Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I'm just glad the nose got fixed from the first concept.  That was a face only a mother could love.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Beermonster58

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 21, 2023, 10:43:11 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 21, 2023, 10:07:32 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 17, 2023, 08:20:38 AMOnce the shape gets nailed down a bit more I'd love to see a Tempest (the new one). 

I rather suspect that it will remain a "what if " regardless of whether or not the shape gets nailed down.

If you read the latest news on it I think it's becoming more and more likely.  The formal agreement with Japan on development makes it both more affordable and politically harder to abandon.   A lot of future UK industrial base and jobs will be based on it too. For once I'm optimistic.  Obviously all can change in a heartbeat but I'd bet we see a prototype at Farnborough sooner than later. 

Sir Sidney Camm (I think) once stated that "All aircraft projects have four dimensions ; length, height, wingspan and politics!" I have my own opinions on this project but, as they would breach the "no politics" rule, all I will say is that I will believe it when I see it.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 21, 2023, 11:45:08 PMSir Sidney Camm (I think) once stated that "All aircraft projects have four dimensions ; length, height, wingspan and politics!" I have my own opinions on this project but, as they would breach the "no politics" rule, all I will say is that I will believe it when I see it.

With my Moderator's hat on, thankyou sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on March 21, 2023, 08:16:44 AMDo you think that Airfix will produce a better Ford Tri-Motor kit, either re-released with new glazing or a new mould?

Highly unlikely you'll see a new tool, but there's a reasonable chance they'll release it in the Vintage Classics range I suppose and haven't some of those had new transparencies ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Actually I think it was Sir George Edwards of BAC who said that bit about dimensions and politics.

It was in reference to the TSR2 and he added 'The TSR2 just got the first three right.'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 22, 2023, 01:02:47 AMActually I think it was Sir George Edwards of BAC who said that bit about dimensions and politics.

It was in reference to the TSR2 and he added 'The TSR2 just got the first three right.'
I'm happy to stand corrected. :thumbsup:

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 22, 2023, 12:53:09 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on March 21, 2023, 11:45:08 PMSir Sidney Camm (I think) once stated that "All aircraft projects have four dimensions ; length, height, wingspan and politics!" I have my own opinions on this project but, as they would breach the "no politics" rule, all I will say is that I will believe it when I see it.

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 22, 2023, 12:53:09 AM

With my Moderator's hat on, thankyou sir  :thumbsup:

You're very welcome sir! :thumbsup:  <_<

AeroplaneDriver

Anyone tackled the Anson yet?

My "local" (an hour away) had one in stock yesterday and I was tempted.  Probably going back next week and might pick it up as price was surprisingly reasonable, but looking for first hand accounts first. 

Gondor

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 22, 2023, 11:03:32 AMAnyone tackled the Anson yet?

My "local" (an hour away) had one in stock yesterday and I was tempted.  Probably going back next week and might pick it up as price was surprisingly reasonable, but looking for first hand accounts first. 

Not yet but it is in my stash and looks really nice. There are builds on Britmodeller of it so perhaps looking at them may sway your mind?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on March 22, 2023, 11:03:32 AMAnyone tackled the Anson yet?

I to have it in the stash and it looks really nice. I've read a couple of build reports and they are positive. Looks to be a typical new tool Airfix kit. Modular construction steps with some innovative approaches in places.

The December Airfix Magazine had a full build, just re-read it and is very complimentary

Beermonster58

Quote from: Mossie on March 18, 2023, 07:24:04 AM
Quote from: Gondor on March 17, 2023, 09:07:52 AMTry THIS

Gondor

I'd prefer styrene, I've developed a slight aversion to resin kits although I should probably get over it.
I have a TOTAL aversion to resin kits!! ;D . I don't think I will EVER get over it.

The Wooksta!

You simply haven't tried a good one yet.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on March 24, 2023, 09:05:10 AMWorkbench on the F-35B starter kit:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-f-35b-lightning-ii-ready-airfix-service

I have a Hasegawa A version in my stash that will have a set of RAF marking applied to it rather than building a B version.
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Mossie on March 24, 2023, 09:05:10 AMWorkbench on the F-35B starter kit:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-f-35b-lightning-ii-ready-airfix-service

From those pics it looks like the RAM panels may just be represented with panel lines and not raised areas at all.  This would be a nice change from the massively over exaggerated panels most manufacturers depict.