AGM-45 Shrike

Started by chrisonord, December 20, 2010, 09:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 22, 2010, 07:28:35 AM
They're possibly a bit big/heavy for helicopters? There was a Sidewinder variant with an anti-radar seeker, the AGM-122 SideARM. That might be a good basis - they're smaller and lighter, so your helos could carry more.
They are not really that big especially compared to a HARM, and if they are of similar weight/size to a sparrow, then they shouldn't be that bad to load a helo out with.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

ChernayaAkula

How about a multiple ground-based launcher (either stationary or mobile)? You could use them as SAMs or, like the Israelis, as ARMs.

Quote from: rickshaw on December 21, 2010, 01:38:39 AM
<...> everything else, particularly the rocket motor, warhead and airframe are more than likely still in production - it is afterall just a modified Sparrow.

Not really. While based in parts on early Sparrows, the Shrike was a different animal with a smaller rocket motor, heavier warhead and different fins.
Whether the Sparrow's still in production is another question. Nobody has any need for new-built missiles. What missiles are left in stock will be used up, but after that it's AMRAAMs only.
The Sea Sparrow might be another matter. I don't know whether these are still in production. Maybe they have a set-up similar to the Sparrow/AMRAAM: use up what's left in stock and replace with Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile.

Quote from: Jschmus on December 21, 2010, 10:18:21 PM
While we're on the subject, could the missile wells under a Phantom be modified to accept Shrikes in place of the usual Sparrows? <...>

While they probably could be adapted, it would be just too much hassle on a mission-to-mission basis. Apart from the different overall lengths, the Shrike and Sparrow had different lengths between forward and rear fins, meaning the fin cut-outs in the aircraft fuselage were in the wrong place for the other missile.

Drawing is to scale:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

DarrenP

some foreign platforms I wonder whether Shirke could have been fitted to:-

Buccaneer
Phantom FG-1 and FGR-2
Jaguar GR-1, GR-1A and GR-3
Harrier GR-3, GR-5, GR-7 and GR-9
Sea Harrier FRS-1 & FRS-2
Canberra

Weaver

Probably all of those are credible, given how easily they adapted the Vulcans to fire Shrike in 1982.

BTW, is a "Shirke" a Shrike that doesn't work?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DarrenP

Shrike is listed in the Modern RAF by Terry Gander published in the 80's/90's but apart from Vulcan have never seen any photographic evidence of it in use.

rickshaw

Quote from: DarrenP on December 09, 2014, 02:22:48 AM
Shrike is listed in the Modern RAF by Terry Gander published in the 80's/90's but apart from Vulcan have never seen any photographic evidence of it in use.

It must have been taken on charge for the Black Buck raids.  Once on charge, it's listed in the inventory until it's struck off.  More than likely when they got the ones for Black Buck they got twice as many as were required and they still languishing in some missile store somewhere...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

In a shed on Ascension Island, I expect....
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

Jschmus

QuoteThe Shrike was developed at China Lake using a custom-developed seeker mated to an AIM-7C Sparrow missile.
I thought they kluged the seeker from the Corvus to the AIM-7?

QuoteKnowing some of the crazy things they did at China Lake
Like what if I may ask?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.