Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 05, 2024, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on January 05, 2024, 08:50:49 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 05, 2024, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 05, 2024, 06:20:26 AMIt's not limited to the modelling world either. Happens all the time in the most mundane of everyday circumstances, let alone the more obscure.

"What bands are you into then?"

"Oh I'm sure you haven't heard of any of them..."

Hipster 101...

Yeah, bands they "discovered" on vinyl, like Jethro Tull, Blue Oyster Cult, Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan, Procol Harem, et al.

That's when you trump them with the off hand remark "Oh yeah, I saw them all live, back in the day... when they were still alive and touring."  ;)

Or you can tell them that Jethro Tull released a new album in 2023 so are them classed as Modern or Current?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 06, 2024, 02:10:14 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on January 05, 2024, 02:25:50 PMI had notification that the Rotodyne I have on backorder from Airfix is being prepared for dispatch

I'll send Zenrat some extra tranquilisers  :angel:

You think?  It'll still take months for them to reach the distributers down here.

I have two on pre-order with a LHS.

In the meantime I spend hours sitting there staring at the Airfix calendar on the back of the toilet door...

:unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2024, 02:54:24 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 05, 2024, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on January 05, 2024, 08:50:49 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 05, 2024, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 05, 2024, 06:20:26 AMIt's not limited to the modelling world either. Happens all the time in the most mundane of everyday circumstances, let alone the more obscure.

"What bands are you into then?"

"Oh I'm sure you haven't heard of any of them..."

Hipster 101...

Yeah, bands they "discovered" on vinyl, like Jethro Tull, Blue Oyster Cult, Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan, Procol Harem, et al.

That's when you trump them with the off hand remark "Oh yeah, I saw them all live, back in the day... when they were still alive and touring."  ;)

Or you can tell them that Jethro Tull released a new album in 2023 so are them classed as Modern or Current?

Gondor

The ideal hipster band wasn't ever famous, rather they existed for six months five years ago, and did two gigs at which they sold 50 home-made CDs. The hipster you're talking to turned up by accident, bought a CD whilst drunk, and is thus a member of an exclusive tribe of cognoscenti which you can never join because, y'know, you just wern't there, man... :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, "The Ideal Hipster Band" is, ironically, a great name for a band... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Weaver on January 06, 2024, 03:58:01 PMThe ideal hipster band wasn't ever famous, rather they existed for six months five years ago, and did two gigs at which they sold 50 home-made CDs. The hipster you're talking to turned up by accident, bought a CD whilst drunk, and is thus a member of an exclusive tribe of cognoscenti which _you_ can never join because, y'know, you just wern't there, man... :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, "The Ideal Hipster Band" is, ironically, a great name for a band... :wacko:

And you'll probably find said CDs at an opshop in time, as they grow up and shed anything associated with that sort of lifestyle.

The band idea is delightfully ironic, and needs to be done, just to poke fun at the whole genre/movement.

kitbasher

Pretty certain The Ideal Hipster Band's debut album would be called 'The Difficult Second Album'.

Just to be, well, you know...
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on January 07, 2024, 01:51:29 AMJust to be, well, you know...

.......like, cool man..................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

well heres a band that qualify,  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsqjsr07FOM    ive lost sarah   soft water.   heck i only found out as a bloke i was in 6th year with was a massive fan, have the single ( fish cant swim), had the t shirt ( wore it to death)  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitbasher

On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

So the band should be a one hit wonder .......... without the hit then?  :unsure:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

kitbasher

Quote from: Gondor on January 07, 2024, 07:33:37 AMSo the band should be a one hit wonder .......... without the hit then?  :unsure:

Gondor

Oh they can have a hit but it'll only be in San Marino (or maybe Pitcairn Island).

Gondor

Ah, so Hedge Hoppers Anonymous could qualify then?

Beermonster58

Quote from: Gondor on January 07, 2024, 09:46:05 AMAh, so Hedge Hoppers Anonymous could qualify then?
Ah yes, a classic. A very cynical but amusing dig at the media obsession with bad news! 😂
https://youtu.be/AglW6QpmPp8?si=x3qbKNz0mm2OL4yv
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Martin H

Now. This is the sort of thread drift I can enjoy.  ;D   :lol:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Quote from: kitbasher on January 07, 2024, 01:51:29 AMPretty certain The Ideal Hipster Band's debut album would be called 'The Difficult Second Album'.

Just to be, well, you know...

;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:

Collectors would waste half their lives trying to find the actual first album and the band would never tell therm...

Quote from: kitbasher on January 07, 2024, 09:39:22 AM
Quote from: Gondor on January 07, 2024, 07:33:37 AMSo the band should be a one hit wonder .......... without the hit then?  :unsure:

Gondor

Oh they can have a hit but it'll only be in San Marino (or maybe Pitcairn Island).

Exactly: it's the "big in Japan" syndrome, but, of course, it has to "big in somewhere you've never heard of" for hipsters.

Actually "Big In Western Samoa" could be the title of their second album... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on January 07, 2024, 09:46:05 AMAh, so Hedge Hoppers Anonymous could qualify then?

Is it true that they had difficulty getting them on "Top of the Pops"  because one or another  of the band were usually on detachment somewhere ?..................Sorry, the bass player's just  been posted to Laarbruch.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet