Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: Mossie on May 07, 2024, 02:44:35 PMI would like to see a Privateer if they were willing to bite the bullet, the Matchbox kit is the only one I can recall.  It'd  be nice for all those water bomber conversions.
Reboxed by Revell in 2009. Good luck finding one though. I've been trying to get either boxing for ages but, I refuse to pay the stupid prices being demanded.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on May 07, 2024, 02:44:35 PMI would like to see a Privateer if they were willing to bite the bullet, the Matchbox kit is the only one I can recall.  It'd  be nice for all those water bomber conversions.

There was a very nicely moulded vacform Privateer conversion done for the Revell B-24D kit by Uniqueform. I have one in The Loft, but it's almost so good an example of what a vacform conversion should be that I feel I should keep it by for posterity.

Plus the Revell source kit would cost a fortune these days too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 07, 2024, 11:58:05 PM

There was a very nicely moulded vacform Privateer conversion done for the Revell B-24D kit by Uniqueform. I have one in The Loft, but it's almost so good an example of what a vacform conversion should be that I feel I should keep it by for posterity.

Plus the Revell source kit would cost a fortune these days too!
:thumbsup: I missed out on a pair of examples recently, both of which were on sale in a local charity shop for £5 each!!. Shop was closed but, by the time I got there next day, both were gone! ;)  ;D .Life sucks sometimes.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

jcf

Quote from: McColm on May 07, 2024, 11:00:01 AMDoes this mean that there will be a future release of the Consolidation Privateer and B-32 in plastic?
The Privateer would require a lot of changes and the B-32 is an entirely different aircraft,
it's not a B-24 variant.

McColm

Quote from: jcf on May 08, 2024, 01:10:02 AM
Quote from: McColm on May 07, 2024, 11:00:01 AMDoes this mean that there will be a future release of the Consolidation Privateer and B-32 in plastic?
The Privateer would require a lot of changes and the B-32 is an entirely different aircraft,
it's not a B-24 variant.
The B-32 Dominator was developed from the B-24 Liberator whereas the Privateer can be a conversion using the Matchbox/Revell parts as well as the vacform kit. They make a welcome change in either military or commercial usage. RW or whiffery.

Gondor

The only part of the B-32 that was similar to the B-24 was the wing. That is not enough for a model making company to reduce the cost of new molds. Tis is even more true when you take into account how few of the B-32's were made, only 118 were made compared to the roughly eighteen and a half thousand B-24's.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Beermonster58 on May 08, 2024, 12:55:26 AM:thumbsup: I missed out on a pair of examples recently, both of which were on sale in a local charity shop for £5 each!!. Shop was closed but, by the time I got there next day, both were gone! ;)  ;D .Life sucks sometimes.

WHAAAT?   :o  :o

The one I have is the only one I've ever seen! Other than a built one at an early IPMS Nats, no 'SMW' in those days!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on May 08, 2024, 05:47:02 AMThe only part of the B-32 that was similar to the B-24 was the wing. That is not enough for a model making company to reduce the cost of new molds. Tis is even more true when you take into account how few of the B-32's were made, only 118 were made compared to the roughly eighteen and a half thousand B-24's.

Gondor
And yet the Avro Lincoln B.2 bomber is still absent in a plastic model.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on May 08, 2024, 07:24:03 AM
Quote from: Gondor on May 08, 2024, 05:47:02 AMThe only part of the B-32 that was similar to the B-24 was the wing. That is not enough for a model making company to reduce the cost of new molds. Tis is even more true when you take into account how few of the B-32's were made, only 118 were made compared to the roughly eighteen and a half thousand B-24's.

Gondor
And yet the Avro Lincoln B.2 bomber is still absent in a plastic model.

For exactly the same reasons, although the numbers produced were a bit higher it was not as well know of as it earlier brother the Lancaster. As for plastic, there are vac-forms available if you know what and where to look, same for the B-32 I think.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

I think Combat Models were the only ones to do a B-32.  I doubt any uk manufacturer, except possibly Contrail?

Did he change the name in about 1980?  I mean, Sutcliffe is somewhat Ill judged with the Yorkshire Ripper in the headlines around then.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

Quote from: McColm on May 08, 2024, 05:06:33 AM
Quote from: jcf on May 08, 2024, 01:10:02 AM
it's not a B-24 variant.
The B-32 Dominator was developed from the B-24 Liberator whereas the Privateer can be a conversion using the Matchbox/Revell parts as well as the vacform kit. They make a welcome change in either military or commercial usage. RW or whiffery.
No it flipping wasn't, it was a completely new design and much larger. Both used the "Davis Wing" but only in terms of the aerodynamic profile, the B-32 wing is much larger, 135' span, and not interchangeable in any way with a B-24 wing.
:rolleyes:

jcf

Gondor
Only similar in terms of aerodynamic profile, both being examples of the "Davis Wing", they are not dimensionally similar.

McColm

Quote from: jcf on May 08, 2024, 04:13:41 PM

Gondor
Only similar in terms of aerodynamic profile, both being examples of the "Davis Wing", they are not dimensionally similar.
Thanks for the information another build added to the list. I wonder if a kitbash might be easier and cheaper than the Anigrand model.

NARSES2

I've made myself a note for this years SMW. On the Sunday, when it's a tad quieter, to ask those nice people on the Airfix stand what their "minimum projected sales figure" is before they even consider the possibility of starting to look at producing a completely new kit. If I ask in the right manner, and show them my Club badge,  I should get an answer. :mellow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on May 08, 2024, 11:16:16 PM
Quote from: jcf on May 08, 2024, 04:13:41 PM

Gondor
Thanks for the information another build added to the list. I wonder if a kitbash might be easier and cheaper than the Anigrand model.

Contrail and Aviation USK both have done models of the B-32, both vac-forms I think.

Gondor