Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 30, 2023, 08:47:50 AMThen, when they've made their investment back plus a tidy profit, they down-scale it to 1/72 & strike at that (larger?) market. ;)

Should that not be a smaller market?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Except they don't, and I've suggested that to them at various shows, only to be greeted with the 'We don't see a demand for that model........' line

And when they DID do it the other way round, starting with a 1/72 TSR2, which was built from a 1/48 master, they then did a 1/48 TSR2 using a totally different, and WRONG, master!  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

You guys know I'm not s 72nd scale builder but I'm certain that 72nd is a much bigger /smaller  ;D market..you go into any model shop here and there's always a ton more 72nd kits and at much cheaper prices...this makes no sense to me.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

More room for a larger collection... and you can sell a lot more 1/72 than 1/24...

kitbasher

I'm going to be generous here and suggest that Airfix are catching up with rivals in the 1/48 market, staking a major claim in countries where 'quarter scale' prevails.  If it makes them money then great, it goves them resources to invest in new kits in a variety of scales.

I can't help but feel that Airfix gets a bashing (at least by Brits) - whatever they do and however well they do it, when other manufacturers get off lightly - scot free, even - for acting in the same way.  Cut them a bit of slack chaps! 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Not from me, I'm equal opportunities. I'll happily slate anyone.   

Especially the one company that apparently can do no wrong, Hasegawa. Guilty of the same crimes that Airfix are guilty of re the kits that time forgot yet the sun shines out of their ringpiece in the eyes of the modelling press.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Pellson

I have to say that  I really like the new Airfix kits I've coma across, and then I'm referring to the new designs, not the reissues. Generally, they're very well engineered indeed, with a very easy fit and a very nice plastic material to work with, should you want to change something.

Then obviously, I would still have liked them to issue the Comet C.4, not Mach2, and at half the price, barely, but that's kind of where we all stand and something that'll never happen. And we know it.

Back to the Amodel Yak. Oh God - had that, just been an Airfix kit..  :banghead:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

An Airfix Comet 4C in 72 would likely be the same price as new tool Vulcan.
Fit issues aside, the Mach Poo Comet is apparently ok, according to a mate that worked on them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on August 30, 2023, 01:01:46 PMI can't help but feel that Airfix gets a bashing (at least by Brits - whatever they do and however well they do it, when other manufacturers get off lightly - scot free, even - for acting in the same way.  Cut them a bit of slack chaps! 

Agree Dave, but then that's standard practice (almost traditional) here in the UK when it comes to any British company/manufacturer  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 30, 2023, 03:10:02 PMNot from me, I'm equal opportunities. I'll happily slate anyone.   

Especially the one company that apparently can do no wrong, Hasegawa. Guilty of the same crimes that Airfix are guilty of re the kits that time forgot yet the sun shines out of their ringpiece in the eyes of the modelling press.

I never get why there's so much untempered adoration for all things Hasegawa in the modelling press.  Yes the company produces good kits but they are often overpriced, plus they  continue to sell 30/40/50-year old items (e.g. the 1/72 Neptune, although no-one else has ever produced a rival kit (the FROG and Revell Neptunes are reboxes of the Hasegawa product)).  Airfix theses days at least calls them 'Vintage' and make no bones about that particular range being of a 'senior' nature.

We really should big up Airfix more.

And as for scale, my stash is 100% 1/72 but I'm thoroughly enjoying building the current 1/48 Hurricane I and I think the 1/48 Anson is a better kit than the 1/24 Spitfire IX.

Oh, and there's currently 70 1/72 aircraft kits versus 28 1/48 aircraft kits in the current range.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Wardukw

We've all built the old Airfix models which by today's standards is crap but there also very very old and back then they were brilliant because that was the thing..yeah Hasegawa was there and yep I had plenty of them too ...I was more into jets for a little while there .
Now tho..damn...Airfix has some gorgeous models ..when I got my first new Airfix kit ..which wasn't all that long ago..B lll Lancaster I was amazed..super clean and beautifully detailed but missing its right hand side fuselage and both lower wing panels..you guys told me to contact Airfix and I did..great stuff 😀
Now ive a complete 72nd scale Lancaster and it's one I'd actually build even if it is the wrong scale  :wacko:
Now ive got a few new Airfix kits and wouldn't hesitate to get more.
The next I think will be one of their 35th scale tanks..just not a feckin Sherman. ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rheged

Quote from: Wardukw on September 01, 2023, 01:00:38 PMNow ive got a few new Airfix kits and wouldn't hesitate to get more.
The next I think will be one of their 35th scale tanks..just not a feckin Sherman. ;D

Airfix  do a 1/35 scale Cromwell  which would look good as a vehicle of the  Royal New Zealand Armoured Corps  in the Korean War, or perhaps the  4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade serving  as a garrison force in Trieste in late 1945.      Either would make a suitably subtle Whiff.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Wardukw

Micheal mate ive seen that kit and its pretty nice and well worth a build but do you honestly think id do something that simple  ;D
Id probably end up with a Cromwell./Comet something or rather  :wacko: 
One thing is for sure ,,,a 75mm gun is not going to cut it . ;)

Mossie

Another simple one, whiff up the Royal Australian or New Zealand Marines, add wading gear to the Cromwell VI.  Just an excuse to chuck antipodean Marines into the hat.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

Im going to leave the Marine stuff to our mate Womby ,,,I do like the Cromwell but ive had the Tamiya one ,,,so when i do get a Airfix chunk of armour it will be something which i hope ive not had before ,,the trouble is that ive had a ton of armour kits so ill bet it will be something ive had before  ;D
One thing i know it wont be is a Tiger 1,,,ive built far to many of those and i still have two of them to finish  :banghead: