Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Quote from: Gondor on September 24, 2023, 12:25:12 PMThe picture was posted by Chris A Payne so if there is a copyright issue at least I have credited my source.

Gondor

I doubt Chris would mind to much. He is a member here, and pops in from time to time.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Martin H on September 24, 2023, 01:11:38 PM
Quote from: Gondor on September 24, 2023, 12:25:12 PMThe picture was posted by Chris A Payne so if there is a copyright issue at least I have credited my source.

Gondor

I doubt Chris would mind to much. He is a member here, and pops in from time to time.

I have found that I already had a copy of that picture quoted as being by Mel James and reversed to what I recently posted  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

So what's the giant pylon for if the ECM pod is hung right up close to the wing?????
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2023, 01:54:17 PMSo what's the giant pylon for if the ECM pod is hung right up close to the wing?????

Gear door?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

The big slab is a result of them not paying attention and thinking that the undercarriage
bay door was part of the pylon. Which was
based on misinterpreting the photo of the guy
working on the pod. Evidently somebody didn't
grasp that pod was not yet mounted on the
aircraft. 

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2023, 01:54:17 PMSo what's the giant pylon for if the ECM pod is hung right up close to the wing?????

It isn't a pylon at all, it's the gear door. In ONE picture, which must have been the one that Airfix looked at, it happens to be lined up in such a way that you could take it as a giant pylon at a casual glance, but looking at the picture for more than a minute makes it totally clear that it's just an optical illusion.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on September 24, 2023, 04:07:58 PMIt isn't a pylon at all, it's the gear door. In ONE picture, which must have been the one that Airfix looked at, it happens to be lined up in such a way that you could take it as a giant pylon at a casual glance, but looking at the picture for more than a minute makes it totally clear that it's just an optical illusion.

The problem with that statement is that the majority of us are aircraft nuts, and someone will say with an emphasis on nuts, so we know a lot about aircraft. The young person who did the CAD work for the kit probably is not as knowledgeable as the rest of us so will not see the problem.
I have always remembered from the late 70's early 80's, an article in a magazine about how to take pictures of aircraft. One of the tips was to make sure there was nothing behind or in front of the aircraft that could make it look as if the subject had an extra fin or aerial, or for that matter a lamp stand. Knowing that, I can look at a picture and try to work out such problems mostly.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

I did look at it for more than a minute, but I was trying to work out how the brackets on the ECM pod seemed to be attached to the 'Pylon', and that tends to blind you to the fact that it ISN'T a pylon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: Gondor on September 24, 2023, 12:25:12 PMWhen looking at "The Unofficial Airfix Modellers Forum Official Facebook Page" I saw this picture which I have shamelessly borrowed

This shows that Airfix did next to no research other than to look at one picture  :banghead:

The picture was posted by Chris A Payne so if there is a copyright issue at least I have credited my source.

Gondor
Oh, I don't know. Is it not equally likely that, if Airfix HAD  used your photo( as opposed to the one they actually used) that we would now be berating them for the appalling lack of research that resulted in them producing an  ECM pod that had  a large "extension" hanging down underneath it? ;)  ;D
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Gondor

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 25, 2023, 10:34:30 PMOh, I don't know. Is it not equally likely that, if Airfix HAD  used your photo( as opposed to the one they actually used) that we would now be berating them for the appalling lack of research that resulted in them producing an  ECM pod that had  a large "extension" hanging down underneath it? ;)  ;D

They should have used this photo instead.

As you can see from the picture, they sort of got the pylon for the ECM pod, at least the bit fitted to the airframe  :rolleyes:

The Shrike pylons from the earlier version look like this

Though these are wrong because they have a cut out towards the rear of both pylons so that they would fit over "lumps" on the underside of the wings. These "lumps" are actually the rear mounting points for the Skybolt Missile Pylons and what the rear of the Black Buck pylons are fitted to. Airfix would have had you fit their pylons too far back along the wings.

Gondor

rickshaw

Over at Britmodeller they have been having their usual jibes at Airfix.  They even published how to correct the pylon.

Just remove the red marked plastic. :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

I know the AN/ALQ-101 doesn't have a lot of lumps, bumps, and texture, but you'd think Airfix could have made it look less like a piece of sprue.  :unsure:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Britmodellers - too lazy to take sprues out of a bag.

Surely the CAD person would have asked for more than just one photo.
After all Airfix are keen on accuracy - remember, "no more new moulds without a LIDAR scan or blueprints to work from".
Reliance on a LIDAR scan being the reason the Mozzie has its errors.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2023, 05:38:40 AMReliance on a LIDAR scan being the reason the Mozzie has its errors.

Next weeks Hornby tv show includes the design process of the Mossie. Should be interesting.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2023, 05:38:40 AMBritmodellers - too lazy to take sprues out of a bag.

That's because they're too busy  bitching, whinging, counting rivets and, generally doing non modelling things to do mundane tasks like removing a kit from it's bag.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!