Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

That looks as if there are copious amounts of spares

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

They'd need a totally new fuselage sprue for the later ones after looking at the pics. The tail turret had a much deeper section around the tailplane area, and it's not a glue-on option in the current kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

in case any one wants to go, and hasn't read my blog post

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/whats-going-on/events/free-airfix-talk-the-v-bombers-and-airfix-ki/       airfix doing a talk at cosford

tickets are free, and the info is sent out by e-mail, and as of a week and a half ago there were still tickets.   and according to the e-mail I got from cosford, attendees will get a voucher for 10% of plastic models on the day at the shop.  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2018, 11:24:34 AM
They'd need a totally new fuselage sprue for the later ones after looking at the pics. The tail turret had a much deeper section around the tailplane area, and it's not a glue-on option in the current kit.

I think that is what they will do Kit. That's the way the 262 has been tooled, so that they can produce the two seater with just one new sprue and don't need to change the rest of the toolings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

The talk today at the Cosford air museum was ok, the researcher who gave it was interesting, and interested in his stuff.  only covered the 3 upcoming kits, the Wellington, Hunter and Blenheim   with a bit on how each was researched, the measuring process, the scanning process, and the "what else can we make from this" thought process, including where they got the copious drawings from the Blenheim from.   Also mentioned how generally they plan 3 (ish) years ahead, so anything for anniversary's, or big events has to have a certain amount of forethought,  the fact that its not a large staff doing the design / research / Cad etc  roughly 7 people, with 2 -3 of them splitting time between Airfix, Scalextric, and Corgi.    For anything further off, he was very tight lipped, mentioning only that hed like to do a Lincoln, ( but that a certain other Avro product over our heads is likely to get a redo 1st)  and I think it was more of hed like it as opposed to company line.  ;D

it was a little over an hour, and certainly not wasted time, and there were plenty of spare seats in the lecture hall, so  if its on again next year ill be trying to get in again.   
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 21, 2018, 06:56:26 AM

....only covered the 3 upcoming kits, the Wellington, Hunter and Blenheim   with a bit on how each was researched, the measuring process, the scanning process, and the "what else can we make from this" thought process,

A 1/72 scale HUNTER!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

sorry Kit its 48th  :-\

Old Wombat

I think Kit's statement
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2018, 07:35:55 AM
A 1/72 scale HUNTER!
was in direct response to the line
Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 21, 2018, 06:56:26 AM
"what else can we make from this"

As in; Kit would like to see Airfix use the relatively easy ability to convert between scales on CAD used to produce a new tool 1/72 scale Hunter.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I meant the '...."what else can we make from this" thought process.....' bit.

A 1/72 scale Hunter is EXACTLY what they can make from the 1/48 version.

OK, Revell may be re-popping their FGA9 late this year, but an Airfix Hunter with their current tech would be AMAZING!

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

my apology's on that, I had miss read.  but ( and I may be indulging a bit here)  that may be a bit of an option, the speaker was rather cryptic on future options / versions, so I do think they keep the options open on scale variation

KiwiZac

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 21, 2018, 08:23:52 AM
the speaker was rather cryptic on future options / versions
So that's a "maybe" on the 1/24 Shorts Seamew? :wacko:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Steel Penguin

:o  I dought any 1:24th in the near future, he said that it was a lot of work to do 1/24th stuff  sort of 1 of those or 2 or 3 1/72 kits, so they have to be certain that ittl be a massive seller,   so the seamew is a possible yes  :o :o or something equally desirable and world wide wanted  ( insert rolling on back laughing smiley here)

Gondor

Got a message from Airfix earlier tonight saying that the 1/72 Sea Harrier F/A2 was available again.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Scaling a model from 1/48th to 1/72nd isn't quite as simple as hitting the 'scale' key in Autocad. The numbers on the drawing may change, but the minimum thickness of plastic you can have with injection molding technology stays the same. Unless you want your 1/72nd version to be paper thin and impossibly fragile, the scale thickness of everything has to go up and that affects the fit of everything else. For instance, if you make the scale thickness of the fuselage halves greater, then the cockpit tub will no longer fit between them unless you redesign it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on February 21, 2018, 07:43:00 PM
Scaling a model from 1/48th to 1/72nd isn't quite as simple as hitting the 'scale' key in Autocad. The numbers on the drawing may change, but the minimum thickness of plastic you can have with injection molding technology stays the same. Unless you want your 1/72nd version to be paper thin and impossibly fragile, the scale thickness of everything has to go up and that affects the fit of everything else. For instance, if you make the scale thickness of the fuselage halves greater, then the cockpit tub will no longer fit between them unless you redesign it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: