Main Menu

Fw 190 A-10 & F-8/R14

Started by Gondor, December 19, 2010, 05:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Actually managed to restart these aircraft. Painting of detail in the cockpit has been taking place and will be unveiled to the expectant audience in a day or so's time.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Progress Pictures !!!

This is a picture of the Fw190 F-8/R14 cockpit tub

And this is the Instrument panel for it. A little splash of colour has been added as you can see, unfortunately at this magnification you can see it's mainly in the wrong place  :banghead: :banghead: but as it's 1/72 it probably will not be noticed  :-\

This is a picture of the Fw190 A-10 cockpit tub with its instrument panel installed.

One thing I have found out is that there is a small protuberance from the left side of the fuselage. DO NOT CUT THIS LUMP OFF !!! It represents the throttle control !

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

matrixone

Looks good!

The throttle control should be easy to replace.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

Looks like you're off to a great start, Gondor. I'll be watching with much interest!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Gondor

Thanks for the nice words fellers I will endeavour to do your praise justice.

Gondor

Gondor

Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread or for posting updates, the later because not much has progressed over the last week

Quote from: matrixone on May 04, 2011, 10:37:02 AM
Looks good!

The throttle control should be easy to replace.

Matrixone

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying Matrixone, I was giving a warning as I realised before I got as far as removing the item what it was.

Update: Not much, the cockpits have been stuck into the fuselage half's though they both need the control columns and seats added. I tried to add the new tail to one of the aircraft and ended up with Superglue in places I didn't want it and fingerprints over the fuselage sides. Plan B will be put into action tomorrow and if necessary closely followed by plan C.

Plan B consists of adding plastic card to the inside of the fuselage so that the tab on the new tail has something to stick to rather than fresh air as in plan A's attempt to join the fuselage and tails together.

Talking about this joint. It WILL be bad, the tail is designed for the Tamiya D-9 not the Revell A/F-8 kit.

Pictures over the weekend if I can manage to stop procrastinating.

Gondor

matrixone

Gondor,
Go with the plan B, I did that same thing when I built my 1/32 scale Fw 190A-10 a while back.
The plastic card gives strength to the glue join on the tail and also makes it easier to use filler to fix any gaps.

Matrixone

Gondor

Quote from: matrixone on May 13, 2011, 11:31:48 AM
Gondor,
Go with the plan B, I did that same thing when I built my 1/32 scale Fw 190A-10 a while back.
The plastic card gives strength to the glue join on the tail and also makes it easier to use filler to fix any gaps.

Matrixone

I actually have tried plan D which is a variation of plan C which I forgot to say was to use two part epoxy glue to both pad out the hollow fuselage and to glue the tail into place. Plan D is effectively the same as plan C but using filler which is within arms reach and quicker to use than the epoxy glue. Superglue will be used later to help with the joint as required unless the filler version doesn't work then it's back to plan C.

Gondor

Gondor

A couple of progress shots of the tail that at the moment is wagging this project....

As you can see, the join is going to be a right b***h to get to look nice but then the tail was for a D-9 not an A or F version.

Anyway, after all the PSR I did with my Meteor F2 this should be simple....... right  :blink:

The filler method (plan D) appears to have worked with some superglue used to strengthen the joint. I am not so happy about the slight gap between the parts but it will help to hide the difference in shape and size of the two cross sections being forced to work together.

Gondor