. . . And what did YOU get for Christmas?

Started by bobbo, December 26, 2010, 05:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Non modeling related got The Essential Calvin and Hobbes and The Muppet Show 3. 

My wife ordered Falklands: The Air War.  My favorite book on the subject.  Used to check it out all the time from the library before they got rid of it.  That should be here this week or next.

My #2 son gave me a $50 shopping spree as a combined Birthday/Christmas prezzie.  So we went to the LHS Sunday and picked up another Revell Hunter and an Academy P-38J, both in 72nd.  Also got an issue of SAMI from the bookstore as it has a great article on the Airfix Birddog by Mike Grant.

Wife also got me Were Eagles Dare so I finally have all my fav war flicks.

Last thing she got me was a big surprise.  A Hands on experience in a Whirlybird Helicopter.  This is a 30 minute flight where I actually get to fly the thing :blink: :thumbsup:.  Will probably plan this for sometime in the spring.  My brother-in-law got the same thing from his wife so maybe we can go at the same time.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

Quote from: JoeP on December 27, 2010, 04:36:54 PM
Love that ship from Blake's 7!

Nothing directly model-related for me, but did get "The Furniture Guys Book" and a magazine of 200 Woodworking Tips and Tricks, because my other hobby is fixing and building furniture.

Since I didn't get anything for models, I will therefore reward myself with a couple 1/72 armour models to build a modern Lee/Grant. I'll pick the models when I get to the hobby store.

So is there horse haar and shellac in your future?  ;)

Steel Penguin

Lee, ill add my voice to the Whos? where? size? question if i can please, as my ideas for making one involed silligum and a comet minis liberator.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

The Wooksta!

The build thread for it is here:

http://www.blakes-7.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8614&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

And it's approx 50cm long, so it's a fair size.  Having seen the originals at Telford a few years back, I think it's actually studio scale.  50cm would fit in right as the big Liberator model was about 3ft long and the Chase Craft are simply a weapon pod with an engine on the back.

I've been toying with building one for years using the wreck of a Comet Liberator and IIRC, the builder of the big beastie I'm getting did a build article many years ago for the Horizon (Blake's 7 fan club) newsletter on how to build a pair in scale with the Comet Liberator.

If I was to do it now, it would be with an eye to moulding and casting it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

lancer

For the first time ever I actually got a MODEL kit for crimbo!!!!! Way to go little brother....Revell P1099B heavy armour. Insta wiff in a box, but it now gives me 2 to play with....
Also got Flying at the edge by Squadron Leader Tony Doyle. Big book and looking forward to reading it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

frank2056

It was an all armor Christmas for me; in addition to the BA-64B and M3A1 I got two George Bradford AFV Plans books - Cold war armored fighting vehicles and 1914-1938 AFVs

Martin H

That cold war armor book is good, It was my dads prezzi from me.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

chrisonord

Nothing model related this year as the missus thinks I have too many all ready :unsure:
But my prezzies were good though, got a Cannon powershot A490 digital camera, loads better than my old crappy thing. My usual VIZ annual "The five knuckle shuffle", some clothes, a remote control flying mosquito (the insect one) that is really just a contra rotor mini helicopter with the body made to look like a mosquito. What a laugh trying to get this thing to fly  :wacko: A Music CD, and the latest Predator DVD " Predators", I can put this one on my iPod too. Oh and a load of alcohol  :drink:
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

My future son-in-law, the Second Best Air Traffic Controller in the RAF (He's going to marry the Best one...  ;D) is still based at Odiham, so we've bought him an R/C electric flying Chinook! It's in the well-known 1/56 scale (!) and came as a US Army version, but I re-painted it as an RAF HC2, scanned and re-did the decals from a Revell 1/144 scale version and made it into 'Bravo November', naturally.  ;D

I gave it a test flight in the garden this afternoon, it's a total hoot, like an electric dragonfly!

We're giving it to him later today, the look on his face should be priceless.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Falcon on December 27, 2010, 12:09:23 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on December 27, 2010, 10:15:16 AM
A massage from the salon just down the street.    :party: :party: :party:

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more. ;)

Beat me to it Chris - I have a picture of a "carry On" sketch in my minds eye  :blink: :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

monkeyhanger

Number oe daughter 'phoned a few days ago:

"I'm in the Airfix shop (her name for any model shop), what do you want?".

What a girl. I can almost forgive her for wanting to be an accountant.

I said, any new release. I always say to my daughters, if it has Airfix on the box, it is a good present for me. So I ended up with the De Havilland DH88 (what if PR conversion?) and the 1:48 scale Messerschmitt 109E. The latter will be an out of the box bild, Battle of Britain era........
If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Joe C-P

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 27, 2010, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: JoeP on December 27, 2010, 04:36:54 PM
Love that ship from Blake's 7!

Nothing directly model-related for me, but did get "The Furniture Guys Book" and a magazine of 200 Woodworking Tips and Tricks, because my other hobby is fixing and building furniture.

So is there horse haar and shellac in your future?  ;)

My wife and I loved that show, and I learned a lot from watching those latter-day vaudevilliens!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

upnorth

The only model related thing I got was an Amodel 1/144 Antonov An-74 that I bought for myself.

Other than that, got some nice stuff in general. Twas a good Christmas.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

bobbo

You all are a bunch of lucky folks!  I've been playing with my airbrush - using propellant cans - and I've decided that a compressor is in my VERY near future.  Seems like SWMBO will picking up some consultant work to supplement her retirement & Social Security, and MY Social Security kicks in about the middle of January, so we now have some "disposable" income. 

bobbbo