Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on August 06, 2022, 01:19:55 PM
I was reading a Brit modeller thread and they mentioned the schemes are all later due to some noise reduction bumps added in front of the intake that weren't there on early machines.  So all the kit RN schemes are grey, but it's a simple case of sanding it flush to backdate it to a grey over white scheme.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104530-airfix-148-buccaneer-s2-for-2022/page/15/

There is also the option of makeing it a South African machine or an RAF one, just a case of some modification to make the model depict the correct airframe as required. Of course there is also the option to whiff it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 06, 2022, 11:58:00 AM
Well you could build it with a grey camo scheme, or a grey camo scheme or another grey camo scheme but then again you could do it grey camo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not alot of imagination there it would seem  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 05, 2022, 09:42:31 AM
Just a little update on my post yesterday about ordering the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer...as we all know it's not a cheap kit and I have definite plans for two of them...one RW RN and one Whif. 

So I figured in for a penny in for a pound and ordered four of the beasts.  Estimates for it hitting the US shelves seem to be Octoberish timeframe so I figured if I order four I might be able to capitalize on a little eBay madness and recoup some of the cost by reselling two of them at a reasonable premium.  Plus it got me free shipping. 

Which brings me to the point of the update.  Just got a text notification that they will be delivered on Tuesday.  For kits ordered yesterday that gives a total transit time of FIVE DAYS from the UK.  Very impressed with the speed of Airfix's service and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

A little update on this order from Airfix.  I thought five days was a bit optimistic for shipping from the UK.  Turns out it's not five.  They arrived TODAY, four days after order placed.  Well done Airfix! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Lucky you dont live here in NZ where it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get a package from Australia .
Hell it took a week to get a parcel from Wellington..thats at the end of the same island i live on.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kitnut617

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 08, 2022, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 05, 2022, 09:42:31 AM
Just a little update on my post yesterday about ordering the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer...as we all know it's not a cheap kit and I have definite plans for two of them...one RW RN and one Whif. 

So I figured in for a penny in for a pound and ordered four of the beasts.  Estimates for it hitting the US shelves seem to be Octoberish timeframe so I figured if I order four I might be able to capitalize on a little eBay madness and recoup some of the cost by reselling two of them at a reasonable premium.  Plus it got me free shipping. 

Which brings me to the point of the update.  Just got a text notification that they will be delivered on Tuesday.  For kits ordered yesterday that gives a total transit time of FIVE DAYS from the UK.  Very impressed with the speed of Airfix's service and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

A little update on this order from Airfix.  I thought five days was a bit optimistic for shipping from the UK.  Turns out it's not five.  They arrived TODAY, four days after order placed.  Well done Airfix!

Did it come by courier Nick ?, I had a package come from way down south in the US arrive next day, I did think the postage was a bit steep when I placed my order. That was until I got a notice from UPS asking for a 'physical' address to deliver it too, they don't usually deliver to acreages ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ysi_maniac

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 01, 2022, 04:06:55 AM
Has Airfix new-tooled any 1/72 buccaneer?

... and Canberra has been new-tooled?
Will die without understanding this world.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2022, 06:46:13 AM

Did it come by courier Nick ?, I had a package come from way down south in the US arrive next day, I did think the postage was a bit steep when I placed my order. That was until I got a notice from UPS asking for a 'physical' address to deliver it too, they don't usually deliver to acreages ---

Free shipping via DHL.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 09, 2022, 09:14:37 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2022, 06:46:13 AM

Free shipping via DHL.

Ah! that's why you got it so quick --  ;) ;) ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Steel Penguin

look very nice, and i can see the aftermarket folks doing a stand out job on the wheels.

I ask out of curiosity, why 1:43 ?   is it a standard, and if it is from when?   and if not why not 1:48?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

1/43 has been a model car scale for many years, most of the high accuracy resin kits have been done in that scale. It's the same as British 0 Gauge model railways too.

But the market would have been much larger if they'd have done it in 1/32, and they could have shunted the CAD drawings of the outer skin over to their Scalextric brand and made a superb slot racer out of it too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

ahhh , i see, hopefully they will, as well.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Mossie

Airfix have done some 1/43 kits in the past, but this is a starter kit and aimed at the beginner market.  They've also announced a Bugatti Chiron and a Pagani Huyara in the same scale.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Heller did quite a few 1/43 cars kits as well, even some F1 cars,  and very good they were too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Steel Penguin on September 02, 2022, 11:31:23 AMlook very nice, and i can see the aftermarket folks doing a stand out job on the wheels.

I ask out of curiosity, why 1:43 ?  is it a standard, and if it is from when?  and if not why not 1:48?
Do a search on 1:43rd over on Grand Prix Models and it'll return 13,079 items and that's excluding
accessories, decals etc.

https://www.grandprixmodels.com/Search.aspx?selected=PT010,PT004,PT018,PT005,SC014,&keywords=1:43&order=orderByName&stock=showALL