Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 30, 2023, 08:39:51 AMMy thoughts exactly, but their web announcements and magazine features these days seem to be hard-over 1/48, along with many other manufacturers.

I'd venture to suggest it's nothing to do with customer demand, it's more to do with the bean counters realising that they can make more money from a 1/48 kit than a 1/72 one for the same amount of research.  :(
You may be right but, I tend to take another view. Namely that (a) the comparatively high cost of a 1/48 kit compared to a 1/72 one is likely to put off a lot of customers, particularly those who prefer the smaller scale. (b) A 1/72 kit taking up less display space and, costing a lot less is likely to generate multiple sales and, surely generate MORE income? Not a very scientific example but, I got three 1/72 Buccaneers for not much more than the cost of a 1/48 one!
Now, I confess I have no knowledge of how a business operates but, I would have thought that possibly alienating a large part of your customer base is not a good way to run a business? I have nothing against 1/48 & larger per se but, I never buy anything in such scales. Any kit I have larger than 1/72 has been gifted to me. I like the inherent simplicity  (and lower cost) in most 1/72 kits that you may not find in larger scales.
Personal choice of course but, if companies generally stopped producing 1/72 kits, I'd be looking for a new hobby. I think Airfix could be making a big mistake if they concentrated on 1/48 at the expense of 1/72.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

The Wooksta!

They're aiming for the US market, who's is predominately 48th. A mistake perhaps, as it can possibly alienate their core UK base. Apart from a PR Mosquito and a second hand Lightning, He 111 and Canberra, I've not bought any Airfix kits this year.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 31, 2023, 04:59:29 AMAn Airfix Comet 4C in 72 would likely be the same price as new tool Vulcan.
Fit issues aside, the Mach Poo Comet is apparently ok, according to a mate that worked on them.

Well - the Mach2 one I have in my StashTM wasn't exactly cheap either, so I might have been pushed slightly further to shell out for an Airfix one.

That said - I'm happy about the one I have. One day, I might even build it..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

The irony is that I'd bought an Airways Comet and then bought the Mach Poo one thinking it could be less work...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 02, 2023, 04:08:12 AMThe irony is that I'd bought an Airways Comet and then bought the Mach Poo one thinking it could be less work...
Then I'd suppose you'd spent less had you been able to buy an Airfix one from the start..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Wardukw

I looked at a couple of Airfix tanks yesterday..a M3 Grant and a M10 tank destroyer..the $90 price tag put me off .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on September 06, 2023, 05:49:20 PMI looked at a couple of Airfix tanks yesterday..a M3 Grant and a M10 tank destroyer..the $90 price tag put me off .
Airfix prices in general have, in some cases reached or even surpassed my affordability barrier. I haven't bough a new Airfix tooling in three years. Even the prices for the reissues are pretty shocking. However, nobody is compelled to buy so, like you, I just pass them by. Only Airfix kits I bought last year and this year have been Vintage Classics
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw on September 06, 2023, 05:49:20 PMI looked at a couple of Airfix tanks yesterday..a M3 Grant and a M10 tank destroyer..the $90 price tag put me off .

Phill, try pricing the Academy kits - they're the same...

Wardukw

Rick my ol mate Academy kits are nuts now too..models ive brought for like say $50 are now the same or damn close to Airfix prices..Dragon prices are mental too.
The strange thing is I've found quite a few new Airfix aircraft kits at very affordable prices..hell I got a 48th Defiant for $35nz from Hobbycity...got  a brand new MK24 Spitfire for $40 of teademe and the best ..a 72nd Vulcan for $60 .
Armour thou...ouch
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

Airfix do a mystery bundle that is very good value for money.  The 1/35 bundle is £100 (about $ 210 NZ) and your guaranteed to get  a minimum of 4 kits and save 50%. So that'd be $400+ worth of kits.

