Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

To be fair on Airfix they've released new starter kits where the parts are reduced to a minimum, a Spitfire Vc, RedA Arrows Hawk, Sherman Firefly and Tiger I. They're clearly aimed at kids, but are a good antidote to the ever increasing parts count for anyone wanting a slammer build.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Less parts, more money.
The Spit starter set is £11.99.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 03, 2022, 05:18:08 AM
Less parts, more money.
The Spit starter set is £11.99.

But you get paint and glue, and neither of those are cheap nowadays. Some of the newer ones have a paint brush as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

And you get a fancy Spitfire shaped stand.  Worth the price hike alone!  :angel:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 03, 2022, 06:09:46 AM
And you get a fancy Spitfire shaped stand.  Worth the price hike alone!  :angel:

Didn't know that
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Some of those new starter sets are a more basic version of the usual kits, the Hawk one is for sure as I have one.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The Lightning F2A Starter is just the same as the original, bar a different decals sheet for only a single aircraft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Gondor on July 03, 2022, 06:55:55 AM
Some of those new starter sets are a more basic version of the usual kits, the Hawk one is for sure as I have one.

Gondor

The starter boxed Hawk, Spitfire Vc, Tiger and Sherman tanks, all are simplified kits.  All the other starter sets are the normal kits with different decals, paints and glue.

Teh starter set Lightning is currently the only one in the catalogue.  Hopefully at some point ye olde F3 may come out in the Classics range.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2022, 06:51:10 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 03, 2022, 06:09:46 AM

Didn't know that

Yes, and a Hawk shape stand in the Red Arrows set.

I've not seen them myself, but wonder how they'd look for a fast build?  There does seem to be a market for this away from the beginner, especially for wargamers with the tanks.

The Wooksta!

The Spitfire Vc is nice, just needs a bulkhead behind the seat.  Good as a cheap clothes horse got early Vc's
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 03, 2022, 03:04:31 PM
There does seem to be a market for this away from the beginner, especially for wargamers with the tanks.

Very much so Mossie, just look at the Plastic Soldier sets. 3 vehicles per boxing, ranging from £15 to £30 depending on type and scale. I've got a couple and they go together very quickly. The IBG 1/72 scale armour also has very simplified running gear and tracks, 2 or 3 parts at the most, but some of the other detail is tiny.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 03, 2022, 03:26:11 PM
The Spitfire Vc is nice, just needs a bulkhead behind the seat.  Good as a cheap clothes horse got early Vc's

It's a very nice kit, built a couple and still have one to go.

McColm

Is Airfix going to release the Boeing B-29 or re-release it later in the year? I saw some footage on their Instagram site of a RW one.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on July 12, 2022, 11:18:55 AM
Is Airfix going to release the Boeing B-29 or re-release it later in the year? I saw some footage on their Instagram site of a RW one.

Hopefully not the old one that was horrid, shudders at the very thought of it.

Now re-releasing the Academy version would not be too bad and a new tool kit, while admitidly a very nice idea is unlikely due to it being a very large American machine with only a limited market in the UK.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

A while back i got the Airfix Lancaster B.lll for $10nz ..was sold brand new with 2 left fusealge sides and no lower wings  :lol:
But i am impressed with how crisp the molding is ..very clean and i think it would have been a quite good build .
Last week i did take alook at a couple of Airfix 35th scale armour kits ..a Panzer IV and i think a Cromwell and again clean but a simple kit to build..not alot of parts and rubber band tracks..so good for a starter or a base kit  but with a $75nz price tag its not worth it.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Worthwhile claiming on Airfix for the missing Lanc bits? Worth a try anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit