Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on January 07, 2024, 12:39:44 PM
Quote from: Gondor on January 07, 2024, 09:46:05 AMAh, so Hedge Hoppers Anonymous could qualify then?

Is it true that they had difficulty getting them on "Top of the Pops"  because one or another  of the band were usually on detachment somewhere ?..................Sorry, the bass player's just  been posted to Laarbruch.

Yeah, it didn't go down well with their Airships as the RAF's own Pop Band, never got anywhere at all and was probably made up of musicians from the RAF Central Band.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

I used to hunt at record fairs for the EPs and LPs the obscure solo and side projects founded by members of my favourite bands committed to vinyl.
Most bands were better as a collective than as individuals.  But not always.

Blue Oyster Cult were mentioned earlier.  Anyone else here admit to having bought Buck Dharma's solo LP Flat Out?

I've seen a lot of bands and worn out a lot of band tee shirts with tour dates on the back.  In retrospect I should have bought three each time - one to wear then, one (larger one  ;)  ) to wear now, and one to sell to Hipsters for enough to cover the original purchase costs.
But who knew eh?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Hmm, I've still got a copy of 'Agents of Fortune' somewhere. The 'Don't fear the Reaper' track is almost smooth by now.....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on January 08, 2024, 03:35:38 AMBlue Oyster Cult were mentioned earlier.  Anyone else here admit to having bought Buck Dharma's solo LP Flat Out?

No, but do have the rest of the BOC Catalogue, mostly on vinyl.

Now back to Airfix. Apparently my Airfix Christmas Jumper has arrived at my designated UK address, ie, the cousins place

I will not actually see it for a while until they come down to Aus in a month or two.
When ordered, shipping to Australia was 100 Pounds  :o
Whereas shipping to West Wickham in the UK was 5 pounds, so no brainer really. Wont get to wear until some sort of Christmas in July gig anyway.

Weaver

Quote from: jcf on January 08, 2024, 12:48:21 PM

Never heard of that one!  :thumbsup:

For my sins, this is the one I was remembering:

Apparently British slap-stick comedian Norman Wisdom was big in Albania until the end of the Cold War, mainly because his inoffensive humour was one of the few western things the authorities would allow on Albanian TV. I remember him saying in an interview how surreal it was to walk though Heathrow without being recognised by anyone, then get off the plane in Albania to be greated like the Beatles and ferried around in limos to posh hotel suites, then have the reverse experience when he came home a week later.

So now The Ideal Hipster Band need to do a song about Norman Wisdom called Big In Albania... :wacko: 
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay, this should end the thread-drift (famous last words... :rolleyes: )

Airfix 2024 new model range video:

Web page: https://uk.airfix.com/new-2024

Bear in mind that this is not the whole range, just the new additions.

New Tools:

Quickbuild 1/35th Tiger tank
Quickbuild 1/35th Sherman Firefly
Quickbuild Lamborghini Huracan Evo
1/72nd Starter Kit P-51D Mustang
1/72nd Starter Kit Bf-109F-4
1/72nd Starter Kit Eurofighter Typhoon
1/72nd Starter Kit Shannon Class Lifeboat
1/72nd Gift Set: Spitfire Mk.IXC, P-51D Mustang, Tempset Mk.V, Bf 109G-6, Fw 190A-8 - All new Starter Kit tools
1/72nd Dogfight Double: P-51D & Bf 109G-6 - All new Starter Kit tools
1/72nd Dogfight Double: Bf 109G-6  & Spitfire Mk.IX - All new Starter Kit tools
1/72nd Chinook HC-1
1/72nd B-24H Liberator
1/48th Bristol Bulldog

New parts:

1/72nd Meteor FR.9 - new camera nose
1/72nd Beaufort Mk.1A - new turret & drop tanks
1/35th Cromwell Mk.IV/VI  -new wheel nuts

New decals:

