Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2023, 02:36:28 PMYes, they did just that the yearn after, batting down the runway quite a bit higher with the deck stuffed with Marines I think.

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Beermonster58 on September 28, 2023, 02:04:35 AMI don't think Airfix always get it wrong with add ons. The set for the Valiant PR / B(K).1 was rather nice All I need is a Valiant to go with it! As for the afore mentioned Mosquito? Well, I don't know what the alleged  issues were as, I'm no expert on the type. However, I thought it was a well detailed, if slightly over engineered kit which cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Mosquito.  I have two of them and, hope Airfix will now produce an F/FB variant(s) which I will happily buy.

Go straight to the Tamiya FB.VI.  Over twenty years old, price has never increased whilst the fit and detail are exceptional.  Better than the Airfix B.16.

The B16s converted to TT spec were the monstrosities for the Navy, the TT.39.  The RAF TTs were all converted B.35s, essentially a 16 but with different Merlins.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Since we're dunking on Airfix add-ons, anyone remember the post-Falkland mods they put out for their County class destroyer kit and their Type 21 frigate? The Exocet boxes were so under-scale for 1/600th that they actually work for 1/700th ships, and there was zero attempt to model either the plinths they were mounted on (which are quite elaborate) or the armour shields either side of them (a flat blank on the side of the box would have been okay, given the scale).

There were a bunch of other issues with those kits, both as-moulded and as-reissued:

County class: the re-issue was supposed to be HMS Glamorgan IIRC, but the original kit was of HMS Devonshire. The problem is that Counties came in two "batches" (they didn't use that nomenclature at the time, but that's what it amounted to), and Devonshire was a "Batch 1" and Glamorgan was a "Batch 2". That meant the radars were very conspicuously wrong and the position and shaper of the masts was wrong. The Seaslug SAM launcher was always a horrible not-even-trying attempt as originally tooled.

Type 21: the original HMS Amazon model was based on a Vosper display model produced before any actual ships had been built and so has many, many glaring discrepancies. Briefly, the radar and it's platform is wrong, the boats and all the detail amidships are wrong, there are no chaff launchers for either of the alternate positions where they were fitted, the top of the Olympus air intake structure is wrong, there's a missing walkway down the side of the intakes, the Tyne intakes are wrong, the ship's boats are in the wrong place, which means the torpedo tubes have to be in the wrong place, the Seacat manual backup director is missing... that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

But apart from that they're perfect.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2023, 06:49:19 PMBut apart from that they're perfect.  ;D

Well the T21 is a perfect model of Vosper artwork from the mid-'60s...

Ironically enough, when Dragon did a Type 21 they made the whole thing too big, so you could probably do an Exocet swap between the two kits and both of them would be more accurate for it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Video about the new Ferret kit:

- Indiana Jones

Beermonster58

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

The Wooksta!

That's exceptional value for money.  Even I'm tempted, although I have multiples of most of them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Beermonster58

I agree it's very good value but, I don't think I have room for another Vulcan and Valiant. On the other hand, my partner has asked for ideas for her Crimbo shopping list........!. :rolleyes: . I'm sure I could make room somehow!! ;D

Old Wombat

Is the Black Buck Vulcan based on the new mould kit or old mould? :unsure:

(I'm assuming new, but, you know, sometimes companies like to squeeze that last little bit out of an old product before finally letting it go. :rolleyes: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 03, 2023, 01:51:04 AMIs the Black Buck Vulcan based on the new mould kit or old mould? :unsure:

(I'm assuming new, but, you know, sometimes companies like to squeeze that last little bit out of an old product before finally letting it go. :rolleyes: )

It's the New one with a couple of extra bits for the black buck mission including the infamous ECM pod on a door and some questionable other bits and pieces.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Beermonster58

Quote from: Gondor on November 03, 2023, 02:04:14 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on November 03, 2023, 01:51:04 AMIs the Black Buck Vulcan based on the new mould kit or old mould? :unsure:

It's the New one with a couple of extra bits for the black buck mission including the infamous ECM pod on a door and some questionable other bits and pieces.

Gondor
To be honest, I'd just bin the extra bits  because they are, as you say, questionable (is that a euphemism for pretty poor quality😉🤣?) I'd be happy with the standard B. 2 anyway.
The AGM-45 missiles and, ECM pod out of the near 40 year old Hasegawa weapon kits are of far better quality.

Weaver

The December issue of Airfix Model World has an article on how to fix the Black Buck Vulcan's infamous pylon, plus lots of other useful info about the Falklands mods.

Apparently the Black Buck mod was tooled at the same time as the original version, during the COVID lockdown in 2020, and the dearth of info about these mods, plus the lack of a researcher actually in the office, led to the mistake.

- Indiana Jones

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Accidental Loggie

Quote from: kitbasher on November 03, 2023, 10:27:22 PMRotodyne returns - as a 'Vintage Classic' repop.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/fairey-rotodyne-spectacular-product-britains-aviation-industry

The longer it takes for Airfix to release it this time, the more options run through the Whiffery part of my brain, increasingly causing decision paralysis!  I see at least a 7 Sqn one, but there may be more later...
Converte et subvertere