Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2023, 05:24:57 AMAre all their new models going to be 1/48 in future?

Well, it is a bit easier to simplify 1/48 detail down into 1/72 detail that it is to improve the 1/72 detail to 1/48 levels.

So, if you're lucky, they'll hit the market with their 1/48 offerings (which will be considerably more expensive) &, once they've sold enough of them, release the 1/72 version.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 25, 2023, 06:19:53 AMWell, it is a bit easier to simplify 1/48 detail down into 1/72 detail that it is to improve the 1/72 detail to 1/48 levels.

So true, as other manufacturers have done, namely Revell/Monogram, but I don't think Airfix have EVER done it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Youtube video from Airfix about the 1/48th Sea King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVyPUIxAarA

Interestingly, all four colour schemes are of the same airframe, XV666 (aka "Damien"  ;D  ) throughout it's life: RN Blue, RN Grey, RN Grey+Dayglo, and Heli-Ops (private contractor) Grey+Orange.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Glad to see it's got rivets.  I couldn't quite get with the recent 1/72 kit, a Sea King is rivety.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2023, 12:29:03 PMGlad to see it's got rivets.  I couldn't quite get with the recent 1/72 kit, a Sea King is rivety.

Good to know, for when I eventually get around to my Sikorski S-61N conversion... thanks.  :thumbsup:

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2023, 05:24:57 AMAre all their new models going to be 1/48 in future?

Also on the Airfix front, I ordered two of the re-popped Bond Bug kits, but actually getting them is a NIGHTmare! Airfix's courier company is DPD and a more useless and dis-functional operation would be difficult to find! They've made no less then FOUR attempts to deliver the Bugs, but totally ignored my instructions where to leave them. I tried re-defining the place to leave them on the DPD website, but the site didn't work. I tried emailing them and that didn't work. I tried PHONING them and that failed as well! I emailed Airfix and told them what I thought about DPD, and they said THEY'D tell DPD where to leave the kits.

DPD ignored them and this morning Airfix phoned ME! There was a frank and free exchange of views and they said they'd ensure they were delivered correctly.

I await results................

That's certainly disappointing. I cannot really fault Airfix deliveries.  Also, here in Edinburgh, Wonderland models uses DPD and, service is excellent. I always use the next day option.. I wonder if the issue is really with your local DPD depot because, certainly I have no issues at all with my local deliveries. Anyway, hope your consignment arrives safely. :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 26, 2023, 12:46:45 AMThat's certainly disappointing. I cannot really fault Airfix deliveries.  Also, here in Edinburgh, Wonderland models uses DPD and, service is excellent. I always use the next day option.. I wonder if the issue is really with your local DPD depot because, certainly I have no issues at all with my local deliveries. Anyway, hope your consignment arrives safely. :thumbsup:

It's due to arrive in about 30 mins, I'll report back.

The main problem is it's impossible to communicate with DPD in any way at all!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

The September (I don't understand their date system either  :unsure: ) Airfix Magazine dropped through my letterbox this morning and it's got a 30 page Sea King supplement, including a lengthy build of the new kit. Looks very nice  :thumbsup:

They also have a build of the new tool Ferret, which also gets a good report.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

So why hasn't Airfix produced the EH-101 Merlin or the Boeing Chinnook? The closest thing was the Boeing Sea Knight or the Jolly Green Giant.

PR19_Kit

Because other companies, notably Italeri, had already done them, and arguably had made a better job than Airfix could have done in that time period.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

I built the Italeri Chinook gun ship in 72nd donkeys yrs back ..still remember it being a nice kit.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 26, 2023, 04:40:33 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 26, 2023, 12:46:45 AMThat's certainly disappointing. I cannot really fault Airfix deliveries.  Also, here in Edinburgh, Wonderland models uses DPD and, service is excellent. I always use the next day option.. I wonder if the issue is really with your local DPD depot because, certainly I have no issues at all with my local deliveries. Anyway, hope your consignment arrives safely. :thumbsup:

The main problem is it's impossible to communicate with DPD in any way at all!

Now, THAT I can certainly agree with. It's also not the only courier that makes it almost impossible to communicate in any meaningful way.

Beermonster58

Quote from: McColm on August 01, 2023, 06:30:55 AMSo why hasn't Airfix produced the EH-101 Merlin or the Boeing Chinnook? The closest thing was the Boeing Sea Knight or the Jolly Green Giant.
Well, they DID produce a Merlin HC.3 which, although not quite the same, was a poor seller and has disappeared never to be seen again since its first release in 2013. Their CH-53 was also a very nice kit but again, not the maritime version as I recall. I think though that the answer may simply be that helicopters generally do not generate sales in the same way fixed wing aircraft do. Italeri did produce an EH-101 in 2003 (reissue by Revell) which is long O OP and only available now at silly prices

PR19_Kit

Somewhere I've got one of the Italeri EH-101s in the US Presidential version, 'Marine One', that didn't happen for real, or not for long anyway. It looks a nice, neat kit, like most Italeri ones are.

I've got NUMEROUS copies of their various Chinooks too, one of which is the version with the big side tanks, like the RAFs Mk 3/5s. I must build a few of them some day.......

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 01, 2023, 05:40:22 AMThe September (I don't understand their date system either  :unsure: ) Airfix Magazine dropped through my letterbox this morning...

It's the date newsagents should remove the unsold copies from their shelves.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..