Airfix

Started by Radish, September 01, 2007, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonster58

Quote from: Pellson on July 19, 2024, 07:35:02 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 19, 2024, 02:32:43 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2024, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2024, 09:16:41 AMBut it costs a penny short of £100.00.................................. :(

If you compare that to some 1/72 resin kits (I was looking for something yesterday) then that's not that bad, even compared to some injection moulded 1/48th ones it's not bad. plus if you divide cost by hours spent "enjoying" yourself then it's probably cheaper then a fair few other hobbies I can think of. But in the end it's totally subjective, same as the price of a pint  :angel:
I find that the "best value" kits in terms of dividing cost by hours spent are often the oldest ones. I like nothing better than picking an old kit , for example Airfix PBY Catalina and, SM.79 and happily scratch building  interior detail/generally enhancing them. I much prefer these to overpriced, modern "shake'n'bake" kits that require no more effort than pouring glue and paint in one end of the box before shaking it and allowing a complete model to fall out the other end! ;)  ;D . I don't really care about "accuracy", all I want is to enjoy the model.

I feel much the same, but maybe for other reasons. As an exclusively 1/72 builder (ships not counted) and generally less interested in "perfect" display models than more or less approximate physical renditions of the images I see inside my head, a simple but modifyable kit is much preferred to an exact replica featuring a gazillion of small, complicated and generally from the outside invisible parts just wasting my time. Accordingly, I seem to draw the most joy from old, small and simple kits, such as the ancient Hasegawa F-102's I built a pair of last year. Not too many pieces, quick results and not expensive enough to prohibit chancing on modifications.

It's the much the same with the current Hellenic interest I have been hit with. While I am intrigued by doing something with that Esci F-4E that finally surfaced, I think I'll have more fun with the Airfix/Heller A-7H. Less parts, less hassle and quicker results. I hope, at least..  ;)

That said - I have been known to "invest" in huge, expensive kits too, but it still seems to me that it's the smaller ones that actually gets built..  :angel:

With you on that all the way! ;D  Thank you for reminding me about the Airfix A-7. I need a couple of those! :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

NARSES2

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 20, 2024, 12:26:19 AMThe day I have to stop building these old kits and, have to  resort to the "shake'n'bake " efforts is the day I stop modelling because, all the fun will have gone out of it by then! ;D

Believe you me, and speaking from experience, it doesn't. There's still the pleasure of the build, albeit it takes that much longer

Chris -  72 and with eyesight issues as well as early stage "shakes"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 20, 2024, 12:34:49 AM
Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 20, 2024, 12:26:19 AMThe day I have to stop building these old kits and, have to  resort to the "shake'n'bake " efforts is the day I stop modelling because, all the fun will have gone out of it by then! ;D

Believe you me, and speaking from experience, it doesn't. There's still the pleasure of the build, albeit it takes that much longer

Chris -  72 and with eyesight issues as well as

early stage "shakes"

Ok. We can surely agree to differ on that! ;)  ;D

Beermonster58

Quote from: zenrat on July 19, 2024, 03:38:56 AMLook up the price of the Perfect Grade 1/72 Millennium Falcon by Bandai...

Don't need to. I think it's a ludicrous price for any plastic kit but then. I think ALL of the Bandai Star Wars kits are way overpriced, especially the 1/12 figures (particularly the Scout with Speeder bike). I thought (mistakenly as it turned out) that the new Revell Imperial Scout might be a more reasonably priced item .Boy, was I wrong! ;D .£60 plus for a quite small model. No doubt the Star Wars geeks will pay any price and, I think the manufacturers price them accordingly. For a more casual fan like myself though, they're a no no. Much as I'd like some of the items, I have no Star Wars related kits at all. Simply too expensive.

kitbasher

Airfix A-7 Corsair: to me typical 1970s Airfix - white plastic, straightforward, good subject, IIRC pretty accurate.  Plenty of RW and whif potential.  Tons of modelling enjoyment to be had. 

Like their Beaver, Vigilante, Super Mystere.  From that era I wish they'd give the Skyvan, O-1/L-19 and O-2 the 'Vintage Classics' treatment.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 20, 2024, 01:22:36 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 19, 2024, 03:38:56 AMLook up the price of the Perfect Grade 1/72 Millennium Falcon by Bandai...

Don't need to. I think it's a ludicrous price for any plastic kit but then. I think ALL of the Bandai Star Wars kits are way overpriced, especially the 1/12 figures (particularly the Scout with Speeder bike). I thought (mistakenly as it turned out) that the new Revell Imperial Scout might be a more reasonably priced item .Boy, was I wrong! ;D .£60 plus for a quite small model. No doubt the Star Wars geeks will pay any price and, I think the manufacturers price them accordingly. For a more casual fan like myself though, they're a no no. Much as I'd like some of the items, I have no Star Wars related kits at all. Simply too expensive.

It's licencing, pure and simple: Disney gets to set the price the kit companies pay to use the Star Wars IP, and they set it high.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Weaver on July 20, 2024, 03:11:22 PM

It's licencing, pure and simple: Disney gets to set the price the kit companies pay to use the Star Wars IP, and they set it high.

So The Mouse is sort-of a RW, Proto-Empire, then...

I'll stick with the stuff I already have (the cheaper, AMT kits) in that case.
Though I will admit I weakened, and got the Fine Molds Y-wing and the Bandai X-wing...
mea culpa, and I claim the excuse that they are Cool! and I've always wanted decent kits of them...

rickshaw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 20, 2024, 06:13:51 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 20, 2024, 03:11:22 PM

So The Mouse is sort-of a RW, Proto-Empire, then...

I'll stick with the stuff I already have (the cheaper, AMT kits) in that case.
Though I will admit I weakened, and got the Fine Molds Y-wing and the Bandai X-wing...
mea culpa, and I claim the excuse that they are Cool! and I've always wanted decent kits of them...

Mickey has to keep his Cocaine bucket full, somehow.  You don't want to see him when it's empty!   :banghead:  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Airfix are on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ) asking if they should re-pop the Boeing Vertol 107-11 kit as a Vintage Classic.

https://x.com/Airfix/status/1814631601654923371

Thoughts?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Apart from the Fujimi one, is there an alternative?

Just DO it!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: Weaver on July 21, 2024, 06:59:54 AMAirfix are on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ) asking if they should re-pop the Boeing Vertol 107-11 kit as a Vintage Classic.

Thoughts?
Only positive thoughts  ;D  I'd be happy with it. The Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme would be real fun!. However, I'd rather they first issued the oft requested but still ignored B N Islander/Defender & Short Skyvan. I'm sure we all have our lists of possible Vintage Classic contenders too ;
Fokker F.27
Super Mystere B.2
McDonnell F-2H Banshee
F-86D Sabre
F-84F Thunderstreak
F-4D Skyray
Dornier Do -17E/F
Grumman Duck
Vought Kingfisher
Maybe even the B-26 Marauder (though, I appreciate it WAS reissued just a few years back)
A-1D Skyraider

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2024, 09:45:31 AMApart from the Fujimi one, is there an alternative?

Just DO it!

Hobby-Boss do a 1/72 CH-46, and didn't someone like Hobbycraft do the Canadian version? I have an old, 2nd-hand kit kicking around that I really should think of something to do with...

zenrat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on July 21, 2024, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 21, 2024, 06:59:54 AMAirfix are on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ) asking if they should re-pop the Boeing Vertol 107-11 kit as a Vintage Classic.

Thoughts?
Only positive thoughts  ;D  I'd be happy with it. The Swedish "fields and meadows" scheme would be real fun!. However, I'd rather they first issued the oft requested but still ignored B N Islander/Defender & Short Skyvan. I'm sure we all have our lists of possible Vintage Classic contenders too ;
Fokker F.27
Super Mystere B.2
McDonnell F-2H Banshee
F-86D Sabre
F-84F Thunderstreak
F-4D Skyray
Dornier Do -17E/F
Grumman Duck
Vought Kingfisher
Maybe even the B-26 Marauder (though, I appreciate it WAS reissued just a few years back)
A-1D Skyraider

Ariel Arrow
BSA C15
BMW R69
All the 54mm figures (especially the cavalry)
Ford Zodiac
Ford Capri
Austin Maxi

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The problem with some of these requests for Vintage Classic releases is that the moulds don't exist anymore, or at least no one knows where they are as Airfix have moved/changed ownership so many times over the years. Some that do exist possibly should have been "lost" years ago as well, but that's a different story.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I'd prefer a new subject; a 1/350 Black Swan class sloop from WW2.

Some videos from Drachinifel to whet your appetite & explain why I'd like to see this particular class of ship in this (my) ship scale;

There is one more to come.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est