Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

We'll have some too.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Thorvic on October 07, 2014, 11:37:39 AM
Moving to a new larger facility so they are clearing down stocks of less popular items or ones scheduled to go oop

Where they off to Geoff ? The visitor centre staying Margate way ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2014, 07:21:09 AM
Moving to a new larger facility so they are clearing down stocks of less popular items or ones scheduled to go oop

iirc, their warehouse is moving elsewhere within kent and the visitor centre is staying put.
Keeper of George the Cat.

zenrat

I picked up the latest Airfix Model World mag to hit these shores today.  The August Issue  (1/48 Spit Vb on the cover).
Flippin' ridiculous.  I think they send them down in a kayak.
I've bitten the bullet and subscribed for 2 years.  It's a big chunk of dosh but it works out cheaper per issue, means I don't drive the newsagent ladies insane looking to see if it's in yet AND get a free model.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on October 09, 2014, 03:31:15 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2014, 07:21:09 AM

iirc, their warehouse is moving elsewhere within kent and the visitor centre is staying put.

Cheers Howard

Zenrat : we are up to the November issue in the UK. Airfix is the worst of the magazines that I get regarding dates. Most of the others come out the last week of the month and will be for the following month. Airfix comes out 1st/2nd of month and is for the following month ???  :banghead:

I know one or two people who would have convinced their kids it couldn't be read until the month on the cover had started  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks Narse.  The first issue i'll get from them will be October meaning i'll still need to haunt the newsos in order to get the September issue which I believe is the Swift one.

Fred

NARSES2

Yup, Sept is the Swift, October the Gnat and Nov (I told you it was daft) is the Do 17.

Mr.Creak

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2014, 06:32:49 AMAirfix comes out 1st/2nd of month and is for the following month ???
It might look like a magazine is for "the following month" (e.g. you buy one on, say, Sep 3rd, and it says "November" on the cover) but I was once informed that in actuality 1 it's a notification for shop staff: i.e. it should be removed from sale in November.
I failed, at the time and still do to this day, to see how it makes any difference: a magazine that says "November" should be taken off the shelves in November or one that says "September" should be taken off the shelves in November.
The fact that some magazines have this system and some don't is surely more complicated than the simple "If it says September then we sell it during September" (rather than "Which system does this one fall under?").
Innovation?
Bah!
We didn't have such new-fangled ideas when I were a lad.

1 Although, admittedly, it was for some other mag, not specifically Airfix.
What if... I had a brain?

NARSES2

Well that's interesting, never thought of that and as far as Airfix is concerned it works I suppose.

As you say having to check to see which system the title uses kind of defeats the object  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Building my PR9 Lightning has showed up some amazing things about the Airfix Lightning kit. The latest I discovered while painting the landing gear.

I couldn't understand why they'd moulded a key into the main gear legs so the wheels would only fit on one way up. The tyres don't have flats moulded into them, or none that I could see anyway, so why go to the expense of designing in the keys? The nosewheel DOES have a flat moulded in though, albeit a small one, so it was even more odd.

Then while painting the wheels I found they'd moulded in very small tyre bulges, right on the bottom of course.

The Frightening ran VERY high tyre pressures, over 150 psi as I recall, and they were filled with nitrogen as a safety measure. At that pressure even the 45000 lbs of aircraft weight didn't squish the tyres all that much, thus the lack of significant flats.

Nice one Airfix.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I think the mk.22 Spit had that feature as well ? At least somat Airfix I have recently built did.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

I've had the same experience with a few of the new tool Airfix kits Kit (see my blog re the Blenheim). You look at the part and go "why ?" and then latter on in the build process you go "Oh ! what a good idea"

Even the instructions depart from standard in that a lot of the new tools do not start with the cockpit - heresy some people say  ;D

Can I have the Do 17 now please ?

Captain Canada

But we can be rebels and glue the cockpit together first eh ?!

:wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Ah but wanting the status quo doesn't make you a rebel Capt. It makes you a died in the wool traditionalist  ;D

Captain Canada

You're right...I suppose it's really Airfix being the rebels !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?