohhh, that's good! :thumbsup: :wub: That colour scheme is particularly fetching - I must try Hemp over Night on something soon... One question - if it's a Binbrook machine, why is is wearing SEAC roundels? Has it been sniffing around over Hanoi?

Shh, it's a secret!!  Besides, how can it have been there if it didn't exist......!?  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Great scheme! great markings  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 01, 2011, 09:35:16 AM

Sigh........

You are what is know as a responsible person.......... if something goes wrong....... your responsible....

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

sideshowbob9

That colour scheme is fantastic:thumbsup:

McColm

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but in the real world the over wing tanks weren't practical as they created drag and tended to heat up over speeds of mach 1.
Remember that the Lightning was the fastest aircraft in service with the RAF until the Tornado and had 30minutes endurance on internal fuel. Climb rate after 40,000ft left the Canberra struggling to match it.
Although the cockpit was roomy as you could adjust the seat, banging out for anyone over 5ft 8inches, was tricky as you had to move the seat back before pulling the handle, as your knees would catch on the instrument panel on the way out.
The Blackbird crews were surprised as the Lightning could intercept them at 90, 000ft...
:party:

PR19_Kit

But this ISN'T the real world............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

so how come when I propose something you lot jump up and down?

deathjester

It's ok - I don't mind anybody questioning my ideas, after all, I could have got it wrong.....!
I did realise the short comings of the overwing tanks, that's why they are gray - they are standard F.6 tanks, and are designed to be used on the flight to the target area, then blown off if necesssary. 
The wings are now fully given over to fuel, and I have also extended the belly tank - there is also room for another fuel tank where the lower Avon and it's ducting went, as the Stentor is a much shorter engine.

And while we're on about speed, the PR7, with Spey + Stentor should have even more acceleration than a standard Lightning - a Stentor could take a Blue Steel missile up to Mach 2.5 after all.....

McColm

Did you ever think of a swing-wing version?