Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Thorvic on November 14, 2018, 04:33:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2018, 01:57:42 AM
Well I was initially disappointed with the announcement of the Hellcat, but after looking at it a few times I did start to come around and so did one or two others of our community I was talking to as well  ;)

The model itself looks superb and with folding wings is a little more shelf friendly. The look of the kit makes me think someone will replicate that famous footage of the Hellcat striking the gun turret after of the island on an Essex class in WW2 and shearing off its rear fuselage and wing. Whilst not readily apparent on the stand, Airfix did confirm that the options will include FAA versions.

The only let down was that they chose to announce at SMW 2018, when either an RAF or a WW1 item would have fitted the occasion better as Wingnut Wings did with their HP 0/400 on the Sunday after the 2 minutes silence !.

The FAA used Hellcats in Europe so not really inappropriate. And Airfix has to cater to the USA market as well, where most of the kits will be sold IMHO.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: AS.12 on November 14, 2018, 08:17:08 AM
Quote from: McColm on November 14, 2018, 07:08:15 AM
I would have thought that Airfix would have released one of the aircraft Prince Charles flew during his engagement with the RAF for his 70th birthday.

Now that's a cracking idea.  1:24 Chipmunk, perhaps?
It could be submitted as a Group Build for 2019 :banghead:

Rheged

Is there a possible group build here?  Any aircraft/car/ship piloted/driven/navigated by Prince Charles.   Chipmunk/Aston Martin/HMS Bonnington  or various others.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Do'n't be silly, who would be bothered?

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

Well the topic could be widened to encorporate the Royal family, any aircraft, ship, or vehicle that they have been connected with.

loupgarou

Quote from: McColm on November 15, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
Well the topic could be widened to encorporate the Royal family, any aircraft, ship, or vehicle that they have been connected with.

It would be an exclusively anglo-british GB, I fear.  <_<
I don't know if even members from downunder still have some interest/affection for things royal.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on November 15, 2018, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: McColm on November 15, 2018, 01:36:19 PM

It would be an exclusively anglo-british GB, I fear.  <_<
I don't know if even members from downunder still have some interest/affection for things royal.

This one doesn't, but there are possibilities.  A Paris underpass diorama for example...
:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

^^^^^^ That is full of win.  ;D :thumbsup:

A pox on the "royals", that said the old Boothill Express
hot rod would make an hilarious royal coach.  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Other, pro-Royalist, opinions are available of course...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Royal vehicles.... a short list!

Reliant Scimitar (Princess Anne had one, don't you know?)
Andrew's Bulldog, Gazelle, Sea King and Lynx.
London Taxi, Metrocab as driven by Duke of Edinburgh in town. He flew 59 types including a Herald (now in Berks Air Museum), a Harvard, Dragonfly, and a rare Druine Turbulent
Harry's Apache or the Squirrels and Griffin helos at Helicopter Flying School
Will's Sea King or the H145 Air Ambulance https://www.eaaa.org.uk/about-us/helicopters/ He also served on HMS Talent and HMS Iron Duke.

BAE 146 as crashed by Prince Charles, make a nice diorama  ;)  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/prince-gives-up-flying-royal-aircraft-after-hebrides-crash-1592247.html

Land Rovers - various open topped versions for driving past parades and crowds.
Range Rovers - as driven by Her Majesty around Balmoral (while wearing a hoodie!)
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/land-rover-queen-elizabeth/index.html

zenrat

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2018, 02:42:10 PM

London Taxi, Metrocab as driven by Duke of Edinburgh in town. He flew 59 types including a Herald (now in Berks Air Museum), a Harvard, Dragonfly, and a rare Druine Turbulent
Will's Sea King or the H145 Air Ambulance https://www.eaaa.org.uk/about-us/helicopters/ He also served on HMS Talent and HMS Iron Duke.

BAE 146 as crashed by Prince Charles, make a nice diorama  ;)  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/prince-gives-up-flying-royal-aircraft-after-hebrides-crash-1592247.html

Range Rovers - as driven by Her Majesty around Balmoral (while wearing a hoodie!)

And how would builds of these be Whiffs?
<_<

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2018, 08:02:28 PM
Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2018, 02:42:10 PM

And how would builds of these be Whiffs?
<_<

Simples, you put the markings/rego's/etc. of the actual aircraft/vehicles/ships/etc. onto something they didn't fly/drive/sail aboard! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AS.12

The Queen's Flight nearly had a Viscount until uk.gov forced them to Herons for 'economy', ironically more expensive in the long run as the Viscount was to have had tip-tanks for long-range missions which instead the RAF had to keep flying.

Air France had agreed to swap-out one of their delivery positions to get the airframe into service quickly, but it wasn't quick enough to beat the mandarins.

kitbasher

Mmm.  So maybe a 'King's/Queen's/Royal Flight' GB theme is a bit limited in scope, but a 'Heads of State' GB might not be?

King's Flight DC-4/Argonaut?
Queen's Flight Viscount (see discussion)?
Air Force One DC-8?
Republique Francais Comet 1?
Others?

Now back to the Airfix theme before we get told off!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

You could have the UK going the whole Airforce One route, and having a handful of VC-10s with lumps'n'bumps for the PM and the Royal Family. Might go well with a scenario where we had VC-10 Pofflers for the deterrent, the VIP VC-10s alert role being to provide a survivable national command authority.

Helicopters would be interesting. Prior to the Merlin, you'd be looking at the Lynx as the only big enough wholly British helo they could have used. Otherwise, it's UK-modified US types such as the Wessex and Sea King.

How about a Royal Flight Beverley or Argosy to carry their special state limo around? There are 1/144th kits of both and you can probably get a suitable car in railway N-scale to do an unloading diorama.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones