Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

With all the cheering and/or moaning over the recent releases, I just realised what I would like to see someday; a nice Airspeed Oxford. A 1/48th issue would go nicely with the Anson. It had wide usage by a number of air arms, and was even pressed into service as a bomber during the Battle of Habbaniya.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Wooksta!

IIRC, Special Hobby have a 48th Oxford in the range.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Rat

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 13, 2024, 04:19:45 PMIIRC, Special Hobby have a 48th Oxford in the range.

At a recommended price of about 50 Euros. Airfix might be cheaper, but I'm lousy at estimating anything to do with money.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Wooksta!

Say Airfix brought out an Oxford tomorrow, it would be the same price as the SH one. They're pricing themselves out of the market.  The new Starter set Spitfire IX is the same price as the Eduard weekend one. I know which one I'd be getting and it isn't the Airfix.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Have to agree with Lee.

The cheapest Special Hobby Oxford boxing is EUR 53.79 which is £46.27 in real money.

The Airfix Anson is £46.99. Can't see an Airfix Oxford being any less than that, and probably more.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 13, 2024, 05:20:53 PMSay Airfix brought out an Oxford tomorrow, it would be the same price as the SH one. They're pricing themselves out of the market.  The new Starter set Spitfire IX is the same price as the Eduard weekend one. I know which one I'd be getting and it isn't the Airfix.

But the Airfix Starter Spitfire is aimed at a different market.  Yes I'd get the Eduard Weekend kit for me but were I encouraging someone (in five years time one of my grandkids, say) to pick up the hobby it'd be the Airfix Starter kit.  Get them hooked and then transition to 'proper' kits.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Rat on January 13, 2024, 04:24:06 PM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 13, 2024, 04:19:45 PMIIRC, Special Hobby have a 48th Oxford in the range.

At a recommended price of about 50 Euros. Airfix might be cheaper, but I'm lousy at estimating anything to do with money.
I wouldn't bank on Airfix being much cheaper! 50 Euros is roughly £43. The Airfix Anson is currently priced at £46.99 on the Airfix site. I havent seen any prices lower than £40 so, not much in it really.  I think Lee is right about Airfix pricing itself out of the market. A hypothetical Airfix Oxford would likely be in the same price range or, probably more. Airfix has, for some of its kits, already priced itself out of my market. Not a complaint., merely a fact. I just do without! Lol! Plenty other kits out there!
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Gondor

Quote from: Beermonster58 on January 14, 2024, 01:22:02 AM
Quote from: The Rat on January 13, 2024, 04:24:06 PM

I wouldn't bank on Airfix being much cheaper! 50 Euros is roughly £43. The Airfix Anson is currently priced at £46.99 on the Airfix site. I havent seen any prices lower than £40 so, not much in it really.  I think Lee is right about Airfix pricing itself out of the market. A hypothetical Airfix Oxford would likely be in the same price range or, probably more. Airfix has, for some of its kits, already priced itself out of my market. Not a complaint., merely a fact. I just do without! Lol! Plenty other kits out there!

Jadlam Raceing have the Airfix Anson at £43.99 there may be other places slightly cheaper but differences may be P&P.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on January 13, 2024, 04:13:52 PMand was even pressed into service as a bomber during the Battle of Habbaniya.

EVERYTHING was pressed into service as a bomber at Habbaniya! My Dad was there at the time......................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Re "pricing themselves out of the/my market", see my post #6646 about working the system to exploit all their discounts. At the moment, Airfix Club is very cheap and very much worth having.

I don't think they're suicidal. It might just be that production and raw material costs are forcing them to concentrate on market sectors when the profit margin is higher. Don't forget, the decal, box and instruction printing costs are a signifcant part of the price, and they are nowhere near twice the cost for a 1/48th model as they are for a 1/72nd one, so if you can charge twice the price for a 1/48th model, then you make more profit. If x amount of effort enabled you to sell 1000 kits at £10 profit each (£10,000) or 2000 kits at £3 profit each (£6000) what would you do?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I've been saying that about 1/48 kits for DECADES, but people always said I was exaggerating the scale of it.  :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2024, 07:57:32 AMI've been saying that about 1/48 kits for DECADES, but people always said I was exaggerating the scale of it.  :(

Surely saying 1/48 kits are actually 1/24 is exaggerating the scale of it?  ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

NOT what I meant of course,  ;D  but here does seem to be some active conspiracy on the part of the manufacturers and the magazines to push 1/48 at the moment.

I'm waiting for the issue of SAM which has NO 1/72 kits mentioned, and I bet it won't be far away.

Regards
Kit

jcf

A 1/48th scale Oxford done to current Airfix standard would be better than the SH kit and, being Airfix, would have far greater market penetration.

Realistically SH and similar are dedicated hobbyist market kits rather than general market. 

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2024, 04:11:22 AM
Quote from: The Rat on January 13, 2024, 04:13:52 PMand was even pressed into service as a bomber during the Battle of Habbaniya.

EVERYTHING was pressed into service as a bomber at Habbaniya! My Dad was there at the time......................

Have you read Hidden Victory, by A.G. Dudgeon?