1/72nd Bf 109E-4
1/72nd Spitfire Mk.1A
1/72nd Typhoon Mk.1B
1/72nd Sea King HC-4
1/72nd Tiger Moth - RAN & USAF
1/72nd Gladiator - RAF & Norwegian
1/72nd MiG-17F - Egyptian and USAF (Have Drill)
1/72nd Spitfire PR.XIX RAF & Thai
1/72nd Jet Provost
1/48th Tomahawk - RAF & Turkish
1/48th Bf 109E-3/4 - German & French
1/48th Chipmunk T.10/T.20 - Portuguese, Irish & RAF (Royal)

Re-introductions:

1/72nd Severn Class Lifeboat
1/72nd Whitley Mk.V
1/72nd Swift FR.5
1/48th Walrus Mk.I

Vintage Classics:

1/76th Guards Band
1/76th Guards Colour Party
1/72nd Hampden
1/72nd Hawker P.1127 -  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  (Sod's Law: I picked up an original one for £cheap a few years back...)
1/72nd Bristol Belvedere - no word on whether the glazings are fixed
1/24th P-51D Mustang
1/600th HMS Ajax
1/600th HMS Iron Duke

Note that my categories don't exactly match theirs since I think they got a couple wrong: the 1/48th Chipmunk seems to be only a new decal sheet, not new parts, and the 1/35th Cromwell clearly has new parts if its wheel nuts have been fixed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

McColm

I'm surprised that Airfix has released a 1/72 Boeing Chinook,  an updated Sea King Commando well the decals are different and the Belvedere. The Liberator was over due which leads to the question will they produce the B-32?
Not a bad effort overall.

Spey_Phantom

not to impressed, but i do fancy the belvedeere and the RNLI Lifeboats  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on January 09, 2024, 09:30:34 AMI'm surprised that Airfix has released a 1/72 Boeing Chinook,  an updated Sea King Commando well the decals are different and the Belvedere. The Liberator was over due which leads to the question will they produce the B-32?
Not a bad effort overall.

The Chook fits well with their range though. I'm surprised they didn't put the Army Lynx or Puma out as a Vintage Classic to go with it (maybe in years to come).

It'd be nice if the Belvedere came with new parts to fix it's many issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

They're never doing a B-32. Special Hobby, Mach 2 or some such may do one one day, but not Airfix.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

I'm glad I get a second stab a the Meteor FR.9, since I missed the boat on the Airfix Club one last year.

- Indiana Jones

chrisonord

The Belvedere kit is nasty, I was kver the moon finding one for decent money, then when I come to build it, I very nearly shoved it in the bin. :banghead:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on January 09, 2024, 10:09:59 AMI'm glad I get a second stab a the Meteor FR.9, since I missed the boat on the Airfix Club one last year.

There were a few on eBay as I managed to get hold of another two so I could put one in each of the markings of the three operators.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: chrisonord on January 09, 2024, 10:56:22 AMThe Belvedere kit is nasty, I was kver the moon finding one for decent money, then when I come to build it, I very nearly shoved it in the bin. :banghead:

It's literally impossible to build it accurately. Even if you want a prototype (which the model depicts), it has the entire nose moulded in clear plastic and split into left and right halves, which means you get a seam down the middle of the chin glazing. However that's wrong: the real thing had single piece of perspex in that position and there's no way to get rid of an unwanted seam in clear plastic.

If you want to make a production aircraft, then the wings, intakes, door, winch, and undercarriage are all different:

Wings: should have anhedral outer panels instead of the kit's vertical fins.
Intakes: should be solid 'cloches' with wire-mesh 'bubbles' at front and rear instead of the kit's 'square hammocks'.
Door & winch: should be sliding with a fixed winch instead of the kit's top-hinge door with the winch in a blister on it.
Undercarriage: can't remember but there's something wrong with it...

- Indiana Jones

Beermonster58

Bit of a non event really. Definitely a MEH from me.
None of the new items are of any interest but, I admit the B-24 looks tasty! ;D  Out of the reissues, I already have the ones  I want in their earlier guises so, I don't need any more. Nice to see the Whitley and Swift again though. Biggest disappointment was the very thin selection of Vintage Classic offerings. On the face of it, there is nothing in the range as announced that I will be buying. However, I'm hoping Airfix may slip in a few surprises like they did last year! :thumbsup: 

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!