Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 13, 2022, 02:39:16 AM

Last week i did take alook at a couple of Airfix 35th scale armour kits ..a Panzer IV and i think a Cromwell and again clean but a simple kit to build..not alot of parts and rubber band tracks..so good for a starter or a base kit  but with a $75nz price tag its not worth it.

Most of the Airfix 1/25 scale kits are Academy kits released in an Airfix box, the Cromwell and at least one other of the most recent ones are produced in association with Academy. There's a build of the close support version of the Cromwell in a recent IPMS (UK) magazine. Overall quite a good report, couple of niggles, but hardly anything to worry about. It comes with both rubber band and link and length tracks, and interestingly the builder goes with the rubber band. Says they are very good.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: Gondor on July 12, 2022, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: McColm on July 12, 2022, 11:18:55 AM
Is Airfix going to release the Boeing B-29 or re-release it later in the year? I saw some footage on their Instagram site of a RW one.

Hopefully not the old one that was horrid, shudders at the very thought of it.

Now re-releasing the Academy version would not be too bad and a new tool kit, while admitidly a very nice idea is unlikely due to it being a very large American machine with only a limited market in the UK.

Gondor

It's available again:
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=1821&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=B-29A&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Why would the one WITHOUT the extra bombs cost a lot more than the one WITH the bombs? :(

Sometimes this 'marketing' stuff just defeats me.................  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I'd guess that's the old price for the A-bombers & that the price will jump significantly when the stock arrives.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2022, 09:23:35 AM
Why would the one WITHOUT the extra bombs cost a lot more than the one WITH the bombs? :(

Mate ya right it makes no sence to me either..that Lanc kit has not bombs..sold separately ? ..its a bomber..it needs bombs and as for getting the parts from Airfix bud..ohh its a wee bit late for that now ..parts have been used  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2022, 05:36:48 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 13, 2022, 02:39:16 AM

Last week i did take alook at a couple of Airfix 35th scale armour kits ..a Panzer IV and i think a Cromwell and again clean but a simple kit to build..not alot of parts and rubber band tracks..so good for a starter or a base kit  but with a $75nz price tag its not worth it.

Most of the Airfix 1/25 scale kits are Academy kits released in an Airfix box, the Cromwell and at least one other of the most recent ones are produced in association with Academy. There's a build of the close support version of the Cromwell in a recent IPMS (UK) magazine. Overall quite a good report, couple of niggles, but hardly anything to worry about. It comes with both rubber band and link and length tracks, and interestingly the builder goes with the rubber band. Says they are very good.
Well thats not really a bad thing at all there Chris  ;D
Academy armour kits are pretty good and yup ivr had quite a few over the yrs and apart from some heavy detail there not bad and there rubber band tracks are soft and nice to work with ..so reboxing i have no issues with at all  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2022, 09:23:35 AM

[/quote
If I recall, the kit with the nuclear bombs omits both the full bomb load of The other kit along with the gun turret parts and, the multi option ,(5) decal sheet.
Whether or not that justifies the price difference is another story.]
I'd have no objection if Airfix reissued the 1967 original as a Vintage Classic but,given their current pricing, it .would probably cost as much as the reissued and, superior Academy kit. I certainly thought they were having a laugh at our expense with the near £100 price tag for 1974 vintage 1/24 Harrier.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

kitnut617

I had one of those 1/24 GR.1's way back in the 70's, I should have brought it with me to Canada but I didn't think it would survive the move ---
But if you look at the new Spitfire Mk.IX, it's only a couple of quid less than the Harrier. And you get a lot of kit in the Harrier ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Wardukw

Robert i used have the 24th GR1 aswell why back when and i do remember i did a terrible job building it.  ;D
Ive been racking the brain and for the life of me i cant remember what happened to it as the only thing i have left is one of the twin rocket launchers with its mount and your dead right mate..its alot of kit and i do wonder how good i could build it now.

kitnut617

I gave it to my wife's brother and he kept it for ages he told me later. I remember I didn't like how the front u/c leg worked, whenever it was stood on it's wheels the nose leg would collapse and then it wouldn't sit on all it's wheels properly. So I put a bit of propelling pen spring between the trailing arm and the shock body, worked quite well after that.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Wardukw

Yeah i do remember i had problems with the tires not fitting properly and sink marks in the side walls for the front tire and for some reason it never sat right ..always at a angle even thou it looked square .
It did have fit issues all over the place but that was probably more me than the model or it was both as i was quite young then but man it was one hell of birthday pressie  ;D
The temptation is still there to build another one but the lack of space where i live now means nope.its too big and so now will be the price tag .

Scotaidh

I had that Harrier - the 1/24 GR1.  I loved it - I attached every bit of ordnance I could fit - three bombs, and the dual SNEB launchers on each side ... It probably wouldn't have made it into the air with all that on, but I liked the look.  :)

I've always been a huge fan of the Harrier, although not the Americanized bomb-truck it became, with the bug-eye canopy and all the other half-measures.  If it'd been left to me, the cockpit would have kept it's low, streamlined position and we'd have kept both gun-pods.  The larger wing I'd have - might have made it even bigger, as supersonic flight wasn't wanted nor needed, so don't even play that tune - as well as the zero-scarf forward nozzles.  Engine development would continue apace, and with more power comes more options ... Anyway.   :wub:

I currently have the 1/24 GR Mk III with the snout - my favourite version of that beautiful aircraft.  I hope to someday build that, although display space might be an issue - I've got several large models currently taking up most of my available real estate.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Dude i am liking your upgrade ideas ..a sleak looking bird with longer wings will make Kit happy too  ;D
I do like the Harrier II and the bubble canopy gave a pilot a much better view but your plane works prefectly for your ideas so they can both work together  :thumbsup:
For me at least the longer wings and relocated out riggers made the plane look even better ..but longer wings again  :wacko:
Thats the biggest issue with this model ..its size ..shes a biggin all right and your second one is even bigger ..well longer so its worse but we're model builders matey and wheres theres a idea ..theres a way to make it happen .
I do have that problem right now with the Python..ive no idea where the hell im going to put it and ive now for 2 more ideas ..both aircraft and near are that small  ;D

Mossie

I've still got the 1/24 Harrier GR.1.  I was around 14 and just getting into modelling more seriously. My Dad knew someone who worked at Humbrol so I got a bunch of kits for Christmas.  My Dad payed factory rates for them and it was the beginning of The Stash. Before that I'd always made them as I bought them.

Still trying to work up the nerve to build it, I always told myself I'd do it when I had the skills to do a proper job of it!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie