Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I hope it sells well as then they may do some of the other classes too. A Tyne or a Tamar would be great, specially the Tamar as it carries a D Class boat hidden under its transom.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

I confess to being somewhat puzzled by the apparent popularity of a lifeboat as a modelling subject but, what do I know, I'm just a customer!! ;)  ;D .If it sells well and brings in lots of pennies then who am I to argue.  I'm hoping that Airfix will also issue the new Bf-109F-4 as a stand alone (i e NON starter kit/NON Dogfight Double option). I don't mind it being a quick build kit because I need lots of them to use up the left over decals from the Eduard Bf-109F combi kit! ;D
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

The Wooksta!

I suspect it more likely they'll do a proper kit of the 109F at some point in the near future.

As for a decal hanger, what about the Zvezda kit?  Cheaper and already available. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 18, 2024, 04:20:56 AMI suspect it more likely they'll do a proper kit of the 109F at some point in the near future.

As for a decal hanger, what about the Zvezda kit?  Cheaper and already available. 
:thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Even if they were to do a proper kit of the F, I'd ignore it and go straight to the Eduard weekend F when it comes out.  Similar price, better quality and oodles of spares.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 19, 2024, 01:15:31 AMEven if they were to do a proper kit of the F, I'd ignore it and go straight to the Eduard weekend F when it comes out.  Similar price, better quality and oodles of spares.

Absolutely, a stunner of a kit.

Mind you the AZ/KP kits are nice as well, and they do some Wifs.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

This on-line only bundle from Airfix looks decent:

Falklands Air Bundle: https://uk.airfix.com/products/falklands-air-bundle-bundlea44

1 x 1/72nd Black Buck Vulcan
2 x Sea Harrier FRS.1
1 x Airfix pint glass
1 x rubber+velcro Airfix patch

Seperate RRP: £133.46
Bundle price: £79.99

Even if you ignore the tat (glass & patch), the RRPs of the kits come to £120.47, so that's still £40 off the price of buying them individually.

There are other bundles too:
https://uk.airfix.com/shop/bundles?langPath=airfix-uk&filters%5Bin_stock%5D=true&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_sub_category%5D=Mystery%20Boxes@@@!Hobby%20Bundles@@@!Value%20Packs&filters%5Bmandatory_filter_by%5D%5Bproduct_br_category%5D=br-bundles&page_id=112120&sort-by=8&page=1
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Airfix have just put out a 'Limited Edition' version of their monster 1/24 Spitfire Mk IX, with additional parts and decals to convert it to a Mk VIII, and one of the decal schemes is the famous 'Grey Nurse' one.

But it costs a penny short of £100.00.................................. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2024, 09:16:41 AMAirfix have just put out a 'Limited Edition' version of their monster 1/24 Spitfire Mk IX, with additional parts and decals to convert it to a Mk VIII, and one of the decal schemes is the famous 'Grey Nurse' one.

But it costs a penny short of £100.00.................................. :(
I've never paid anything close to £100 for any kit and I never will. Especially not for yet another Spitfire! Guess I will pass on that one! ;)  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2024, 09:16:41 AMBut it costs a penny short of £100.00.................................. :(

If you compare that to some 1/72 resin kits (I was looking for something yesterday) then that's not that bad, even compared to some injection moulded 1/48th ones it's not bad. plus if you divide cost by hours spent "enjoying" yourself then it's probably cheaper then a fair few other hobbies I can think of. But in the end it's totally subjective, same as the price of a pint  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2024, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2024, 09:16:41 AMBut it costs a penny short of £100.00.................................. :(

If you compare that to some 1/72 resin kits (I was looking for something yesterday) then that's not that bad, even compared to some injection moulded 1/48th ones it's not bad. plus if you divide cost by hours spent "enjoying" yourself then it's probably cheaper then a fair few other hobbies I can think of. But in the end it's totally subjective, same as the price of a pint  :angel:
I find that the "best value" kits in terms of dividing cost by hours spent are often the oldest ones. I like nothing better than picking an old kit , for example Airfix PBY Catalina and, SM.79 and happily scratch building  interior detail/generally enhancing them. I much prefer these to overpriced, modern "shake'n'bake" kits that require no more effort than pouring glue and paint in one end of the box before shaking it and allowing a complete model to fall out the other end! ;)  ;D . I don't really care about "accuracy", all I want is to enjoy the model.

You're right though, cost is a VERY subjective issue. I'll never agree that £100+ is a "good" price for any kit or, that any kit is worth the often large three figure prices  but, again, that's just a personal perspective. If others are willing to pay said prices,it is their prerogative and, certainly not my place to question them <_<

zenrat

Look up the price of the Perfect Grade 1/72 Millennium Falcon by Bandai...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 19, 2024, 02:32:43 AMI much prefer these to overpriced, modern "shake'n'bake" kits that require no more effort than pouring glue and paint in one end of the box before shaking it and allowing a complete model to fall out the other end! ;)  ;D . I don't really care about "accuracy", all I want is to enjoy the model.

You certainly know how to make friends don't you ?  ;)

Just wait until your eyesight and hand-eye co-ordination go and the "shakes" settles in  :-\

Pellson

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 19, 2024, 02:32:43 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2024, 05:40:42 AM

I find that the "best value" kits in terms of dividing cost by hours spent are often the oldest ones. I like nothing better than picking an old kit , for example Airfix PBY Catalina and, SM.79 and happily scratch building  interior detail/generally enhancing them. I much prefer these to overpriced, modern "shake'n'bake" kits that require no more effort than pouring glue and paint in one end of the box before shaking it and allowing a complete model to fall out the other end! ;)  ;D . I don't really care about "accuracy", all I want is to enjoy the model.

I feel much the same, but maybe for other reasons. As an exclusively 1/72 builder (ships not counted) and generally less interested in "perfect" display models than more or less approximate physical renditions of the images I see inside my head, a simple but modifyable kit is much preferred to an exact replica featuring a gazillion of small, complicated and generally from the outside invisible parts just wasting my time. Accordingly, I seem to draw the most joy from old, small and simple kits, such as the ancient Hasegawa F-102's I built a pair of last year. Not too many pieces, quick results and not expensive enough to prohibit chancing on modifications.

It's the much the same with the current Hellenic interest I have been hit with. While I am intrigued by doing something with that Esci F-4E that finally surfaced, I think I'll have more fun with the Airfix/Heller A-7H. Less parts, less hassle and quicker results. I hope, at least..  ;)

That said - I have been known to "invest" in huge, expensive kits too, but it still seems to me that it's the smaller ones that actually gets built..  :angel:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2024, 05:30:30 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 19, 2024, 02:32:43 AMI much prefer these to overpriced, modern "shake'n'bake" kits that require no more effort than pouring glue and paint in one end of the box before shaking it and allowing a complete model to fall out the other end! ;)  ;D . I don't really care about "accuracy", all I want is to enjoy the model.

You certainly know how to make friends don't you ?  ;)

Just wait until your eyesight and hand-eye co-ordination go and the "shakes" settles in  :-\

I'm a very sociable chap. Really ! ;)  ;D .
I'm 66 and, my eyesight is still very good as is hand-eye coordination! ;D .But, I take the point.  The day I have to stop building these old kits and, have to  resort to the "shake'n'bake " efforts is the day I stop modelling because, all the fun will have gone out of it by then! ;D