There's also an aircraft bundle, I believe they mix scales with that one.  They do various non mystery bundles too.
https://uk.airfix.com/shop/bundles?langPath=airfix-uk&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_br_category%5D=br-bundles&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_sub_category%5D=Mystery%20Boxes@@@!Hobby%20Bundles@@@!Value%20Packs&page_id=112120&sort-by=8&page=1

It might be worth it if you're willing to stump up a large sum for several kits and don't worry about what you'll get, or have mates that are willing to chip in and absorb shipping cost to NZ.  Have a look on YouTube for unboxings.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: kitbasher on August 31, 2023, 01:35:23 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 30, 2023, 03:10:02 PMNot from me, I'm equal opportunities. I'll happily slate anyone. 

Especially the one company that apparently can do no wrong, Hasegawa. Guilty of the same crimes that Airfix are guilty of re the kits that time forgot yet the sun shines out of their ringpiece in the eyes of the modelling press.

I never get why there's so much untempered adoration for all things Hasegawa in the modelling press.  Yes the company produces good kits but they are often overpriced, plus they  continue to sell 30/40/50-year old items (e.g. the 1/72 Neptune, although no-one else has ever produced a rival kit (the FROG and Revell Neptunes are reboxes of the Hasegawa product)).  Airfix theses days at least calls them 'Vintage' and make no bones about that particular range being of a 'senior' nature.

We really should big up Airfix more.

And as for scale, my stash is 100% 1/72 but I'm thoroughly enjoying building the current 1/48 Hurricane I and I think the 1/48 Anson is a better kit than the 1/24 Spitfire IX.

Oh, and there's currently 70 1/72 aircraft kits versus 28 1/48 aircraft kits in the current range.
There hasn't been untempered admiration for Hasegawa in the modelling press for a very long time
and definitely not in the digital medium. Complaints about re-releases are most common, especially
amongst those who don't look beyond the aircraft section of their catalog.
:rolleyes:

Hasegawa have expanded their non-military ranges with some really well done and interesting subjects.
Which makes sense as the competition in the military aircraft arena has expanded to the point that the
business case for new kits, especially with all that's expected today by the market, is difficult to justify
as the margins have shrunk. 

Wardukw

Quote from: Mossie on September 07, 2023, 05:44:42 AMAirfix do a mystery bundle that is very good value for money.  The 1/35 bundle is £100 (about $ 210 NZ) and your guaranteed to get  a minimum of 4 kits and save 50%. So that'd be $400+ worth of kits.

There's also an aircraft bundle, I believe they mix scales with that one.  They do various non mystery bundles too.
https://uk.airfix.com/shop/bundles?langPath=airfix-uk&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_br_category%5D=br-bundles&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_sub_category%5D=Mystery%20Boxes@@@!Hobby%20Bundles@@@!Value%20Packs&page_id=112120&sort-by=8&page=1

It might be worth it if you're willing to stump up a large sum for several kits and don't worry about what you'll get, or have mates that are willing to chip in and absorb shipping cost to NZ.  Have a look on YouTube for unboxings.
Mossie I've watched a few of the unboxing vids and there's no doubt about the price..it's a goodin for certain..the only annoying thing with these boxes I've noticed is that the tanks you get are ones I've had many times before and don't really want again.
Getting Panzer IVs would be very nice but I've done my time with Stugs and M10 TDs and Tigers...I'll probably never buy a Tiger 1 ever again...a King Tiger is a possible one tho. ;D
Now adays I'm being very Scottish with my money prices being what they are ..even cheap models like Academys M3A1 Stuart light tank which I could get easily for under $30 bucks is over $60 now..it's just ridiculous 🙄

Mossie

I agree, that's a deal killer if you're likely to get something you don't want.  There is the possibility however of selling those kits under the going rate but still making a profit, which in turn increases your saving.

frank2056

Some of the newer Airfix armor kits are reboxed ICM, Miniart or Thunder models kits. The Airfix price is often less than the original boxing (at least in the US), possibly due to the importer. Revell Germany does this as well.