Santa's Sleigh

Started by philp, December 20, 2010, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

OK, Alvis was looking for ideas for his latest Santa's vehicles builds over on ARC and someone suggested the Star Wars Pod Racer with 8 engines.  Yep, the idea just grabbed my attention.  Now I just need to find 4 of these old kits for a reasonable price (or 1 full kit and engines from 3 others).  Figure I could put the "reindeer" names on each of the engine pods and maybe add a little cargo space at the rear of the cockpit so the sack would have a place to sit.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Geoff

philp

Ok, got one kit on the way.  Now just need 3 sets of additional engines or an alternative source of "reindeer".  Wonder if any of those larger engines off of 1/144 scale airliners would be big enough?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Alvis 3.14159

It's a really cool idea I won't be using, as the unspoken concept behind me asking on ARC is to never use what is suggested, shhh...don't tell them, it's been working for years now!
I can imagine all 8 engines tossing and rolling around in flight like, well, 8 reindeer. Go for it, it's a reallt nifty idea.

Alvis Pi

dragon

Quote from: philp on December 20, 2010, 10:57:31 AM
OK, Alvis was looking for ideas for his latest Santa's vehicles builds over on ARC and someone suggested the Star Wars Pod Racer with 8 engines.  Yep, the idea just grabbed my attention.  Now I just need to find 4 of these old kits for a reasonable price (or 1 full kit and engines from 3 others).  Figure I could put the "reindeer" names on each of the engine pods and maybe add a little cargo space at the rear of the cockpit so the sack would have a place to sit.

Somewhere, somehow, you should look up "Resin Casting".  That way you can cast your own engines....As many as you want.....Including one with an FLIR named RUDOLPH.....
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Alvis,
You are just too mean.  I knew I liked you for a reason.  Can't wait to see what you really come up with.

Dragon (still can't believe I can't remember your name),
Think trying to learn how to cast them, make the molds and try to cast them could cost me a lot more up front.  Besides, after having the kit (still don't believe I sold it when this great idea existed) and seeing how many parts I would need to do for each engine and that clear purple connector, I will be happy to come up 8 engines the hard way.  But once I get the kit, I will be looking into some sizing of the odd cylinder shapes lying around.  If anyone has some engine suggestions, please post away (especially if I can get 8 cheaply).

As for Rudolph, think the jet exhaust would come straight back on Santa and ruin his evening ride.  Much like if the reindeer version needed to do some business while in flight (if you know what I mean).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Hmmm.  If any of our profilers want to give this idea a go, would love to see some suggested finishes.

Also, need to find a 32nd scale Santa and some toys to flesh out his sack.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Army of One

I have some various kit bags and wooden boxes in 1/35....all in mostly tamiya plastic.....you are welcome to them...prob not til after Xmas or even new year though....what about using some fettled old style 35mm camera film containers......some are circular n some are oval....??
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

philp

I'll take em, Thanks.  And no hurry.  Think I will plan this to finish before Christmas 2011 (a whole year, that still may be cutting it short :blink:).  Not so worried about what is buried in the bag, just what is sticking out the top.  Couple wrapped boxes, a teddy bear, doll, that type of stuff.  Always pictured Santa's sack as a Bag of Holding from D&D or even an Extension Charm like Hermione's bag in the latest HP movie.  So I don't need to go overboard on size but still want it big enough for people to know what it is.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

Phillip,
I was thinking.....You know, those purportedly (AMT/Revell?) 1/48 scale X-wing are cheap and plentiful enough...With a little surgery and scale-o-rama and other assorted techniques you would have 4 engines to play with (given that you buy one X-wing)........
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Checked out the X-wing, possibilities but would still need to purchase 2 of them.

Checked through my Sci-Fi bits box (what, you don't sort your parts by type?) and found these.

Maybe I will be able to concoct my own engines.  Got to look at pics of some of the others from the movie.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

Receipt tubes  :mellow: very cool  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Gondor

This looks interesting if your building your own engines, if so please post progress pictures so the rest of us can learn

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Army of One

Quote from: Gondor on December 23, 2010, 01:22:08 AM
This looks interesting if your building your own engines, if so please post progress pictures so the rest of us can learn

Gondor

What he said.....!!

Philp....PM me an address.....I'll dig out some stuff and send it in the new year.......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

dragon

Quote from: philp on December 22, 2010, 03:45:15 PM
Checked out the X-wing, possibilities but would still need to purchase 2 of them.

Checked through my Sci-Fi bits box (what, you don't sort your parts by type?) and found these.

Maybe I will be able to concoct my own engines.  Got to look at pics of some of the others from the movie.
I have one in my "Boneyard"....If you are interested.  I like my Fine Molds 1/72 X-Wing much better and it goes nicely with the rest of my 1/72 scale world....