Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: Mossie on September 07, 2023, 12:29:05 PMI agree, that's a deal killer if you're likely to get something you don't want.  There is the possibility however of selling those kits under the going rate but still making a profit, which in turn increases your saving.
That's one if those little circles Mossie.
Your ideas are sound for certain and would work beautifully in other countries but here tho..I doubt it..why ?..that's simple..there's to damn many here already.
If ya went onto our primary auction site here you'd find a ton of Airfix armour kits already ..prices all over the place but all expensive.
Still tho there is a part of me which is very curious and is easily swayed by temptation 🙃 😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

I think the situation is the same here too.  Airfix are selling a lot of the range off in their outlet and quite a lot of folks are selling them cheaply on eBay, probably due to the bundles.

I've even been tempted.  I've always modelled armour in 1/72 & 1/76, but 1/35 is starting to intrigue me.  I wondered about getting one of these bundles to start a stash going.

Instead, I might go for something small & simple like the new Ferret.  The Ferret will be similar in size to some of the WWI tanks I've built while being more detailed.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

One thing I thought was strange was at how cheap Airfix is selling those bundles for...it's like their dumping stock cause their either getting new models in or their just not selling.

If that Ferret is as detailed as the real thing then  your in for some fun with its drive train for certain.the interior also has quite alot of stuff inside suchasmallspace...it's probably been simplified cause it's a technical set up but being a very modern kit it should go together with out any real problems.

I would definitely look at 35th over 72 or 76th ..it's just much easier to work with if your not that experienced  .
Also another scale for armour is 48th...they can be quite detailed but they can be bloody expensive to for their size and not a huge selection to choose from.
One of the real benefits with 35th is you can go as easy or as complicated as you want 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

48th is the perfect scale for armour IMO.  Big enough to get decent detail but easy to display.

The range of affordable kits is increasing and I have noticed that Miniart have started producing diorama bits and pieces which I take as an indication that it has increasing in popularity enough to make it worthwhile for them to do so.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on September 07, 2023, 12:38:07 PMSome of the newer Airfix armor kits are reboxed ICM, Miniart or Thunder models kits. The Airfix price is often less than the original boxing (at least in the US), possibly due to the importer. Revell Germany does this as well.

Yup I think a lot of their initial releases in 1/35 were re-pops of others moulds.

Must admit I've been tempted by the Cromwell, which is also a reasonable price compared to some of the German types, which are in the main re-pops.  I can't quite figure out the basis of the pricing for their 1/35 range.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Would've been nice of them to do markings for not-RN users, such as the RAN, Deutsche Marine or Tentara Nasional Indonesia Angkatan Laut.

I wish they'd hurry up & get it out, I need one to do as a RW example for my RAN Museum display (which I haven't started, yet).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

Their core market is the UK and undoubtedly the aftermarket people will do decals.

Mind, it's to their undying shame that they didn't honour their core market in 2018 and do an RAF biggie in 24th, to celebrate the RAF centenary.  What did the core market get? A Hellcat.  Non British and not RAF. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 08, 2023, 08:47:58 AMMind, it's to their undying shame that they didn't honour their core market in 2018 and do an RAF biggie in 24th, to celebrate the RAF centenary.  What did the core market get? A Hellcat.  Non British and not RAF. 

That was just SO silly! A triumph of ignorant marketing over careful thought.  :banghead:

You could almost hear the gaps of amazement at Telford when they displayed it. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

What are you guys on about?? A Hellcat is as British as fish and chips ..oh no wait.  That's burgers and fries..yeah I know where the door is 😒😬

jcf

Yeah, they should've done a 1/24th scale RFC R.A.F. B.E.2c.
:wacko:

Wardukw

Quote from: jcf on September 08, 2023, 08:34:10 PMYeah, they should've done a 1/24th scale RFC R.A.F. B.E.2c.
Oh now I'd build that for sure 😉 😄

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jcf on September 08, 2023, 08:34:10 PMYeah, they should've done a 1/24th scale RFC R.A.F. B.E.2c.

And why not?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 08, 2023, 08:47:58 AMTheir core market is the UK and undoubtedly the aftermarket people will do decals.

Mind, it's to their undying shame that they didn't honour their core market in 2018 and do an RAF biggie in 24th, to celebrate the RAF centenary.  What did the core market get? A Hellcat.  Non British and not RAF. 
And, a very loud MEH! from me!.
I'm now whiffing my own iteration of the Avro Manchester, secure in the knowledge that, as soon as I finish it, Airfix will announce a kit for the 2024 release programme! 🙄🤪
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 09, 2023, 11:14:48 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 08, 2023, 08:47:58 AMTheir core market is the UK and undoubtedly the aftermarket people will do decals.

And, a very loud MEH! from me!.
I'm now whiffing my own iteration of the Avro Manchester, secure in the knowledge that, as soon as I finish it, Airfix will announce a kit for the 2024 release programme! 🙄🤪

We appreciate your efforts and willingness to 'take one for the team'...  :thumbsup:  ;)