Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 07, 2018, 04:57:09 AM
I think something I'd like to see from Airfix, is a good DH Hornet in 1/72 --- with all the extra tanks and rp's which they hung off it

Sadly, that's not likely to happen.  Airfix policy is that they'll only do subjects with either extant examples available to measure or with full engineering data and accurate plans in the case of extinct aircraft.  The latter explains why we've seen a Whitley in recent years.

Fast forward a few years to when the one being restored/recreated to flying condition in New Zealand is flying, you may be on to something.  But that presumes Airfix is still going and Hornby haven't hit the buffers with the usurious parasites... Banks.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 07, 2018, 06:14:22 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on October 07, 2018, 03:11:36 AM

Still in 1/72 there's also the new Hurricane IV, but I suspect that'll not be a new mould, rather new parts for their [EDIT] )not-as-good-as-it-should-have-been-and-nowhere-near-as-good-as-their-recent-MkI) MkIIc from a few years back.  The new mould Buccaneer will go down a storm, although the resin accessory sellers won't be happy as their sales based on the A03055/A04049 kit will decline.  As for the new Anson (a Mk XIX I hear), that'll be good military/civil market fodder.

It would be nice to see a new Harvard but that and a Beech T-6 Texan will have to wait until 2020.

Allegedly you are a responsible adult in a responsible job  :banghead:  ;)

It's my day off.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on October 07, 2018, 03:11:36 AM

Still in 1/72 there's also the new Hurricane IV, but I suspect that'll not be a new mould, rather new parts for their [EDIT] (not-as-good-as-it-should-have-been-and-nowhere-near-as-good-as-their-recent-MkI) MkIIc from a few years back.  The new mould Buccaneer will go down a storm, although the resin accessory sellers won't be happy as their sales based on the A03055/A04049 kit will decline. 

Would love to know the source of the information for these two new mold kits.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Librarian

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 30, 2018, 05:47:35 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 29, 2018, 06:00:35 PM
And that's the attitude to take - wrong scale, not interested in the subject but I hope it sells heaps so they can make something I will buy.

Agreed  :thumbsup:

I may well buy this as it happens. The XIV is one of my favourite marks of Spitfire and I'm currently enjoying the 1/48th Airfix Walrus. So maybe 1 or 2 1/48th's a year ?

Well I'm throbbing in the nether regions 'cos my plan worked. Ignore the models for a year and Fate will influence the release of a 1/48 XIV to tempt me back...yah-boo, I've screwed the system :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Librarian on November 04, 2018, 10:17:09 AM

Well I'm throbbing in the nether regions 'cos my plan worked. Ignore the models for a year and Fate will influence the release of a 1/48 XIV to tempt me back...yah-boo, I've screwed the system :wacko:

Or just maybe ??????????????  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

I just get happy when model companies exit the thought-box. It's like aviation art...a neverending stream of the same old hat. Taking a break from it all and then having a browse through Hannants is a joy. A new Albacore, Firefly etc etc. I'd like to stick to what-ifs as I'm allowed to 'fly', but this time-ish last year I had about eight ideas boiling over and decided to call it quits. Chucked everything out...all I have is some unopened brushes, paints etc and the tools (and one kit I saved  ;) ).

zenrat

1/72 Buccaneer.
There are a number of examples to 3d scan.  Get on with it Airfix.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Scotaidh

Quote from: Librarian on November 06, 2018, 09:00:09 AM
I just get happy when model companies exit the thought-box. It's like aviation art...a neverending stream of the same old hat. Taking a break from it all and then having a browse through Hannants is a joy. A new Albacore, Firefly etc etc. I'd like to stick to what-ifs as I'm allowed to 'fly', but this time-ish last year I had about eight ideas boiling over and decided to call it quits. Chucked everything out...all I have is some unopened brushes, paints etc and the tools (and one kit I saved  ;) ).

Only eight ideas?  I sympathize - I've had "creator's block", too ...  ;)

Seriously, though - I feel your pain.  Earlier this year I made a (partial) list of all I wanted to do this year - well, the ideas that came to me at that moment.  There are 13 of them on this sheet of paper - none have actually happened, although I will count one as done because I did something similar with my J79-engined Cutlass.

I bought three more kits, two for projects not on the list.  One was inspired by the a-symmetric Blenheim someone here built; the other was to be a 'simple' revamp of a Churchill tank ... The Churchill project has been stalled by the Carpet Monster's appetite for 1/72 road wheels; the A-symmetric bomber is still taunting me.

The third project, the listed one, languishes a-top of a stack of empty shipping boxes which await disposal.  (The boxes keep it at eye level so I don't forget it again.)

In the meantime, Real Life insists on intruding - job, family, and so on.   :rolleyes:  This is not an easy life, the life of the Whiffer.

So - we all want to know - what is the kit you saved, and what plans have you for it?   :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 10, 2018, 03:17:22 AM
It's a 1/24 Grumman Hellcat.

Wrong scale. :-\

But it looks very impressive and I am sure those with more room than me will love it and I hope it sells so they can use the profits to clean up the Rotodyne moulds... :mellow:

Anything new in 1/72 announced he asked hopefully...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

I  totally agree: I hope it does well so they make something I want. When I saw the first picture I thought it was 1/48!

And no. I asked on Facebook and they said nothing planned for today, but plenty in the New Year.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

JayBee

I think this will sell very well in North America and in the Far East.
Not so sure about Europe.
I love the markings they are showing for it, anything with a Sharkmouth does it for me.
I also wonder if at a later date they will issue a -3 with the extra cockpit side windows.
Certainly for me it is in the wrong scale, far, far, FAR TOO big, but that is just me.
I do understand the Airfix/Hornby requirement to have something sensational to release as a news item at SMW. What better place to do it.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2018, 03:38:05 AM

Does the RAF Phantom F-4M count? It's due out in December with all sorts of RAF type weapons instead of the FAA ones in the F-4K.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 10, 2018, 11:31:17 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2018, 03:38:05 AM

Does the RAF Phantom F-4M count? It's due out in December with all sorts of RAF type weapons instead of the FAA ones in the F-4K.

Could've sworn I saw a couple on a stand... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones