Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Where are they getting their injection moulding done now?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

I think it's the one with the wheels.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Vale Ray Cross - 3 April 1924 - 24 April 2024.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Beermonster58

Once again, I think that over in the other place they are whining and wailing about what appears to be a pretty minor issue with the wheels! Much ado about nothing as Shakespeare once wrote. I haven't actually checked mine but, if that's all it is then who cares? It'll hardly be noticed one built and painted. I've got more important things to be worried about.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on May 05, 2024, 08:52:07 PMVale Ray Cross - 3 April 1924 - 24 April 2024.

A good innings, but "Bugger!' :(
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 06, 2024, 12:56:51 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on May 05, 2024, 08:52:07 PMVale Ray Cross - 3 April 1924 - 24 April 2024.

A good innings, but "Bugger!' :(

Sums up my feelings  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2024, 04:52:17 AMWhere are they getting their injection moulding done now?

The Liberator box has "made in India".

As I said mine is fine.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 04, 2024, 10:34:22 AMLots of wailing and gnashing of teeth on Britmodeller over mould misalignment issues with some sprues in the Liberators.  Not that it affects me - not a kit I'm likely to be buying.

For anyone who's vaguely bothered by this - here is the thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235135042-172-consolidated-b-24h-liberator-by-airfix-released/page/9/#comment-4948426

It's a tiny little thing in that the groove around the tires and hub is slightly offset by 0.5mm. The wheels are mostly hidden by paint and the gear doors so it's nothing like the disaster it sounds like.

As we all know there will be numerous resin and etch sets out for this kit by Christmas. That includes the different tire treads and the correct windows or doors to suit whichever factory your chosen B-24 was produced at.

The Wooksta!

I think it's more the quality control, or rather the lack of it that the denizens of Britmodeller are bemoaning.  You shouldn't be paying the exhorbitant prices that Airfix are asking for their new tooled kits to get substandard mouldings.  I was decidedly miffed to get Vulcan wings so warped that they were unusable, and that was sixty odd notes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 06, 2024, 01:23:51 PMI think it's more the quality control, or rather the lack of it that the denizens of Britmodeller are bemoaning. 

I agree there Lee, but it's what can happen when your production facilities are thousands of miles away from the design/marketing teams and you rely on third party QC which you have no control over. There are ways around it but they are expensive and  rely on luck to some extent and can be "fiddled" at either end.

Mind you it even happens in the full size aircraft production world  :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68966894

zenrat

I presume that they are having their injection moulding done by a professional injection moulding facility and not by a shoddy fly by night outfit.  In which case things like ensuring mould alignment are a basic requirement of the job.  If it's off, then you do it again.

Not good enough Airfix.  Not at your prices.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Does this mean that there will be a future release of the Consolidation Privateer and B-32 in plastic?

Mossie

I doubt it.  Airfix don't play the variants game much.  You may get a variant that's already on the sprue or maybe with a small accessory sprue.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on May 07, 2024, 11:00:01 AMDoes this mean that there will be a future release of the Consolidation Privateer and B-32 in plastic?
Quote from: Mossie on May 07, 2024, 11:38:19 AMI doubt it.  Airfix don't play the variants game much.  You may get a variant that's already on the sprue or maybe with a small accessory sprue.

I agree with Mossie, I am betting that there will be a British version released. Said version may just be a variation on the Far East option in the old Airfix kit or, and this is what I am hoping for, a version used with 100 Group seeing that the B-17 had that option. It is also possible, but far less likely, for the ASW version used by Coastal Command with the rocket racks on either side of the nose, but eduard did that a few years ago based on the Hasagawa kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

I would like to see a Privateer if they were willing to bite the bullet, the Matchbox kit is the only one I can recall.  It'd  be nice for all those water bomber conversions.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.