Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2023, 07:10:51 AMHawker Typhoon in 1/48

The "proper" one or the jet one ?  ;)

A 1/48 Hawker Typhoon would go nicely with the Eduard Tempests
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

On their present form I'd say it's bound to be in 1/48 scale. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Well, going by recent form, there will be ;

Another huge price hike (which I freely accept is not unique to Airfix)
Another bloody Spitfire
1/72 ignored again
A massively overhyped build up to a complete non event (like the 2023 programme)
Another succession of reissues I don't want because  I already purchased the original at much lower price. 
The long awaited announcement of the 2165 part, multi option  1/79 scale Scruggs Wundaplane
(Cynical mode OFF! ;)  ;D )

Joking apart, I don't expect anything of interest other than perhaps one or two welcome additions to the Vintage Classic range. Other than the afore mentioned Vintage Classics,  Because of the (personal view only) rather uninteresting subject choices, I've purchased very few Airfix kits over the last three years and, none of the new tooled items. To be honest, I think the brand is losing its lustre .

I could of course be completely wrong and will  be toasting  the the arrival of the 1/72 Avro Manchester and, Avro Lincoln.! ;D (Fantasy/Dream mode OFF!)
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Gondor

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 20, 2023, 05:59:10 PMI could of course be completely wrong and will  be toasting  the the arrival of the 1/72 Avro Manchester and, Avro Lincoln.! ;D (Fantasy/Dream mode OFF!)

To an extent I am supprised why no one has actually designed a Lancaster kit that with the change of a couple of sprues will produce either a Manchester of Lincoln kit.

Just takes careful planning and some thought.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 20, 2023, 05:59:10 PMI've purchased very few Airfix kits over the last three years and, none of the new tooled items. To be honest, I think the brand is losing its lustre .

I could of course be completely wrong and will  be toasting  the the arrival of the 1/72 Avro Manchester and, Avro Lincoln.! ;D (Fantasy/Dream mode OFF!)

I have purchased a few of the new tool Airfix offerings, in both my scale (1/48) & mini-scale (1/72), & have actually built a few of them & can say that they are very good kits, well engineered, with pretty-much Tamiya-level buildability, & not an excessive number of parts (enough to be able to produce more detailed kits without going overboard).

Quote from: Gondor on September 21, 2023, 01:34:57 AMTo an extent I am supprised why no one has actually designed a Lancaster kit that with the change of a couple of sprues will produce either a Manchester of Lincoln kit.

Just takes careful planning and some thought.

It would take more than just changing a few sprues. There are quite a few differences between the Manchester & the Lancaster, it's not just a matter of different engines & dorsal turrets.

The Lancaster is 8" shorter than the Manchester, stands a foot higher & has a wingspan 12' 1" wider, the wings are also shorter in chord (but maintain the same NACA number) with significantly different aileron & flap structures, &, depending on which version of the Manchester you're kitting, the tail sections are markedly different.

I studied both aircraft considerably when researching for what became my Avro Winchester build & was surprised at how different the two were, considering how similar they look.

The Lincoln is not something I feel qualified to comment on.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

The previously announced Crude Old Repop Vintage Classic Rotodyne has yet to make its appearance.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2023, 03:55:42 AMThe previously announced Crude Old Repop Vintage Classic Rotodyne has yet to make its appearance.

They've probably all been shipped in a MASSIVE container down to Oz, in anticipation of the probably demand......................  ;)  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2023, 05:34:25 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2023, 03:55:42 AMThe previously announced Crude Old Repop Vintage Classic Rotodyne has yet to make its appearance.

They've probably all been shipped in a MASSIVE container down to Oz, in anticipation of the probably demand......................  ;)  ;D

Which prompted got washed overboard of said container ship by a rogue wave of South Africa. :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 20, 2023, 05:58:03 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 19, 2023, 10:23:13 PM
Quote from: jcf on September 19, 2023, 11:10:46 AMAll politicians are principled, it's just that principles vary.  ;D ;)

Is that a euphemism for 'Prices'? :-X ;D

Yeah, Hat-Coat-Book...  :rolleyes:

Indeed.....tut,tut

Yeah - I was having a moment/day... sorry Chris, Pellson et al.  :-\

Not sure what I would want from Airfix, but then my existing stash will likely outlast me, especially at the rate I build.  :banghead:

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on September 21, 2023, 05:38:46 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2023, 05:34:25 AM

Which prompted got washed overboard of said container ship by a rogue wave of South Africa. :wacko:

S'Ok, i only want two, or maybe three.  Depends on how my wallet is feeling.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2023, 04:05:20 AMS'Ok, i only want two, or maybe three.  Depends on how my wallet is feeling.

I said that about the KP Tempest II but now I've worked out how to build it without going mad in the process I have at least another 3 or 4 ideas and that doesn't include the real world one I want to build. Although that may see the light of day via the Eduard 1/48 kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Big hoo ha on Facebook about the cocked up pylons in the Black Buck Vulcan release.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 22, 2023, 06:09:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2023, 04:05:20 AMS'Ok, i only want two, or maybe three.  Depends on how my wallet is feeling.

I said that about the KP Tempest II but now I've worked out how to build it without going mad in the process I have at least another 3 or 4 ideas and that doesn't include the real world one I want to build. Although that may see the light of day via the Eduard 1/48 kit.

One of the city Hobby Shops are taking pre-orders on their website.  I've ordered two to be going on with.
Fred

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 22, 2023, 07:36:14 AMBig hoo ha on Facebook about the cocked up pylons in the Black Buck Vulcan release.
It is a pretty hilarious cockup. ;D

Pellson

Quote from: jcf on September 23, 2023, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 22, 2023, 07:36:14 AMBig hoo ha on Facebook about the cocked up pylons in the Black Buck Vulcan release.
It is a pretty hilarious cockup. ;D

Not having seen the fuss on The SuckBook, nor heard anything about those pylons - what has happened?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!