Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

1/35 Forward Control Land Rover.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on March 01, 2023, 12:33:53 AMNow we have the Boeing P-8A Posideon but nothing in 1/72 scale or the E-7 Wedgetail at an affordable price.

Perhaps because they'd be BIG in 1/72, and therefore expensive?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 01, 2023, 03:36:45 AM
Quote from: jcf on February 28, 2023, 03:54:37 PMA 1/72nd Scimitar might be a possibility, 1/48th is doubtful due to costs associated with design and
development of a kit in that scale.

Several things work against it as a viable subject:
It was built in small numbers; only in mainline operation with one service, the RN, and only for just
over 8 years. It's an interesting aircraft, I have the 1/48th Dynavector vac, but it's pretty obscure
for the average person.

I have included the Scimitar in my short list:
Blackburn Roc
Avro Lancastrian
Avro Lincoln
Supermarine Scimitar
BAC 221
VC-10
DH Sea Vixen
Airfix did do the VC 10 in 1/144 scale

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2023, 04:01:45 AM
Quote from: McColm on March 01, 2023, 12:33:53 AMNow we have the Boeing P-8A Posideon but nothing in 1/72 scale or the E-7 Wedgetail at an affordable price.

Perhaps because they'd be BIG in 1/72, and therefore expensive?

So are the V-bombers. But I see your point.

Still, nagging could do something. You never know..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitbasher

1/72 P-8 length 21.6 inches, span 20.6 inches, height 7 inches.

1/72 Nimrod MR.1/MR.2 length 21.125 inches, span 19.17 inches, height 5.17 inches.

1/72 Victor B.2 length 19.17 inches, span  18.3 inches, height 4.7 inches

1/72 Shackleton length 14.55 inches, span 20 inches, height 2.9 inches.

So a 1/72 Lincoln wouldn't be too huge a kit, but would it sell?

A 1/72 P-8 would be a fraction bigger  than the Airfix Nimrod but rather larger than their Victor (exemplar V bomber) but could be a good but expensive seller.

I like the idea from whoever it was regarding a Lockheed Neptune.  Some careful design could facilitate numerous marks and colour schemes - should be a good seller and not as pricey as a P-8.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 28, 2023, 11:31:22 AMI fervently wish that people in these threads would understand and accept that Airfix are a business that exists to make a profit.

Exactly Lee. As I've said before, watch the Hornby documentary/fly on the wall series on the Yesterday channel and it gives you a really good insight into what, why and how things are done. Mainly focuses on the railways side, but still fascinating. Plus some celebrities you'd never expect to see keep popping up.

I should have added that Hornby, Airfix's parent company, have mad a loss for a fair few consecutive quarters. It's getting smaller but someone is still carrying them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

A Lincoln would probably sell, maybe enough to turn a small profit if not break even. It's got enough schemes and foreign users to cater for at least two boxings. If they added the nose and tail for the Lincolnian, then perhaps a few more sales?

Supposedly one of the Airfix design team wanted to do it, but the rest wanted the Vulcan, so that's what we got.

In an ideal world, I'd like a Tudor II fuselage to go with it, but exceedingly limited sales prospects and thus one or the Airfix circular file.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Old Wombat

Doesn't mean one can't ask.

It just means that it's highly unlikely to be kitted, unless a very large number of people also put it in their wish list &, possibly, even unlikely then.

Which is fair enough, when taken from a business perspective.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

Quote from: kitbasher on March 01, 2023, 05:32:20 AM1/72 P-8 length 21.6 inches, span 20.6 inches, height 7 inches.

1/72 Nimrod MR.1/MR.2 length 21.125 inches, span 19.17 inches, height 5.17 inches.

A 1/72 P-8 would be a fraction bigger  than the Airfix Nimrod but rather larger than their Victor (exemplar V bomber) but could be a good but expensive seller.

I like the idea from whoever it was regarding a Lockheed Neptune.  Some careful design could facilitate numerous marks and colour schemes - should be a good seller and not as pricey as a P-8.
Well Airfix/Heller did/do the Lockheed Constellation and SuperG, it's doubtful that the Starliner will ever be captured in plastic so going large is possible as the Constellation is still a very popular model to make.
That remark about the Lockheed Neptune was my recommendation.

The Wooksta!

There's literally no point in asking because it'll just get binned. I suspect that seeing some of the more ridiculous requests asked for by idiots wanting the moon on the stick would be enough to shut these things down sharpish.
They want sensible, marketable, saleable ideas, not niche subjects that would sell barely enough to count on Abu Hamza's fingers.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

McColm

If Hornby can produce the TT:120 gauge then there must be a suitable scale In-between 1/72 and 1/144  to model in. 1/96 or 1/100 would fit the larger aircraft.
Or just stick to supplying a model for each of the aircraft in the British aircraft museums. Although Duxford might be a bit ambitious in 1/72 scale!

The Wooksta!

Quote from: McColm on March 01, 2023, 06:40:11 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 01, 2023, 05:32:20 AM1/72 P-8 length 21.6 inches, span 20.6 inches, height 7 inches.

Well Airfix/Heller did/do the Lockheed Constellation and SuperG, it's doubtful that the Starliner will ever be captured in plastic so going large is possible as the Constellation is still a very popular model to make.

Yes, they did tool it. In the 19 fecking 70s. For a very different market by a completely different company - how many owners have Heller had since then?

Big kits sell, yes, but in limited numbers. How many Nimrods did Airfix have to sell at kamikazed prices? 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Beermonster58

Quote from: jcf on March 01, 2023, 12:16:49 AMI guess reading comprehension is still a challenge for some folks.  :rolleyes:

I stated that a 1/72nd scale kit is a possibility, the doubts I expressed were about a 1/48th scale kit.

As to the Airfix Swift, well it's 1/72nd innit?

I don't think there is any problem with reading comprehension  and, your doubts about a 1/48 kit are perhaps unfounded. As I mentioned previously, a company called D B Model Kits is working on a 1/48 Scimitar due for release October 2023. Clearly they have no doubts.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

McColm

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 01, 2023, 06:47:26 AM
Quote from: McColm on March 01, 2023, 06:40:11 AM

Yes, they did tool it. In the 19 fecking 70s. For a very different market by a completely different company - how many owners have Heller had since then?

Big kits sell, yes, but in limited numbers. How many Nimrods did Airfix have to sell at kamikazed prices? 

The Airfix Nimrod kit does have a few defects such as the nose profile,  main landing lights being in the wrong place and the lack of details in the weapons bay plus cockpit area. I know that you can't see a lot through the glazing but you know it's there.
No I don't have a clue to how many owners Heller have had but I am glad that they are back.

kitbasher

So, back to the Neptune idea.

There's only ever been the 1972 Hasegawa kit, rereleased by them on many occasions (most recently 2019). Boxed also by FROG and Revell.  Lots of aftermarket stuff, loads of marking options.

So why not a carefully-tooled Neptune to allow multiple marks and multiple marking options to be marketed?

If 1/24 'superkits' can sell.....
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter