Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2023, 03:40:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 01, 2023, 05:40:22 AMThe September (I don't understand their date system either  :unsure: ) Airfix Magazine dropped through my letterbox this morning...

It's the date newsagents should remove the unsold copies from their shelves.

Right, that's the first logical explanation I've heard  :thumbsup:  I don't know of any other magazines that use it, but then I only get a couple on a regular basis.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Magazine publication dates have been doing that for ages now, in all sorts of areas, car mags in particular.

I reckon it's a scheme to get ahead of the competition, but when they all do it, it's a waste of time and effort.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2023, 03:40:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 01, 2023, 05:40:22 AMThe September (I don't understand their date system either  :unsure: ) Airfix Magazine dropped through my letterbox this morning...

It's the date newsagents should remove the unsold copies from their shelves.

I thought it was when I get around to reading it.  ;D

Quite often I get a magazine and it sits in my bag, the car or The Stack till I see it and think 'Ooh, really should have read that by now'.

Wardukw

I'm not saying that NZ is slow to get things..which we are..but I picked up the latest issue of Airfix magazine at my fav bookstore in Thames last week ...it's April ..issue 149 🤨
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on August 02, 2023, 12:06:39 PMI'm not saying that NZ is slow to get things..which we are..but I picked up the latest issue of Airfix magazine at my fav bookstore in Thames last week ...it's April ..issue 149 🤨

Current issue is 154. I didn't realise you were that far behind.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2023, 12:19:59 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 02, 2023, 12:06:39 PMI'm not saying that NZ is slow to get things..which we are..but I picked up the latest issue of Airfix magazine at my fav bookstore in Thames last week ...it's April ..issue 149 🤨

Well I have news for you my good Sir..picked up another issue today..May ...issue 150🤗
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on August 03, 2023, 12:32:43 AM

Well I have news for you my good Sir..picked up another issue today..May ...issue 150🤗

At my rate of reading you'll seen be ahead of me  ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2023, 12:37:36 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 03, 2023, 12:32:43 AM

At my rate of reading you'll seen be ahead of me  ;D
😃😃😃😃😅😅

zenrat

If you buy a copy every month DUKWy it's worth subscribing. You'll save money and If you do it at the right time (ie when they are offering one) they give you a free model.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 03, 2023, 05:27:24 AMIf you buy a copy every month DUKWy it's worth subscribing. You'll save money and If you do it at the right time (ie when they are offering one) they give you a free model.

There's an offer in the current one  :thumbsup:  I subscribe but via quarterly DD.

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on August 03, 2023, 05:27:24 AMIf you buy a copy every month DUKWy it's worth subscribing. You'll save money and If you do it at the right time (ie when they are offering one) they give you a free model.
For me Fred I can afford one every month but not the subscription..it's to much to handle in one hit even tho I would love to .

Weaver

Airfix are currently having an 'outlet' sale. No idea why it's an 'outlet' when it's just another page on their website, but hey-ho...

Anyway, there's some quite good deals on there: LINK

Aircraft & related:
Concorde gift set (1/144th) down from £36 to £20
Vulcan (1/72nd) down from £72 to £50
Sabre (1/48th) down from £40 to £25
Mig 17 & Skyhawk dogfight double (1/72nd) down from £36 to £20
LIM-5 (MiG-17) (1/72nd) down from £18 to £10
Luftwaffe Personnel (1/76th) down from £6 to £3

1/35th armour:
King Tiger down from £52 to £36
Hetzer down from £27 to £19
Panzer 35(T) down from £33 to £23
M10 GMC down from £45 to £31

1/72nd & 1/76th armour:
LCM3 & Sherman 1/76th down from £16 to £11
D-Day Assault set down from £40 to £28
Churchill Bridgelayer down from £20 to £14
Buffalo & Jeep down from £11 to £8
88mm gun & Tractor down from £11 to £8
DUKW down from £11 to £7
European City Steps down from £25 to £5  ;D  :o

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2023, 05:24:57 AMAre all their new models going to be 1/48 in future?

Also on the Airfix front, I ordered two of the re-popped Bond Bug kits, but actually getting them is a NIGHTmare! Airfix's courier company is DPD and a more useless and dis-functional operation would be difficult to find! They've made no less then FOUR attempts to deliver the Bugs, but totally ignored my instructions where to leave them. I tried re-defining the place to leave them on the DPD website, but the site didn't work. I tried emailing them and that didn't work. I tried PHONING them and that failed as well! I emailed Airfix and told them what I thought about DPD, and they said THEY'D tell DPD where to leave the kits.

DPD ignored them and this morning Airfix phoned ME! There was a frank and free exchange of views and they said they'd ensure they were delivered correctly.

I await results................
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 25, 2023, 05:24:57 AMAre all their new models going to be 1/48 in future?

I sincerely hope not. I buy few enough Airfix kits now as it is and, none of them in 1/48. If they stopped producing in 1/72, I'd be taking my custom elsewhere.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

My thoughts exactly, but their web announcements and magazine features these days seem to be hard-over 1/48, along with many other manufacturers.

I'd venture to suggest it's nothing to do with customer demand, it's more to do with the bean counters realising that they can make more money from a 1/48 kit than a 1/72 one for the same amount of research.  :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Then, when they've made their investment back plus a tidy profit, they down-scale it to 1/72 & strike at that (larger?) market. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est