Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

My wife can't complain (Although she does!) because it was she who encouraged me back into the hobby! ;D  :thumbsup:

(Poor woman! Did she not know how all-consuming it was? :unsure: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

I made it to the store yesterday to get a Valentine Day card and walked out with cards, candy, balloons and flowers. I managed to get it all assembled before she got home. I usually do just a card so a nice surprise for her. Built up quite a few positive points for me for the future.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on February 14, 2024, 09:51:54 PMI made it to the store yesterday to get a Valentine Day card and walked out with cards, candy, balloons and flowers. I managed to get it all assembled before she got home. I usually do just a card so a nice surprise for her. Built up quite a few positive points for me for the future.

Did she start by asking you 'What did you do?'

But: Well Played, anyway.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 14, 2024, 11:20:08 PMDid she start by asking you 'What did you do?'

;D  ;D  Had that a few times. Bought some flowers on the way home from work on impulse and on presenting them got the inevitable "what have you done ?"  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I keep it to V day so less suspicion that way.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

If you have bought the Airfix Vintage Classics 1/72 Fairy Rotodyne the only good thing is the decals. The plastic is the same quality as the Lockheed Martin F-35B. Sink holes and a little flash on the fuselage halves, there's marks on the wings and watch out for the propellers. One good one and the other is distressed or one of the propellers snapped off.at least the clear plastic parts fit. A lot of work is needed to clean the parts up to make them look decent.
I've already ruined my kit by trying to clean it up, the spare parts will come in handy. A retooling would be a lot better.
I haven't emptied the bin yet, so a crash landed example can be built, I'm very disappointed at Airfix for releasing this kit.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on February 16, 2024, 05:25:40 AMIf you have bought the Airfix Vintage Classics 1/72 Fairy Rotodyne the only good thing is the decals. The plastic is the same quality as the Lockheed Martin F-35B. Sink holes and a little flash on the fuselage halves, there's marks on the wings and watch out for the propellers. One good one and the other is distressed or one of the propellers snapped off.at least the clear plastic parts fit. A lot of work is needed to clean the parts up to make them look decent.
I've already ruined my kit by trying to clean it up, the spare parts will come in handy. A retooling would be a lot better.
I haven't emptied the bin yet, so a crash landed example can be built, I'm very disappointed at Airfix for releasing this kit.

Considering that the kit came out in 1959 I would expect it to show signs of wear. Sink marks are a problem with older kits due to limitations in technology mostly. Not having the Airfix F-35B kit your description of the plastic is meaningless, you also say that you ruined the example you have, well that's on you so no point complaining about it here, your blog is the place for that.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitbasher

I've one of the F-35Bs and the plastic is good.  A very well-moulded kit that is inching ever closer to a modelling knife!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on February 16, 2024, 06:45:57 AM
Quote from: McColm on February 16, 2024, 05:25:40 AMIf you have bought the Airfix Vintage Classics 1/72 Fairy Rotodyne the only good thing is the decals. The plastic is the same quality as the Lockheed Martin F-35B. Sink holes and a little flash on the fuselage halves, there's marks on the wings and watch out for the propellers. One good one and the other is distressed or one of the propellers snapped off.at least the clear plastic parts fit. A lot of work is needed to clean the parts up to make them look decent.

Considering that the kit came out in 1959 I would expect it to show signs of wear. Sink marks are a problem with older kits due to limitations in technology mostly. Not having the Airfix F-35B kit your description of the plastic is meaningless, you also say that you ruined the example you have, well that's on you so no point complaining about it here, your blog is the place for that.

Gondor
I was trying to describe the quality of the plastic, the F-35B is crisp compared to the Rotodyne which has lumps and bumps. Even the older kits of the Rotodyne don't have as many dimples. Yes it's an old moulding but it could have been cleaned up or brought to the attention of the quality control manager before being released.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

LHS in the city sent me an e-mail trumpeting the arrival of a new load of Airfix kits into their shop...

...which didn't include any Rotodynes.  These are still listed as "Pre-Order" on their website.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2024, 08:10:27 PMLHS in the city sent me an e-mail trumpeting the arrival of a new load of Airfix kits into their shop...

...which didn't include any Rotodynes.  These are still listed as "Pre-Order" on their website.

I hope you eventually get what you ordered mate. They seem to be going like hot cakes over here.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 25, 2024, 05:44:21 AM
Quote from: zenrat on February 24, 2024, 08:10:27 PMLHS in the city sent me an e-mail trumpeting the arrival of a new load of Airfix kits into their shop...

I hope you eventually get what you ordered mate. They seem to be going like hot cakes over here.

Which is probably why they're not getting to Fred. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

I can get you one if you want. Bear in mind the postage to Aus though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on February 25, 2024, 08:20:03 AM

I can get you one if you want. Bear in mind the postage to Aus though...

Thanks for the offer but I have had two pre-ordered with the aforementioned LHS since they were first listed in their site.  I remain optimistic.
 :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..