Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Steel Penguin on October 04, 2024, 10:59:56 PMit didnt help the airfiix figures were a very vinyl-y plastic,  which isnt the best in the world to work with.

They did a historic unboxing of some vinyl figures on their Youtube channel and loads of people asked for them to be re-done in hard plastic. The response was that the molds aren't suitable for hard plastic. I don't know what the difference is, but apparently there is one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Got an email from Airfix just now, talking about a 'secret' new kit of the Anson, together with four more kits they feel I need to know about.

All FIVE of which are 1/48 scale!! :(

I don't have a 'not larger than 1/71 scale' filter on my email client, but I NEED one!  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2024, 11:25:09 AMGot an email from Airfix just now, talking about a 'secret' new kit of the Anson, together with four more kits they feel I need to know about.

I don't have a 'not larger than 1/71 scale' filter on my email client, but I NEED one!  :banghead:  :banghead:

The reason I buy Airfix Model World on an ad hoc basis instead of subscribing is becuase it's sometimes like this. The latest one has ONE 1/72nd build (Manchester conversion from the Airfix Lancaster). Everything else is 1/48th. 1/35th and 1/24th. I didn't buy it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

I don't buy modelling magazines and haven't for many years for the reason that they rarely if ever have anything in my scale or range of interest.  There's a load in the loft that will be going in a skip soon.

Actually, that's not quite true, I do get the IPMS newsletter but only under duress, as it's a complete waste of paper and ink, because it's with the membership I pay to get into Telford for nowt. I'm not going this year, so not renewing my membership.  I flatly refuse to pay thirty notes for a few magazines and little else.

Edit: A full A4 box of mixed magazines has gone in the recycling and more to follow.  On the plus side, I found the magazine I've been wanting for find, with an article on 60 Sqn, SAAF, which had a rare photo of Mosquito PR.II DD743.  Plenty of photos of DD744, but '743 seems rather camera shy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on October 09, 2024, 08:13:59 PMThe reason I buy Airfix Model World on an ad hoc basis instead of subscribing is becuase it's sometimes like this. The latest one has ONE 1/72nd build (Manchester conversion from the Airfix Lancaster). Everything else is 1/48th. 1/35th and 1/24th. I didn't buy it.

Which month's edition is that one, please? I am interested in the Manchester conversion article.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on October 10, 2024, 10:07:57 AM
Quote from: Weaver on October 09, 2024, 08:13:59 PMThe reason I buy Airfix Model World on an ad hoc basis instead of subscribing is becuase it's sometimes like this. The latest one has ONE 1/72nd build (Manchester conversion from the Airfix Lancaster). Everything else is 1/48th. 1/35th and 1/24th. I didn't buy it.

Which month's edition is that one, please? I am interested in the Manchester conversion article.

Gondor

The November one. Here: https://www.keymodelworld.com/airfix-model-world/latest-issue

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on October 10, 2024, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: Gondor on October 10, 2024, 10:07:57 AM

Gondor

The November one. Here: https://www.keymodelworld.com/airfix-model-world/latest-issue

Cheers, I will pick up a copy as I have seen it in my local supermarket  :thumbsup:

Gondor

EDIT: Got one, thanks.

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Beermonster58

Be more to the point if they actually produced a Manchester kit instead of a conversion article.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 09, 2024, 11:25:09 AMGot an email from Airfix just now, talking about a 'secret' new kit of the Anson, together with four more kits they feel I need to know about.

Got the same email!! ;)  ;D . Not only have I zero interest in an Anson, I have ZERO interest in 1/48.....!
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

zenrat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on October 11, 2024, 11:22:25 PMBe more to the point if they actually produced a Manchester kit instead of a conversion article.

And a Lincoln Mk31.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Was an interesting diatribe on Facebook yesterday about that Manchester conversation.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 12, 2024, 05:37:48 AMAnd a Lincoln Mk31.

Has anyone EVER done a conversion for that long nosed marvel machine?

I can't recall one, and it's so darned obvious, even if you could find a Lincoln kit in the first place!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2024, 07:05:47 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 12, 2024, 05:37:48 AMAnd a Lincoln Mk31.

Has anyone EVER done a conversion for that long nosed marvel machine?

I can't recall one, and it's so darned obvious, even if you could find a Lincoln kit in the first place!

Yes, Paragon did it in both 1/72 and 1/48 if I remember correctly, certainly in 1/72. I still have most of the parts in 1/72.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on October 12, 2024, 08:00:17 AMYes, Paragon did it in both 1/72 and 1/48 if I remember correctly, certainly in 1/72. I still have most of the parts in 1/72.

Veeeeery interesting Alastair, thank you.  :thumbsup:

Is it the whole Lincoln conversion from a suitable Lanc kit. or just the long nose?

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The longer nose section.  Even Contrail gave that nose on their original Lincoln.  IIRC Red Roo did it as part of an upgrade set for the Blackbird Lincoln conversion.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: