Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: Rick Lowe on November 05, 2023, 08:18:58 PM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on November 05, 2023, 03:56:25 AMOr,instead of wasting money on aftermarket frippery  which would probably cost as much as, if not more than the basic kit, one could conceivably scratch build a fair amount of cockpit/interior detail? I'd venture to suggest that most, if not all of us have a fair bit of modeling time under our belts so, it shouldn't be that difficult! ;)  ;D  :rolleyes:  Use the money otherwise saved to buy another Rotodyne(s)?

I like the way you think! :thumbsup:
And I find scratching up that sort of detail fun, which is what the hobby is supposed to be...
Plus, I'm Cheap - oh, I mentioned that already? Multiple times? Never mind, then...  ;)
We residents of Jockland have a reputation for being thrifty and, I see no reason to alter that perception!! ;D  ;D .  You're right though, it's supposed to be fun and, I don't like being spoon fed. Maybe it's an age thing but, I just don't get why anybody would buy a kit and then spend the same again or, even more on add on bits. Where's the sense in that? I remember once before telling someone that I spent many happy hours scratch building interior details for the Revell 1/32 Beaufighter and Mosquito and then adding a lot of extra details to the (rather toy like I thought) Airfix 1/24 Harrier. 
He'd asked how much I spent on aftermarket accessories. I told him "none" as, they weren't available. All I used was plastic rod/sheet/strip/ a well equipped spares box and, imagination!. The look on his face was a picture! This was a concept he had difficulty grasping!
Now, getting back to the aforementioned Rotodyne, I'll probably repeat the process as, I enjoy doing it. At the moment, I've built an interior for the bomb bays on an old Airfix B-29 out of a combination of kit parts, spares box  and, the previously noted plastic building materials. I'll be doing the cockpit next! I get more fun out of refurbishing (if that's the right word) old kits than I do with modern efforts that just fall together. Frankly, they're BORING!! :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

zenrat

I'll build my way, you build yours.
I could scratchbuild, but I have issues with consistency and getting four identical tip jets would mean making at least eight.  Forget about scratching up an entire cabins worth of seats.  And if it involves research?  You can also forget it.
I'd rather complete two 'dynes than have one on the shelf of doom and two unstarted.
Plus, if I can support a cottage industry I will.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

As it's all inside the fuselage it shouldn't be too much of a scale-o-rama operation to use the Revell 'dyne interior in an Airfix fuselage. And they seem to be still going on auction sites near you, and they'll surely be cheaper now the re-popped Airfix 'dyne is available.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I'll get a repopped one as they might just redo the glazing, though I won't hold my breath over that.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 06, 2023, 12:55:56 AMI'll build my way, you build yours.

Plus, if I can support a cottage industry I will.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Monster, I wholeheartedly agree with the cost thing, one of the many reasons...  :thumbsup:
And I've long held the view that sometimes we're just too ready to pay enormous sums and assemble all the bits from the aftermarket, where it's not necessarily needed and a little effort will achieve equally good results.

Fred, I also agree with the effort required to get matching parts... and supporting cottage industries - as and when... I tend to 'Pick my battles.'  ;)
(Alright, 'Chicken out of paying enormous sums', if you insist!)  ;D

Beermonster58

Quote from: Rick Lowe on November 06, 2023, 09:07:57 PMMonster, I wholeheartedly agree with the cost thing, one of the many reasons...  :thumbsup:
And I've long held the view that sometimes we're just too ready to pay enormous sums and assemble all the bits from the aftermarket, where it's not necessarily needed and a little effort will achieve equally good results.

Fred, I also agree with the effort required to get matching parts... and supporting cottage industries - as and when... I tend to 'Pick my battles.'  ;)
(Alright, 'Chicken out of paying enormous sums', if you insist!)  ;D
Fair points.
I'm not overly concerned with matching parts , at least if they are inside the model. It can be hard to notice any discrepancies once everything is buttoned up!! ;D  ;) .And, a coat of paint can often hide a multitude of modelling sins in there!.  Now, an example given earlier  was scratch building "a load of seats". That's a fair point and, as far as one Rotodyne is concerned, I can solve that one at least by using seats from my Airfix Skyvans though, I certainly appreciate that won't be an option for many!

As for "supporting cottage industries"?  Well, that's very laudable and, I actually agree but, not if their products are priced higher than I'm willing to pay. I have to be practical. I'd rather spend my pennies on another kit. Way I see it, (again, using the Rotodyne as example), I can have TWO kits or, I can have ONE kit and a load of expensive extra bits costing the same again or, possibly even more..
Horses for courses!  We each do our own thing and, as long as we have a bit of fun, that's all that really matters.

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on November 06, 2023, 10:01:28 PMbut, not if their products are priced higher than I'm willing to pay. I have to be practical. I'd rather spend my pennies on another kit.

That's the whole point and indeed why the subject of price/cost is a rather pointless argument. It all depends on what an individual is happy to spend. It's their money after all. It's why some people shop in Aldi and others in Waitrose to use UK supermarkets as an example. At least with the money we spend on our hobby it is from the disposable section of our income rather than the essentials part.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2023, 12:28:12 AM..the money we spend on our hobby it is from the disposable section of our income rather than the essentials part.

I think that can be a subject for a rather extensive debate, in particular if a few better halves get involved....  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2023, 12:28:12 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on November 06, 2023, 10:01:28 PMbut, not if their products are priced higher than I'm willing to pay. I have to be practical. I'd rather spend my pennies on another kit.

That's the whole point and indeed why the subject of price/cost is a rather pointless argument. It all depends on what an individual is happy to spend. It's their money after all. It's why some people shop in Aldi and others in Waitrose to use UK supermarkets as an example. At least with the money we spend on our hobby it is from the disposable section of our income rather than the essentials part.

:thumbsup: With you on that!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on November 07, 2023, 01:14:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2023, 12:28:12 AM..the money we spend on our hobby it is from the disposable section of our income rather than the essentials part.

I think that can be a subject for a rather extensive debate, in particular if a few better halves get involved....  ;D

All you need to do when the subject comes up is to open the wardrobe door, point at the shoes and then run  :angel:

PR19_Kit

...........or the handbags on the top shelf.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

One time my wife got really mad at me about buying another model I told her it was better than coming home drunk and puking on the living room floor. I might be puttering around in the basement but at least you know where I am.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Martin H

Quote from: kerick on November 07, 2023, 08:24:39 AMOne time my wife got really mad at me about buying another model I told her it was better than coming home drunk and puking on the living room floor. I might be puttering around in the basement but at least you know where I am.

Im impressed. You lived to see another day...............
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

chrisonord

The onlybyhung I have to consider before buying anu more kits is...erm...hmm? I will have to get back to you on that one  ;D  ;D
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!