Santa's Sleigh

Started by philp, December 20, 2010, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Quote from: dragon on December 23, 2010, 09:44:04 AM
I have one in my "Boneyard"....If you are interested.  I like my Fine Molds 1/72 X-Wing much better and it goes nicely with the rest of my 1/72 scale world....

I will take anything you want to contribute :bow:

I normally build 72nd for everything but a lot of Sci-Fi is across the board.  I need another 1-2 of the FM X-wings and a Y-wing.  Still trying to talk someone into getting me the FM 72nd Falcon which is just back out but doesn't look like Santa is listening.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Besides what engines I come up with, been thinking of how the "reindeer" should be arranged.  Had a JMN moment wondering if they are placed one in front of the other, would the exhausts mess up the trailing engines?  Do I need to mount them in a V type formation or maybe a circular version like this?
[imghttp://www.fortunecity.com/village/martina/460/Quad.jpg[/img]

But then I think Santa has that special magic so the original configuration would be just fine.

Plus, I got to thinking of something other than round engines.  Got to go check the Dollar stores.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Podracer engines are all sorts of shapes, not just tubes. Info on links from here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Podracer

Regarding arrangement, how about staggered pairs? Santa's reindeers are often shown with the front ones higher up as if they're climbing, so why not have the podracer engines in pairs, with the front pair exhausting above the second pair,the second pair exhausting above the third pair and the third pair exhausting above the last pair?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

Staggered up, there is an idea.

Did a little search for alternative engine designs (OK, typed in highlighter but you get the drift).  Who knew there were so many kinds of these things now.  May have to look at a few of these for other projects.

For the "reindeer" though, these look promising.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Quote from: philp on December 23, 2010, 09:03:17 PM
Staggered up, there is an idea.

Did a little search for alternative engine designs (OK, typed in highlighter but you get the drift).  Who knew there were so many kinds of these things now.  May have to look at a few of these for other projects.

For the "reindeer" though, these look promising.

Oh hell yeah - there are some oval-section ones with rounded ends too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dragon

You could also add to your "whiffy" Santa being tracked and trailed by 1/144 or 1/350 scale Fighter Jets in forced perspective....I was thinking about this when remembering that there is such a thing as a NORAD Santa Tracker.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

philp

Thanks for bringing up how I am going to display this mess.  Always hated the wires that make up the original stand on the Pod Racer kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

[Thread hijack]

Santa Claus at Volkel Airfield in December 1944, hands out presents to Dutch children.
This year Santa was afraid of Messerschmitts so he decided to come by Tempest!!

[Source ]

[/thread hijack]
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

dragon

Quote from: philp on December 24, 2010, 05:05:20 PM
Thanks for bringing up how I am going to display this mess.  Always hated the wires that make up the original stand on the Pod Racer kit.
If the engines are light enough, you can always place transparent plastic rods as stands for each engine and sleigh.  So far this has worked for both 1/350 scale resin submarines and the 1/350 Moebius Seaview.  Of course, the shorter the rod, the stronger it will be when bearing the weight of the engine or sleigh. 
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

raafif

you could suspend the various components all in mid-air without any connection between them by using those rare-earth magnets -- Revell did a display kit of a Spitfire using those -- a bit expensive but looks great.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.