Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2017, 04:13:47 PM
It's great to see a 'modern technology' Wellington being planned, but I can't help feeling it's going to be pretty expensive with all that interior detail that will be all but invisible once it's assembled.

The Shackleton kits were just the same, and I feel there would have been considerable mileage in making a cheaper version without all the interior stuff, it'd just be a matter of not including some of the sprues, if they were designed correctly of course.

As you say Kit, I think the majority of those getting built you won't see much of the interior. However, I've seen some simple stunning 'cutway' built models over the years where the modeler scratch built most of the interior, I can see quite a few of these getting done like that --- and the Shackleton for that matter.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Thorvic on June 24, 2017, 04:54:18 AM
plus you can use the Lowewolf conversion set to do the first AEW one with the TV detector van fairing.

Given that Airfix are doing it you might well see a decent high altitude conversion set by a decent aftermarket producer, always one to suggest to Colin, Glen or Alec. :thumbsup:

One I'd buy a Ic for that's for sure. You need a Ic to do the Mk.V and Mk.VI too, I'm sure I could modify the Unicraft conversion to fit it properly
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 24, 2017, 02:37:16 AM

Although I wonder if they have considered offering these internal detail sprues as extras, in a similar way as the boxed P.R. set for the Victor (was it ?). Given the price they could sell it at would probably increase their profit margins as well ?

No, it was the Valiant, but I can see those same hose reel mouldings showing up in the back of a Victor K2 before much longer, albeit with a different base etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Thorvic on June 24, 2017, 04:59:08 AM
Also that's just the first sneak peek at the 2018 releases, being the end of WW1 and the 100th of the RAF, expect an RAF bias with a mixed range of releases, we know we can probably guess on the RAF Phantom FGR2, and theirs a strong chance of an alternative Victor boxing, there's likely going to be something big (SMW reveal ?) but whether its a big 1/72nd heavy, a 48th or maybe 24th anything from WW1 to present day is possible.

Sounds like what may happen to me  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

6th November 2017 is the 60th anniversary of the first flight of the Rotodyne... ;D

In the history of the Wimpy stuff on the Airfix website is a picture of one that returned safely with most of it's fabric covering missing from the rear fuselage (fire I guess).  Now THAT would be a good way to model one to show off the interior.  When I look at what Airfix provided to go into the Shack my first thought was "that's a lot of stuff for my parts box".

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on June 25, 2017, 04:12:42 AM
6th November is the 60th anniversary of the first flight of the Rotodyne... ;D

In the history of the Wimpy stuff on the Airfix website is a picture of one that returned safely with most of it's fabric covering missing from the rear fuselage (fire I guess).  Now THAT would be a good way to model one to show off the interior.  When I look at what Airfix provided to go into the Shack my first thought was "that's a lot of stuff for my parts box".

One for the photoetch boys. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

The latest Airfix magazine dropped through my letter box this morning (August ??). Anyway they have builds of the new tool 1/48 Walrus and 1/72 Me 262. They both look absolutely gorgeous and reading the reviews build really well and easily. Looking forward to both even if the Walrus is 1/48th.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

I'd been thinking of buying another 1/72 Me-262 but the canopy on the Revell kit is so bad that when i heard of the Airfix kit, i decided to wait and see so, by what you're saying, it's probably a better kit.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

The Revell kit is basically nice, but totally over-engineered. Anyone who built it (me included) had issues with the lower front fuselage. Looking forward to the Airfix alternative - I am really impressed by the new moulds, even though some SRP tags appear pretty high to me.

DogfighterZen

From what i've seen on airfix's page, it seems like the breakdown of the parts is very similar to the Revell kit...

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-2017-announcements-begin/
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

I have the MPM bomber nose 262 mistel (with an unmanned 262 on a rocket trolley as the bottom half)  whiff in a box kit. Anyone know what that's like to build?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

KiwiZac

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 06, 2017, 12:11:08 AM
The Revell kit is basically nice, but totally over-engineered. Anyone who built it (me included) had issues with the lower front fuselage.
I built it when I was 13-15 (not sure when) and can't remember any issues. To each their own!

Speaking of anniversaries, the other day was the 100th of the Fokker Triplane's maiden flight. Maybe a replacement for that old kit is in the works? I know Revell and others do nice ones but they don't make Airfix money. Surely we're due some more WW1 types?!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Wooksta!

Quote from: zenrat on July 06, 2017, 03:00:00 AM
I have the MPM bomber nose 262 mistel (with an unmanned 262 on a rocket trolley as the bottom half)  whiff in a box kit. Anyone know what that's like to build?

The fuselages are fine - they used a Hasegawa kit as a master - but the wings and engines won't match as they are by Smer (and from the Heller Me 262B).  You'd be better off using the Revell kit for the wings, engines, u/c and interior - they will fit the fuselage with some minor surgery, trust me on this as I've done it albeit twenty years ago -  but you'll have to correct the sit as Revell got it wrong.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: KiwiZac on July 06, 2017, 01:19:17 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 06, 2017, 12:11:08 AM

Speaking of anniversaries, the other day was the 100th of the Fokker Triplane's maiden flight. Maybe a replacement for that old kit is in the works? I know Revell and others do nice ones but they don't make Airfix money. Surely we're due some more WW1 types?!

I think you might see a couple of WWI types next year Zac. They have done a couple of new tools, but they will probably be British. So a Camel, Bristol Fighter perhaps ? What's around in the UK/Europe for them to scan ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.