Ornamental Aeroplanes

Started by Weaver, December 26, 2010, 08:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

I apologise for not posting this gift idea before Christmas, but the intended recipient has been known to have a look on here:

Ear rings for my friend Lisa (30-odd going on 12  ;D), made from 1/800th F-14s out of a CC Lee Nimitz. The canopy bows were masked with 0.5mm masking tape and the exhausts drilled out, one very deeply to allow mounting on a cocktail stick for painting:

And in their intended operational enviroment:

Suitably military box, made from a "Really Useful" box spray-painted Vauxhall Titanium with self-print decal ("POG" is Lisa's nickname):

Liner and divider made from sticky-back black foam:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

That's brilliant! ;D I trust they were well-received?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sequoiaranger

I suppose SOMEBODY had to think of that! Truly unique, as I have never seen anything like it in shops, even gift shops at air shows and/or museums!!

My wife makes jewelry, and I have a stash of 1/500 to 1/700 aircraft, so maybe....
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Steel Penguin

Brill idea, and nicley exceuted,
i do hope Lisa liked them.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

beowulf

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Tophe

Funny... Maybe not very feminine but I am not sure ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Well done Weaver, truly original!  :thumbsup:

I've been known to hand paint some earings for Mrs PR19 in the past, but nothing as original as THAT!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cliffy B

Sweet!  I wonder if there's an untapped market for earrings like that?  You're on to something man  :cheers:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

rickshaw

Some bloke in China is already producing them!  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Cheers Folks - yes, they went down very well, thanks, although since she turned up unannounced a day early, she had to wait while I replaced a decal that had peeled over Christmas Day... ;D

The idea was actually her's, about this time last year, but I think she though she was joking.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Great idea and brilliantly executed  :thumbsup: Make a few more and try them out at a craft fair/boot sale ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cobra

Great Idea,Weaver :thumbsup: have you Thought about Doing a Matching Necklace like that? Even Though i'm a 'Yank', I Think You did a Great Job! Stay Cool & Keep up the Great Work! :cheers:Dan

Taiidantomcat

My Girlfriend loves them and so do I!  :wub: Well done Weaver!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

lenny100

the wife wants me to make her some now  THANKS
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

philp

<jmn mode on>Too many stars on the wing tops.<jmn mode off>

Great idea.  Think those would be popular around US Naval bases.  Maybe some Eagles or Vipers for the USAF BXs.

I like the fact that it was her idea and that she may have been joking is even better.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies