Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Every magazine build I ever read of a WW kit had the builder putting turnbuckles in the rigging.  Can't remember though if they were aftermarket or if the kits came with them.

If someone would like to buy me a WW Brisfit I promise i'll look into it and report back.   ;D  :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on June 07, 2024, 06:24:53 AMIf someone would like to buy me a WW Brisfit I promise i'll look into it and report back.  ;D  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I admire your Optimism...  ;)

or is it Chutzpah?  ;D

Gondor

Tamiya brought out a set of etch rigging for their 1/48 Swordfish I believe.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Chinook on Workbench, built up examples in the Falklands and Gulf War box schemes:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-chinook-shows-its-true-colours
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 07, 2024, 03:21:51 AMIf something like the Bulldog came with pre measured/cut lengths of "rigging" in either plastic or "wire" then I'd certainly be tempted. However it would need to be produced as an extra regardless of whether it was included in the kit or not as it's highly unlikely the people producing the mouldings would have either the ability or inclination to produce the rigging. It would add some cost, although how much I've know idea, but it would be a cost I'd be prepared to bare. The downside is that those who have their own preferences for rigging material and are quite happy to rig a model wouldn't be prepared to bare that extra.

A few years ago now I saw turnbuckles being sold as an extra for a WWI model in either 1/48 or 1/32 scale. Now assuming you could fit those they would make the fitting of the rigging theoreticaly easier  :angel:  I've not seen any since, but then again I've not looked. As an aside it also showed how "far away" from the struts the rigging points actually are at times.
GasPatch do 3D-printed resin turnbuckles in 1/16th, 1/24th, 1/32nd and 1/48th.
The latter two are also available in 3D-printed metal. The RAF* style are for the
RAF flat-wire that was introduced as standard towards the end of WWI. All UK
biplanes, and some monoplanes, from that point on used the flat-wire for rigging.

Which is why photoetched wires are more accurate for UK types. ;)
*RAF as in Royal Aircraft Factory not Royal Air Force
1/48 Printed metal RAF Turnbuckles

NARSES2

Cheers Jon. I only see that advert every month when I get my latest addition of SAM  :banghead:  Obviously getting old  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 07, 2024, 06:24:53 AMIf someone would like to buy me a WW Brisfit I promise i'll look into it and report back.   ;D  :thumbsup:

I take it your talking about a Wingnut Wings one ? If so the going price on E-Bay is between £20 and £275, so I'd say England have more chance of winning the Euro's  ;)

Quote from: Gondor on June 07, 2024, 07:06:54 AMTamiya brought out a set of etch rigging for their 1/48 Swordfish I believe.

Gondor

Yes they did.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: jcf on June 07, 2024, 04:49:15 PM...GasPatch do 3D-printed resin turnbuckles in 1/16th, 1/24th, 1/32nd and 1/48th.

Not 1/72?  Damn, i'll have to forgo the pleasure of wrestling to attach them onto the end of elastic threads...   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Workbench for the Shannon Class Lifeboat Starter Set with photos of the built up kit:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/starter-set-launch-new-rnli-shannon-class-lifeboat-kit

Release must be pretty close, they're coming thick and fast at the mo.

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on June 14, 2024, 01:17:02 PMWorkbench for the Shannon Class Lifeboat Starter Set with photos of the built up kit:
https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/starter-set-launch-new-rnli-shannon-class-lifeboat-kit

Is it wrong I want a 1/1 scale to motor about the bays and inlets of Atlantic County?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Deffo going to get one of those to go with my Severn Class lifeboat kit.

Bought that at an RNLI station because the RNLI received a cut of the profit on kits sold by them.  Good to see that sales from both the lifeboat kits will generate donations to the RNLI.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Quote from: scooter on June 14, 2024, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: Mossie on June 14, 2024, 01:17:02 PMWorkbench for the Shannon Class Lifeboat Starter Set with photos of the built up kit:

Is it wrong I want a 1/1 scale to motor about the bays and inlets of Atlantic County?
You don't want a USCG 47 footer?
;D

Rheged

Quote from: jcf on June 14, 2024, 02:48:59 PM
Quote from: scooter on June 14, 2024, 01:28:00 PM

You don't want a USCG 47 footer?
;D

A worthy craft indeed, but personally, I'd prefer one of the recently refitted Severn class.  A few years ago, I chatted to the coxswain of the Longhope lifeboat  (Orkney)  His view was that a Severn is  "totally unbreakable"  given a sensible crew.  The refitted version is even more seaworthy
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet